585,758 active members*
4,619 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > MadCAM > Cutting along a curve.

Cutting along a curve.

This is my problem:

I have a straight curve which I want to make a 3mm deep cut on. I'm using a 1mm flat -end cutter, so I have to make the cut in several turns to prevent the cutter from braking. I think that the operation is going kind of slow, and I'm wondering if it is possible to have the cutter to cut in both directions?

OLDEdgland,

Is this a 2d cut? I have tried cut along curves using both the optimized and Rhino curve menus and got the same result you did, and I also tried the 2d profile cut on curve but it projected a 2d path while my curve was 3d. I have an email in to Joakim now to try to find you and answer to this.

Mike
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

It's a 2D cut.

Hi Odd Egeland,

The current behaviour cuts in one direction, retracts, returns to the start, approaches then cuts again. You want it to cut, drop down to the next level, then cut on the return. Repeat until finished. Is that correct?

What you really need is a "Cut in Both Directions" option, right?

Dan
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Hi Dan B,

Yeah, I need a "cut in both directions" option

Is it possible?

Odd

I haven't found a way to do this yet. It's something we could use too when scribing flat plates. I think we should consider this as an "enhancement request".

If Joakim doesn't respond to this in the next day or so, I will send him an e-mail. I know he's busy adding new features so this might be a great time to suggest this.

Thanks,

Dan
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Well I am a little late getting back, but I did talk with Joakim about this as well as the learning madcam issue. It is true that the cut will only go in one direction assuming you only have one line. You can however create multiple curves for your different depths, assign them different directions in Rhino, and cut both directions.

Joakim said he would look into making a cut both directions an option but did not give me a time frame.

Mike
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

I work around this by changing the curve direction i.e cut along curve Z -1, change curve direction then cut again Z -2, change curve direction again and then cut Z -3 etc. etc.

It's not great but it doesn't take long to do and saves a lot of air cutting.

I think that I'll have to live with the "aircut" until Joakim has figure out a both direction option.

Thank's alot Dan B, turmite and xlr8!

Odd