585,917 active members*
3,657 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Hobby Projects > RC Robotics and Autonomous Robots > Using laser for cutting and/or engraving

Using laser for cutting and/or engraving

Hi!
    Just came home from a course at Trumpf-laser in Schramberg, Germany.
    Learned a lot from these people about lasers; if i can assist in ANY way choosing a laser to build yourself don't hesitate to reply...
    seems there are a lot of do's and don't s which might be hazardous ...

www.trumpf-laser.de

Can you tell me how much it will cost 500W laser head for cutting.

500w laser

depends what you'd like to cut; steel, or plastics?
    cw-laser with a nd:yag rod is quite expensive (DON'T look for ruby rods!) look for it on ebay...
    i think for hobby you can best use a co2 laser; kits available for homemade.
    google on laser diy
    dpss lasers are nice too; high output for 10ms
    first check what you want to cut most, then look for the right laser.

I need a capability of 0.5 " of aluminum. What type and power would you reccomend?
    Halfnutz

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I plans to build 4axis laser cutting machine and I want to know how much I need power for cut 3 -5 mm carbon steel, stainless steel and titan and how much is price of laser.I plans to cut small holes diametar 2mm in tube and cut sheet metal I need these machine I plans to build car exhaust systems.

Sorry for bad english I hope thad you will understand.

laser type

for alu you have to watch out! absorbsion level is different from steel...
    you can destroy your laser with it....
    for steel and stainless 1KW-2KW might do the trick; co2 is more affordable than yag-laser (180kw input for 2kw output); use allways N2 gas or oxygen for cutting (shielding gas).
    you will also need the right optics for focussing the light bundle optimal.
    try to get more info from a ''local'' distributor; you can't say : a laser is a laser.
    all types (yag, dpss, co2 etc.) have their own do's and don'ts.
    Perhaps a hobbyist already made one himself, find with google.
    As soon as i have my mind made up and found all the info i need i will keep you informed. DON'T GO FOR THE RUBY LASERS ON EBAY!!!! nice for lightshows....
    And if you really want a yag-laser; make sure you get a ND:YAG rod and not a ND:glas rod!
    1 nd;yag rod is good for about 500W; i use 4 sets on my machine at work...
    First of all: get as much info as you can get, since laser is not a toy to play with!
    i can know....
    success

But which type is best for me and from laser specifications which specifications is important to look.

laser type

well, after a good night of sleep i would use myself a co2 laser for cutting/welding (needs 2 types of optic heads); for perfect small holes you would need a pulsed laser. But a co2 could probably also make holes, though not perfect.
    take at least 1KW power, so you can do almost everything.

Otherwise try to look at a oxygen/acetylene ''autogene'' cutting system; not so perfect cuts, but affordable.
    When looking for a yag-laser, make sure the rod is some purple, otherwise it's a ruby (red) or a glas rod (clear).

And....safety first!!! make sure you get the right goggles for the type of laser you buy!!!! Wavelength of yag-laser=1,06 micrometer; co2=10,6 micrometer.
    When a laser is on, there is always some light reflecting which can be hazardous for your eyes!!! And these wavelengths CANNOT be seen with human eyes. For positioning you might need a small(1mW) laserpointer mounted on your system, so you can try it before actually cutting...

Ther are no lasers for cutting steel at hobby level pricing. The Ndyag lasers at 2kw are in the $250,000 price range. Plus you need a robot or x-y table on top of that.
    We use 1.5 Kw Lumonics Yag lasers to cut .060 steel (quickly).

They are very expensive to buy and very expensive to operate. I think we spent +/- $3,000,000 for our cutting cell which consists of 3 lasers, 4 cutting robots and 4 material handling robots. We make auto frame components.

It's cheaper to go High Definition plasma if you can get away with slightly less cut quality.

Eric
    I wish it wouldn't crash.

I find these and what you think.

Coherent General E7000 / CO2 rated 550 watts, producing 500+ watts CW & pulsed / 0.1-10 msec pulse widths / 10-2500 Hz / 208-240 VAC 3 phase input / includes: spare optics, manuals, model 204 power meter / mfrd '89 w/17K hrs / operational when taken out of service / fair cond

A sight with an attitude gota love it.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by wilfredtak

laser power calculation

i just downloaded a great program which can determine what power to use for which material!
    co2 laser only....
    mail me if you want a copy!

What type of laser would you reccomend for cutting up to 1/4" plywood in terms of power, size and cost. What components make up the laser system... tube, powersupply, cooling etc? I'm a novice and considering building a laser CNC machine for production work so any throw as much at me as you can.. :-)

thanks, Craig.

try this ...

synrad has a utility program named lasercutting, which can determine what power laser you might need.
    try it, it's a nice prg!