585,712 active members*
3,935 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Prolight 1000 help me!!!!!!

Question Prolight 1000 help me!!!!!!

I am a newbe and we got a prolight 1000 ,from the paper work that came with the unit it is from 1996 I have the computer and contol box but it will not power up. All the fuses are fine
    ? should I get a Gecko G540 and mach3 software and do you think this is a good start? and how hard will it be to get it going ( looks like new )
    Thanks

I have a Prolight TMC-100 and have only found a couple of threads on them. I will be watching you progress though. I have two of the stock interface cards aswell if anyone is interested...

But to answer your question I have read nothing but great things on the 540!

I'm assuming you have the key also and it's unlocked. I used EMC2 on a spectralight mill I did it doesn't need as new of a computer

Yes I have the key and it is unlocked
    I need to find the pin set up to go from the gecko db9 to the control box

Hi,

I have a prlight 2000 all original. so This is for the prolight 2000 but ..

I think the TMC1000 is the same machine with servo motors, animatics controler (in the back control box).

If it is then the connections to it are directly from the computer RS232 (25 pin) straight through to the machine RS232 (25 pin). It does not use a gecko box since the controller is in the back box. (at least on the prolight 2000)

The software is free from prolight (use the prolight 2000 software and manual also free on line).

Since they use the original DOS software you can only go up to Win98SE on a computer since XP, 2000, and Newer versions handle RS232 differently.

I use win98 no problems.

A computer for it running 98 is cheap now on craigs list (got one for $30.00).

Problem is most do not have the DB25 RS 232 so it took a week or so to make the DB9 to DB25 conversion cable and it works Great.

Pin outs are as follows:

DB9 DB25 (machine)

Pin 2 Pin 3
    Pin 3 Pin2
    Pin 5 Pin7

That is it...

You have to be sure it is connected to the com1 or com 2 port (on the computer) so when you start up the software the setup for the prolight asks what port it is connected to.

Easiest way is to say com 2 and run the software. It will let you know if it is connected or not. If not use the other com port on the computer.

If you machine was changed to a stepper than all this is useless to you but if yor machine is original give it a try. This little machine runs great..

Software is very good but it is not like Mach in that the information is on different screens but it is very usable as it is..

Good luck,
    Mike

Hi Mike, Good info there I just finally aquired a Prolight 2000 as well. It has the 42 K spindle on it, so I think for that reason only it needs 3 phase power to run it. My question is......does yours have the same spindle and what converter 2ph to 3ph should I look for to run it. It will be in my garage with only a 220 power source avaiable. Thanks for any help on my problem

Cheers,Steve

Hi Steve,

Are you sure it is a 3 phase?

Do you have the RS232 connector and switch on the back?

They did make it with a 5K 10K and 42K spindle.

I would guess they would all be about the same as far as electronics.

You most likely would have a 220 single phase in it but not 3 phase.

To check open the back and look at the top of the box. There is a Minark varable speed control (for the spindle) and check the model. I think they only made it (like most d.c. speed controllers) in 110 or 220 single phase.

Easier is to check the plug configuration (power in) on the back (the way the plug is configured) and go to lowes or home depot and see the correct plug that will plug into it. (220 15amp, 220 20 amp, 220 30amp).

Then you know what to feed it...

IF it is a real 3 phase you have to use a rotary phase converter only.

If you use a VFD you will not get the correct power and the rest of the boards inside can burn up due (remember it has a computer board inside and the correct voltage for that has to be right on) to the varable freq.

I have a 5K spindle the 42K was for mostly engraving and high speed wax/graphite modeling/dies.

DO not put 3 Phase to it if you are not sure that is what it is...

Again I do not think they made or ever made a 3 phase machine.

You can double check by calling customer service.

How about a picture of it??

Regards,
    Mike

Hi Mike, thanks for responding

Hi Steve,

Are you sure it is a 3 phase? It has a 4 prong plug on it.

Do you have the RS232 connector and switch on the back? Yes.
    They did make it with a 5K 10K and 42K spindle. Yup, its the 42K one.

I would guess they would all be about the same as far as electronics.

You most likely would have a 220 single phase in it but not 3 phase.That would be awsome if it were.
    To check open the back and look at the top of the box. There is a Minark varable speed control (for the spindle) and check the model. I think they only made it (like most d.c. speed controllers) in 110 or 220 single phase. I will do that for sure. It's at home covered up in my truck just now. I have to rent a engine hoist over the weekend.
    Easier is to check the plug configuration (power in) on the back (the way the plug is configured) and go to lowes or home depot and see the correct plug that will plug into it. (220 15amp, 220 20 amp, 220 30amp). Will do.
    Then you know what to feed it...

IF it is a real 3 phase you have to use a rotary phase converter only.

If you use a VFD you will not get the correct power and the rest of the boards inside can burn up due (remember it has a computer board inside and the correct voltage for that has to be right on) to the varable freq.

I have a 5K spindle the 42K was for mostly engraving and high speed wax/graphite modeling/dies.

DO not put 3 Phase to it if you are not sure that is what it is...You can bet on that one!
    Again I do not think they made or ever made a 3 phase machine. I so hope you are right because there are 2 more at work, a Benchman MX and a Benchman 2500, both 200 single phase.
    You can double check by calling customer service.Thanks , I will do that .How about a picture of it??I will try to get some over the weekend,Thanks again!
    Regards,
    Mike that should read 220 volt , sorry

Talking

Just found out from the guy that installed it ,.... the plug that he used is what was available.......a 3 phase plug and only used 3 wires Can you say Happy Camper!! Now I just need to get some room in my garage! Thanks for all the info!

Steve,

Remember that the 4 prong plugs are double grounded (220 new) if not 3 phase (3 live 1 ground).

check the back of the machine. He used the 3 phase plug for the shop (3phase power) and most likely used only 2 hot legs to get 220.

You should be able to make a 3 prong 220 of the right voltage (your 220 to the machine 220) be sure to get the colors correct (white and black to white and black).

Mike

Thanks Mike,

I'm going to be all over this to get the plugs corrected with the proper 220 plugs and will pay close attention to how it was wired when I open it up. Stay tuned for the report

Apologies to Edgdais for hi-jacking your thread, I wish you the best on your machine.