WGH

Dear Smithy users,

I'm a beginner in this entire machining field, and am currently looking to buy my first manual milling machine (and a manual lathe, also. But that's a different story). Yesterday, I was at my fathers' friend garage, where he had set up his small machine shop. He owns the aforementioned machine (the LX-329), and he encouraged me to buy one also for the small, home machine shop I'm currently setting up.

He showed me some parts he made with it, and I was very impressed with the quality of the parts and the build quality of the machine itself. He put it to action in front of me and it seemed very rigid and capable.

I come to you in order to ask for your opinion. Do any of you guys own this machine? What are your opinions about this machine specifically and about Smithy as a company? It's a bit pricey compared to other machines in its class (it costs USD $2,599), but I'm more than willing to pay the price if it's a good machine and it's worth it.

As a reference, I've got USD $7,000 to spend on a manual milling machine and on a manual lathe. (If you're filling like advising me on a manual lathe also, feel free to do so! )

Please bare in mind that, as mentioned earlier, I'm a beginner, and this will be my first milling machine. So I'd also like to know if you think that it's suited for a beginner, or are there any better options I should consider?

Thanks a ton in advance, guys!

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts and opinions,

Arye Segal.