584,830 active members*
5,698 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > SignMaking > Portfolio Board > Here is a couple of signs
Page 3 of 3 123
    Well Joe you are into heavy duty staff and very nice I must say. I’m only using my CNC Router for hobby and don’t plan to make signs for a living. I will assume that the HP vinyl letters are cut in your plotter and then you stick them to the sign. Sounds an easy process if you have the right equipment.

Ok bpoulin, I think now I get it. I agree that the vinyl may pull the paint and so I will try with the vinyl I have plus I will get some paint mask and give it a try too.

Thank you both for the info
    Nicolas

My experiment didn't go well. I try on painted and unpainted MDF and with the vinyl I have plus painters masking tape.

Although the vinyl didn't peel off the cut was not clean enough to allow spray paint. Same for the masking tape as per attached pics.

So my search continues to find out how I can make two or more cuts with my CNC router and spray paint them with different colors
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MDF Painted.JPG   MDF Plain.JPG  
    Nicolas

Nicolas,

I don't think you can get there from where you're starting.

I believe you should do the routing first. Then paint, then cut and apply vinyl.

I leave about 1/8" around my routed letter for the vinyl to attach to. It's so dog-gone easy. Lets not make it difficult.

Joe Crumley
    Norman Sign Company, Norman, Oklahoma, SandBlasted Signs, Sign Painter, Redwood Signs
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2 copy.jpg  

ok Joe, I guess I will just have to do what you are saying

Thanks for the info
    Nicolas

I think I see where he's trying to go with this. But you may need to use a drag knife first, then weed out what's going to be routed, then route, then paint, then unmask. By the time you go through all those steps, you could paint the MDF, route it out, and fill in the routing by hand.

Never thought that it will be so difficult bpoulin. Your approach is what I have in mind; after all I don’t make signs for a living it’s just for the fun and don’t even have to paint them

I was only curious to find out the process
    Nicolas

Most people who have never made a sign, don't realize the number of steps involved. And the learning curve can be expensive. I have a sign I'm doing for a friend. Large, multi part sign. I'm on #2 because of one messed up step at the end permanently screwed up the sign. I had to start over from scratch. A lot of times new concepts and techniques yield many failures before you perfect the technique. But if you're doing it for fun, find something you like, and try to duplicate it. Keep trying until you succeed, you'll figure out how to get the results you want. Don't look at it as failures, but learning ways not to do it.

all I can say is WOW!!! I only hope to be 1/2 as good as you some day
    AWESOME WORK!

Re: Here is a couple of signs

That's some inspirational stuff.
    Alex~

Page 3 of 3 123