584,865 active members*
5,061 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Dahlgren SCU

Page 1 of 2 12

Dahlgren SCU

Hello,

I need some technical info about an old engraving system I was given. The prev. owner could not find any documentation. It seem to be a common system, but with very little info on the www.

It has a 3-axis table, Dahlgren SCU together with an old pc with controller card. The SCU front buttons are worn out and I would like a pc upgrade.

Are there any Windows 98/2000/xp programs to run the SCU directly using the old pc-card? If not I tought of using MACH3 with the original stepper drivers (one American Precision and two Parker/Dahlgren drivers.) Does anyone have the correct pinning for for the control inputs, looks like pin 1-4.

If someone have suggestions, software info, schematics, stepper drive card pinning, or some other type of input about this system I would be very happy.

Thanks,

Lars

Hello Loson,
    ive got the same machine, all doku ! and software too. You are a lucky guy
    Maybe you can help me too. Iam lookin for windows software for thi machine.
    Maybe you can mail me an Picture of your machine, so i can see if it is the same one
    Geetings
    Boris

Front Picture

This is the Dahlgren SCU front. It's built 1988 according to the circuit board markings. A number of the buttons are worn out. I will put small push buttons on a panel and connect them in parallell with the old ones.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dahlgren Front.jpg  

I have the same one.
    I have decided to build a new hardware an drive the machine with linux.
    If you only want to engrave Text-plates use the old SCU with an old 486 PC,
    Works fine.
    If you want to engrave graphics with the SCU, you have to to this steps:
    Design a grafik, export to dfx, load on the engraving pc, convert fromm dfx to dw2(Desigcad2) plot out in int-file, convert to ft9 load engraving programm sp350.
    This is the reason to built a new hardware.
    There ist only one possibility to drive it from Windows, you need a Programm named CASdirect. I dont found it yet.
    But you must have the dahlgren ISA-card in your PC to connect to the SCU. There is no serial interface.

Quote Originally Posted by Loson View Post
    This is the Dahlgren SCU front. It's built 1988 according to the circuit board markings. A number of the buttons are worn out. I will put small push buttons on a panel and connect them in parallell with the old ones.

halo i have engraving dahlgren 300 and meny program and job file i need halp with dos programing i lose my hard disk it is no working if you kan halp me i will send you copi from my dahlgren program

Re: Dahlgren SCU

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img088.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	55.0 KB 
ID:	236244Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1660.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	43.3 KB 
ID:	236232have dahlgren scu with system 300 superpro software and documentation...documentation missing pages 1-30 for system 300 table,if somebody have it would be nice to get it(buy,trade,etc),if you need something what i have let me know...
    p.s i know this is antique mashine i think mine from 1992(still works!), and this is for hobby only and or play... Attachment 236216Attachment 236218Attachment 236220Attachment 236222Attachment 236222Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1661.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	33.4 KB 
ID:	236224Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img085.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	18.0 KB 
ID:	236226Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img086.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	13.4 KB 
ID:	236228Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img087.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	13.0 KB 
ID:	236230

To any Dahlgren System 300 system owners... I've own and operated my System 300 since 1988/89 continuously for my business Aircraft Engravers, engravers.net. I use a 486 computer running OS/2 and multiple DOS windows running AutoCAD 10. I send the exported DXF files out using Lantastic for OS/2 to a DOS based 386 computer running CadMark. CadMark was Dahlgren's solution to use CAD files, CorelDraw wasn't available yet. This was pre/Windows 3.0, talk about history.

I've replaced stepper motors 3 times, the 2 spindles I have have had their bearings replaced 6 or more times and the SCU control front control panel has been replaced once. What a chore. I replaced the X lead screw "Nut" with a spring loaded one. What difference in smoothness and NO adjustments ever again. I also turned over and swapped ends of the X axis "dog bone" rail. I moved the air controls to the front right side instead of reaching over to the back of the machine. And I added two "L" shaped brackets on the back of the spindle carriage with bolts running between the two pieces so that I could eliminate the expansion of the gap (space) for the X axis stiffening bar. I found this the best improvement. I had made a box in enclose everything with a debris chute to collect the chips and keep the shop cleaner. Not clean, just cleaner.

This machine runs every business day almost from start to finish.

If anyone has a System 300 for sale let me know. wayne at engravers dot net

I have all copies of software and manuals if anyone needs them.

system I have is complete and running with bunch of additional engraving inserts, original autocad asking for activation tough... I have engraved some stuff from Dahlgren app. to sell it I need to get $700 and I don't think anybody wants to pay that for old machine.
    but if you can make image of your system hard drive,i will pay some $for you, maybe then I can get it used more at least for my hobby.
    thanks

sidlas, I would like to talk to you about this machine 860 653 2780 or wayne at engravers dot net

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigCahoona View Post
    To any Dahlgren System 300 system owners... I've own and operated my System 300 since 1988/89 continuously for my business Aircraft Engravers, engravers.net. I use a 486 computer running OS/2 and multiple DOS windows running AutoCAD 10. I send the exported DXF files out using Lantastic for OS/2 to a DOS based 386 computer running CadMark. CadMark was Dahlgren's solution to use CAD files, CorelDraw wasn't available yet. This was pre/Windows 3.0, talk about history.

I've replaced stepper motors 3 times, the 2 spindles I have have had their bearings replaced 6 or more times and the SCU control front control panel has been replaced once. What a chore. I replaced the X lead screw "Nut" with a spring loaded one. What difference in smoothness and NO adjustments ever again. I also turned over and swapped ends of the X axis "dog bone" rail. I moved the air controls to the front right side instead of reaching over to the back of the machine. And I added two "L" shaped brackets on the back of the spindle carriage with bolts running between the two pieces so that I could eliminate the expansion of the gap (space) for the X axis stiffening bar. I found this the best improvement. I had made a box in enclose everything with a debris chute to collect the chips and keep the shop cleaner. Not clean, just cleaner.

Do you have a schematic of the 300Z control box? I think the power supply off the main one is the problem but really need a schematic to trouble shoot the problem. It powers up on the main side and I can see 63V for the steppers but the front panel is dead.

Quote Originally Posted by dmauch View Post
    Do you have a schematic of the 300Z control box? I think the power supply off the main one is the problem but really need a schematic to trouble shoot the problem. It powers up on the main side and I can see 63V for the steppers but the front panel is dead.
    The person I would contact is Long Ha from LTD Engraving 510 531-3053 ltdengraving.com

Long has been repairing and servicing the Dahlgren machines for many years. He may be able to help.

I've replaced stepper motors 3 times, the 2 spindles I have have had their bearings replaced 6 or more times and the SCU control front control panel has been replaced once. What a chore. I replaced the X lead screw "Nut" with a spring loaded one. What a difference in smoothness and NO adjustments ever again. I also turned over and swapped ends of the X axis "dog bone" rail. I moved the air controls to the front right side instead of reaching over to the back of the machine. And I added two "L" shaped brackets on the back of the spindle carriage with bolts running between the two pieces so that I could eliminate the expansion of the gap (space) for the X axis stiffening bar. I found this the best improvement. I had made a box in enclose everything with a debris chute to collect the chips and keep the shop cleaner. Not clean, just cleaner.

This is an update 3/12/19. I'm still using my System 300 daily. I just had to replace a table linear bearing and an air seal on the spindle lift shaft. Not bad for the tens of thousands of hours on my main machine. I now have two more System 300 machines. They are still running strong.

Hello,

I'm glad your old systems still runs, I recently got a 1988 system 300 that is pretty complete, I have the manuals, the software, the PC with the ISA card etc. I have connected everything like it shows in the manual, and the computer doesn't recognize the control unit. In the lower RH corner it just always displays controller off (or something like that, I'm not in front of it now). I have made sure the SCU is on before booting the PC. I was thinking of upgrading this machine but it still kind of bugs me that I cant get it to work. Do you have an documents that provide any details on the interface between the card and the SCU? I wonder what the PC is looking for, and what this interface is e.g does the PC provide step and direction signals? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cwise View Post
    Hello,

Do you have an documents that provide any details on the interface between the card and the SCU? I wonder what the PC is looking for, and what this interface is e.g does the PC provide step and direction signals? Thanks
    In general:

I looked up all the documentation I have and none specifies installing or testing the computer interface card.

There are two power switches on the SCU. The rear power switch on the back panel of the SCU should be always left in the ON position. Does the unit power up with both the front and rear power switches are turned on? Do you hear a high pitched squeal coming from the SCU? If yes, this is good. Start the computer, do you need to start the engraving software or is it started automatically? Start the engraving software, the high pitch squeal should have stopped. If it doesn't then the computer is not talking to the SCU. For more than this ......

It's best to contact me at work so I can look at what I have and you can do the same. Email photos as needed Wayne at Engravers.net or call 860 653 2780 EST.

The Big Cahoona

I have both switches on the SCU turned on, I hear the fans on the SCU, but not a high pitched noise. (I also have the slew switch on the back in the run position) I have to start the engraving SW, it doesn't start automatically. It looks like the engraving SW is a DOS program and the PC is running Windows 98. This raises another thing I considered, which is that the PC isn't seeing the ISA card at all, but this config was set up where I got it from, I didn't see it work, but I assume it did. I will reach out when I am in front of the machine. I really appreciate your reply.

I just got ahold of one of these machines myself. I need to figure out what the ribbon cable does, or what the software name is, so I can figure it out. I need to understand how it talks to the controller from the PC. If I can get this cracked, I'm going to have it running on windows 10. I can also post results here if anyone is interested.

jimmieclark3,

I hope you got the computer that drives the SCU (System Control Unit). The computer has a card in it that attaches to the SCU via a ribbon cable. Without that card there's no communicating to the SCU which drives the stepper motors. There are ways to get your machine to run, but it'll take some time and money as you'll have to buy software and an interface to get it running. How clean is the machine? Rust free? You could have a gem in the rough as the new China made machines are junk. I've been using mine daily since 1988. Tens of thousands of hours on it and it's still running top notch. These machine are made to last.

What are you going to do with it? What state do you live in? If you have the computer, what software is running?

Cool Re: Dahlgren SCU

jimmieclark3,

I hope you got the computer that drives the SCU (System Control Unit). The computer has a card in it that attaches to the SCU via a ribbon cable. Without that card there's no communicating to the SCU which drives the stepper motors. There are ways to get your machine to run, but it'll take some time and money as you'll have to buy software and an interface to get it running. How clean is the machine? Rust free? You could have a gem in the rough as the new China made machines are junk. I've been using mine daily since 1988. Tens of thousands of hours on it and it's still running top notch. These machine are made to last.

What are you going to do with it? What state do you live in? If you have the computer, what software is running?
    I have the computer, its old. A guy I know bought it, and I am trying to get it running with modern software for him. The machine itself, hardware wise, is a beast. This thing was built like a tank. I was trying to figure out how the PC talks via the cable, but with the beefy controller. I think I decided to start with all new electronics. Going to drive it with GRBL for now, so other cnc software will work on it just fine. I am working on driving the steppers, having some issues with getting them to move right, but upping my voltage and retesting soon.

He is wanting to engrave a bunch of plates etc. So I am going to 3d print him some beds that hold the exact sizes he wants to engrave, adding a camera to it as well so the machine can self calibrate. It can scan the bed for plates, and then automatically know sizes, shapes, and how many are there. Then the software will just ask him to add text,etc. to them, and click go.

I ripped off all the air stuff, and going to keep the air to the blower for debris removal. The Z axis I am replacing with a screw just like the other axis, but will only have a short travel distance. Also adding limit switches for homing.

All in all, should be a really solid machine when im done.

It appears to have been built in 1988 or so. Trying to get it as close to point and click as possible. The guy who bought it knows nothing about machining, and want it as hands off as possible.

Let me know your thoughts. I have tons of background in solutions like this, so it's right up my ally. The software, especially the camera, is going to be a blast. If it all works well, I might offer it to others on here, or sell it ask a kit, if anyone is interested.

jimmieclark3 You have so much going on here. Where to begin or end. I have 3) Dahlgren System 300's 1) Dahlgren System, 1 Precix 48 x 52", a vinyl cutting machine and an old Laser machine. Been in the engraving business since 1989.

If your converting this machine then: 1) I may be interested in the pieces and parts you remove. OR 2) More interested in your conversion to bring my machines up to a new standard. I've been running one machine 6 to 8 hours a day since 1989, the others less so, but a lot. They just keep on going. These machine are better/stronger/wear resistant than anything that is made today. You'll have a strong machine that'll last for many more decades.

Give me a call so that we can communicate better and faster than on this platform

Wayne 860 dash 652 dash 2780 (did that fool all the phone # harvesting bots?)
    EST

Hoping for advice. I have a Dahlgren Wizzard 2000 rotary engraver which is using EngraveLab 5.0 software. My software is failing and the backup disc isn't working. Because the program is probably 20 years old, I haven't been able to find a replacement for sale and the new versions are prohibitively expensive. Do you know if there is any other program I can buy to run the engraver? I only use it to make information plates, small name plates. Thanks for any advice you might offer.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmieclark3 View Post
    I have the computer, its old. A guy I know bought it, and I am trying to get it running with modern software for him. The machine itself, hardware wise, is a beast. This thing was built like a tank. I was trying to figure out how the PC talks via the cable, but with the beefy controller. I think I decided to start with all new electronics. Going to drive it with GRBL for now, so other cnc software will work on it just fine. I am working on driving the steppers, having some issues with getting them to move right, but upping my voltage and retesting soon.

He is wanting to engrave a bunch of plates etc. So I am going to 3d print him some beds that hold the exact sizes he wants to engrave, adding a camera to it as well so the machine can self calibrate. It can scan the bed for plates, and then automatically know sizes, shapes, and how many are there. Then the software will just ask him to add text,etc. to them, and click go.

I ripped off all the air stuff, and going to keep the air to the blower for debris removal. The Z axis I am replacing with a screw just like the other axis, but will only have a short travel distance. Also adding limit switches for homing.

All in all, should be a really solid machine when im done.

It appears to have been built in 1988 or so. Trying to get it as close to point and click as possible. The guy who bought it knows nothing about machining, and want it as hands off as possible.

Let me know your thoughts. I have tons of background in solutions like this, so it's right up my ally. The software, especially the camera, is going to be a blast. If it all works well, I might offer it to others on here, or sell it ask a kit, if anyone is interested.

Page 1 of 2 12