585,760 active members*
3,849 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: I'm confused

Page 1 of 2 12

Unhappy I'm confused

Hi all, I'm in the process of starting a small hobby shop in my garage. I have a Anilam 3300mk control miller and I'm trying to get it power. I have bought a Hitachi AC Inverter from driveswarehouse.com( http://www.driveswarehouse.com/advan...32141&x=11&y=8 ). Has anybody here set one of these up that could possibly give me some pointers?Thanks

Will you just be driving the spindle motor with the Hitachi unit? What part number is the Hitachi unit? (the link just went to a search page) What power do you have available?

I have model #SJ200-022NFU, it's only purpose is to drive the motor and I have 220 power availiable. I thought I could just wire it up and go but I guess I was mistaken. Thanks for any help

I am assuming you have the instruction manual http://www.driveswarehouse.com/docum...chi/SJ200M.pdf
    and have looked it over. You will probably want the EMI filter at the power input to the drive to keep electrical noise from feeding back down the input power line. There will be some programing of the drive required to get it to operate with your motor. The example diagram on page 4-5 of the manual shows the gereral connection scheme. For remote on/off (run forward only), the simplest connection to the terminals PCS and 1-6 would be a switch from the PCS terminal to terminal 1. A relay contact from your machine controler could be used in place of the switch ( the original spindle motor contactor for instance ). You should be able to program fairly rapid acceleration and deceleration rates for your application. If you plan on controlling the spindle speed from the controller, things become a bit more complicated. Not knowing the specific output available from your controller precludes me from advising further at this point.

Do you think I should hire a electrician or something, or do you think a machinist with basic electrical knowledge could figure it out??

Most VFD's will run out of the box, there are a few minimum parameters that should be set, e.g. 2 or 4 pole motor, voltage etc, you have not mentioned how far you have got with it?
    If you can operate a computer, you should be able to make headway with a VFD, although obviously you have to be capable of hooking up the basic wiring requirements, which are not that complicated.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

What everybody has failed to tell you so far is that a VFD only powers an electric motor.

To control a complete machine you need a ROTARY PHASE CONVERTER

The downside is while the ROTARY PHASE CONVERTER is running and not running the machine you are destroying the planet wasting electricity and wasting money.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by M250cnc View Post
    What everybody has failed to tell you so far is that a VFD only powers an electric motor.
    Post #3 mentions he is controlling the motor ONLY.
    Al.

Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    Post #3 mentions he is controlling the motor ONLY.
    Al.
    Opps missed that (chair)

Phil

The controls on the machine run on 110v only the motor is 3 phase.I have the machine tied into the VFD just like it was pluged in.however when I tried to start the machine by my machine controls nothing happened. I'm guessing there's more complicated wiring involved to make it right but I'm not sure

It sounds like you are trying to integrate it into the controller analogue output for spindle control?
    First get it going and set it up by placing a pot across the speed input terminals, the manual will show how to do this, once you have it set up manually then you can progress to hooking it up to the controller.
    Al.

Albert E.

Al, not sut what you mean by "pot". also do I just need to hook up the FWD and RVS relays to the inverter? thanks

I use a similar type of inverter, they can be quite daunting.

There is a pot built in "POTENTIOMETER" to vary the speed.

So out of the box you could wire it up press start and then use the pot to control the speed.

They are also controlled by altering the programming so that a signal going across two inputs would turn on the unit this would be in the form of a relay controlled and built into the controller the same applies that the speed can be controlled by a 10v supply in my case Mach3

Once you have set them up this way they then cant be controlled by the front panel.

I suggest you get used to the programming away from the controller so there is no expensive smoke or get some help as it could cost you not to

Phil

I've got the forward and reverse hooked up to the inverter now amd my spindle now turns:rainfro:.Now my problem is if I turn on the spindle while the inverter is at a full 60hz I get an error but if I start it a 0hz and them move the know to 60hz in goes fine, I hope it's something I can fix in the programming of the inverter.

You need to program a start to full speed time normally, these default to 10 seconds as well as a slow down time

Phil

Uhhh... make sure there are no contactors, relays, etc. between the inverter and the motor. The inverter should connect directly to the motor, or through a filter to the motor, with no means of interupting the power except with the inverter control. The inverter will handle the forward / reverse for you with appropriate connections to terminals #1 and #2 and the PCS terminal.

Steve

"Uhhh... make sure there are no contactors, relays, etc. between the inverter and the motor. The inverter should connect directly to the motor, or through a filter to the motor, with no means of interupting the power except with the inverter control. The inverter will handle the forward / reverse for you with appropriate connections to terminals #1 and #2 and the PCS terminal."

Right now I have the inverter wired directly to the motor. And terminals #1 and #2 and the PCS terminal going to the FWD & RVS relays, I guessing this is wrong. Do I hook them up to the contacts instead?? I want to use my machine control to turn the spindle on and off. Your help is greatly appreciated......Mike

Fwd/Rev inputs should be connected to N.O. contacts not the relay coils.
    Al.

Albert E.

Al
    I not sure what the N.O. contacts are. I'm guessing they the contacts on the coils that would accuate when I push the spindle forward or reverse buttons on my machine control. I have a blk wire going in one side and a red on the other, if that helps?? thanks

N.O. (Normally Open) contacts, you will need the machine to pick up the relay coil and a normally open contact close either fwd or rev input.
    As per the manual.
    Unless your controller has a couple of contact closure outputs for the spindle control, if so you do not need the relay's.
    If you want the controller to control the speed, the Pot. has to be replaced by an analogue output from the controller to what was the pot common and the pot slider.
    H.O.L. terminals, only the O & L are used for a controller analogue signal.
    Al.

Albert E.

Page 1 of 2 12