585,885 active members*
5,922 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

View Poll Results: Is the CarveWright CNC capable of cutting precise guitar necks and bodies?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Can the CarveWright cut guitar neck 12" to 10" radius?

3 100.00%
  • Will the CarveWright work well on hard woods?

0 0%
  • Do I use CarveWright bits only, can I get elsewhere?

0 0%
  • How long will the bits last?

0 0%

Smile Hello everyone - CarveWright CNC

Yes, I'm a newbie but not for long. I'm very interested in buying a Carvewright CNC.

I plan to build electric guitars and necks with it and anything else that looks good. I'm also interested in discussions regarding CNC machining electric guitar body shaping, template making, inlay part cutting and pocketing, neck shaping and carving.

Feel free to chime in and let me know what you think. I will certainly value anyone's opinion. For me, it's a substantial investment and I'd like to make a well informed decision. Thanks everyone, I appreciate your feedback.

Best Regards

New to CNC Zone

I registered a few months ago, but do not know how to start a post, so am replying to one.

I have manual machines at the moment (2 mills and a lathe), but years ago had experience with several cnc machines and programming.

I still have a lot to lean about machining, and figured I would find good information on this site.

I also have an EMCO 6 inch dividing rotary table and need to buy/make some parts to turn the head. Anyone know where to buy or get dimensions?

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Bob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 6525 Colchester Lathe 13 x 36 in process.jpg   Clausing 8520 SN in 3000's.jpg  

Hello Bob,

I'm new too, I just figured out how to post. Try this link please see this page to answer all your questions- http://cnczone.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=188 make sure you look at the very bottom of the page. If you have other questions, contact the webmaster - he's very good and responsive.

One more thing, can you machine guitar components like head, tremolos, bridges etc. It looks like you've got some heavy duty gear there. Looking forward to your reply.

new guys

My best advice is to "own the data"

sketch, design, model 3-D, program CNC machine, then....

rent someone else's machine to execute the design,
    only buy a machine for the production run.

It is easy to get distracted from the task while messing around learning the machine end of the job.

Then do the finishing of the machined blank.
    Been doing this too long

In my opinion, the biggest mistake a lot of these manufacturers make, is to detail in their literature how "easy" it is to use a CNC machine...yes, it is easy after a while, but that is only AFTER you have MASTERED modeling..

Remember, to create something, you have to model it first, and that takes time!

SO what bostosh said: Own the data! And I would go as far, Learn how o create the data....then the cnc process comes a lot easier!
    ------------------
    http://www.cncguitar.com

Anytime someone says "All you have to do is.....", be suspicious, very suspicious. You are in the company of a seasoned snake oil salesman.

This is the most understated phrase in the English language.

CarveOne
    CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

I'm on my 4th cnc machine. I built two,and bought two. I've read a lot of negatives about the Carvewright and personally wouldn't put my money into it. My lastest machine is a K2 2514. I bought the empty frame and table on ebay and added motors and controllers assembled by probotix. It is by far a great machine for the price and I wish I hadn't purchased the PCNCautomation router that I did about a year ago. Although I've seen liguidguitars making nice a nice product from the carvewright, the failure rate of them is enough to keep me from entertaining the idea of owning one. I bought a copy of Rhino and have been involved in a year long learning curve. I'm getting better all the time. It is a great program for 3D.

Quote Originally Posted by ericguti123 View Post
    Yes, I'm a newbie but not for long. I'm very interested in buying a Carvewright CNC.

I plan to build electric guitars and necks with it and anything else that looks good. I'm also interested in discussions regarding CNC machining electric guitar body shaping, template making, inlay part cutting and pocketing, neck shaping and carving.

Feel free to chime in and let me know what you think. I will certainly value anyone's opinion. For me, it's a substantial investment and I'd like to make a well informed decision. Thanks everyone, I appreciate your feedback.

Best Regards
    Having built two CNC machines and worked with 3 others I find the Carvewright to be an incredible piece of engineering for projects it was designed for. Having said that as long as you design within its limitations and use a little creative thinking you can do just about anything on it you can do on one of the bigger bed machines, it just takes a little more work to put the pieces together. But where else can you get a great machine for $1300??

Do a google search for Liquid Guitars to see what a carvewright can do with instruments.

Carvewright C machines vs older A & B models

I've watched the hit or miss of Carvewright since the company first started selling equipment and if you haven't looked at the new machines you ought to. I was convinced by a local Carvewright wizard that they are well worth another look if you've walked away from them in the past.

The price point is great and the nearest to it in capabilities is more than twice the cost and a piece of junk IMHO. I like my homebuilt CNC for the bed size and am working on a second larger heavier duty machine now, but I'd like to get a carvewright for doing smaller projects. The software is almost too simple for those of us using professional CAD/CAM, but I have been very succesful importing STL files and patterns I already have.

Check out the CNC art guild at CNC Art Guild to see what you can do with one.