584,802 active members*
4,988 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Smithy > Your opinions about the LX-329 are needed...

Your opinions about the LX-329 are needed...

WGH

Dear Smithy users,

I'm a beginner in this entire machining field, and am currently looking to buy my first manual milling machine (and a manual lathe, also. But that's a different story). Yesterday, I was at my fathers' friend garage, where he had set up his small machine shop. He owns the aforementioned machine (the LX-329), and he encouraged me to buy one also for the small, home machine shop I'm currently setting up.

He showed me some parts he made with it, and I was very impressed with the quality of the parts and the build quality of the machine itself. He put it to action in front of me and it seemed very rigid and capable.

I come to you in order to ask for your opinion. Do any of you guys own this machine? What are your opinions about this machine specifically and about Smithy as a company? It's a bit pricey compared to other machines in its class (it costs USD $2,599), but I'm more than willing to pay the price if it's a good machine and it's worth it.

As a reference, I've got USD $7,000 to spend on a manual milling machine and on a manual lathe. (If you're filling like advising me on a manual lathe also, feel free to do so! )

Please bare in mind that, as mentioned earlier, I'm a beginner, and this will be my first milling machine. So I'd also like to know if you think that it's suited for a beginner, or are there any better options I should consider?

Thanks a ton in advance, guys!

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts and opinions,

Arye Segal.

For What it's worth (I see this thread has sat unanswered for a while), I have been happy w/ Smithy as a company, but it should be noted that I haven't done a whole lot of dealing w/ them over the 10 years I've had my 1220 LTD. I bought some additional tooling and ordered a few parts over the years and each time things were always as they said it would be. The shipping was prompt, and I believe I always managed to get someone on the phone, and someone who seemed to know what they were talking about too.

Of course, things can always change, but I've been pleased thus far.

Hi
    Ive got both Smithies . the lx 329 mill and cz 239 mill.
    Im new to machining also and looked at a bunch of different machines
    before getting the smithies .Went with the idea of bigger is better because you can do the small stuff as well as the larger with these machines .
    Ive had no problems setting up , using both machines .
    Taking a machine class at the moment to be able to get a handle on the
    more intricate stuff you can do with em .
    Probably will put DROs on them after class is finished . Makes em so much easier to use .
    Only thing would have done differently would have been to have gotten the
    elite 1340 lathe instead besides that I cant complain .
    Just be sure to have a fork lift avaible to off load they are big and heavy .
    Used a engine lift once inside the shop .
    Ed

Quote Originally Posted by segal.arye View Post
    WGH

Dear Smithy users,

I'm a beginner in this entire machining field, and am currently looking to buy my first manual milling machine (and a manual lathe, also. But that's a different story). Yesterday, I was at my fathers' friend garage, where he had set up his small machine shop. He owns the aforementioned machine (the LX-329), and he encouraged me to buy one also for the small, home machine shop I'm currently setting up.

He showed me some parts he made with it, and I was very impressed with the quality of the parts and the build quality of the machine itself. He put it to action in front of me and it seemed very rigid and capable.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts and opinions,

Arye Segal.
    Seems to me you have already answered your own question. You've seen one in person, were impressed with the parts it produced and it was recommended by a friend of your father- what more do you need?

Smithy LX-329 Review

Bought this mill two and half years ago after using a Grizzly for 8 years. The Smithy has been absolute garbage. Poor quality at every turn and now it is limited to a simple drill because nothing else on it works. If I could give it a star rating it would get a 1. Based upon our experience with this machine I would not recommend a Smithy of any kind. Simply very poor quality Chinese made machines.

Totally agree with you. The mill is garbage if you want to do anything that needs precision. Even at 0.10”. I use mine for woodworking mostly and it is usable. Like an expensive router. The machine is a sample of the worst cheap Chinese manufacturing. Very poor castings, terrible bad designs, and overall garbage. The bad castings with holes in mine were filled with plaster of Paris and painted. The tolerances are good for woodworking only.
    Stay away even from a used one.

Quote Originally Posted by vonwilliams View Post
    Bought this mill two and half years ago after using a Grizzly for 8 years. The Smithy has been absolute garbage. Poor quality at every turn and now it is limited to a simple drill because nothing else on it works. If I could give it a star rating it would get a 1. Based upon our experience with this machine I would not recommend a Smithy of any kind. Simply very poor quality Chinese made machines.