585,700 active members*
3,317 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Leaking Lube Pump

In the never-ending struggle to minimize the amount of way oil getting into my coolant, I am now focussed on the Lube pump. It was leaking badly from the drain plug, reservoir cover, and piston rod.

I put teflon thread tape on the drain plug and replaced the cover gasket, but I am still getting a lot of leakage past the piston rod seal. Has anyone had similar problems? Do you know if this seal is user-serviceable or if replacement seals are available?

Not an earth-shattering problem, I know, but I'd like to fix it if I can.

Have any pictures to show ?

I think mine might be leaking, but thought maybe it's from running off the ways.

twocik--

Not really much to show in a picture. I think about half the oil that winds up in the stand comes off the ways, the rest from the leaky pump. The only solution I've come up with for dealing with the oil that comes off the ways is to wipe it up before starting a job. If someone has hit on a better solution, I hope they'll share it.

I know this is an old post but mine was leaking pretty bad also. So I tore the thing apart and there is an oring at the front of the shaft. The oring rides in a brass bushing which has a lot of play, probably will turn a new one to seal things up. I will post some pictures if I get a chance.

Some of you older guys might be interested to know that they now mount the lube pump on the outside of the stand. No more worrying about chips getting into your lube and no more worrying about lube getting into your coolant. If it leaks it goes straight to the garage floor

OK so this turned out to be a pain in the ass. The original shaft had a bunch of play, probably .040 or so and the shaft was also pretty rough. So I polished the shaft and then cut a new bush out of bronze with about .007 clearance....nope still leaked. Tried a couple other ideas which didnt work. Finally ended up making a bushing with about .001 clearance and an oring on the OD with a tapered area for the front oring. No leaking now