585,997 active members*
5,068 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Spindle and ER16 tooling

I am planning to purchase ER16 based spindle(preferably Sherline OR Chinese ) but bit confused if they work out for me. I need to do some face milling for truing the surface and make some large holes.
    As I am new to machining, I will be grateful if somebody has got the answers or point to some useful link.

1. What kind of tool shank can be used in ER type collets. Is it straight shank or tapered shank?
    2. Is it possible to use ER16 for face milling or boring. I mean, can I get boring head and face mill or fly cutter for these collets. I could not find anything below ½ inch.
    3. The Chinese spindles(1.5kw) are rated to work at 10000~24000 rpm. Will it work with 500~3000 rpm generating sufficient torque of face milling?

ER use straight shank tools. ER 16 will take up to a 3/8" shank.

Taig sells a fly cutter that will work.

Little Machine Shop sells a boring head adapter that replaces the ER 16 nut: http://littlemachineshop.com/product...3122&category=

AFAIK the air-cooled chinese spindles will not run under 6000 or 8000 rpm (cooling issue). The water-cooled ones might but I doubt that they would have enough torque at low speeds.

bob

Thanks for the reply.

It seems i have 2 options.
    1) Using a chinese spindle and use smaller router bit for boring large holes.
    2) Instead of using Sherline ER16 spindle, it is better to use MT1 version. In that case boring and fly cutting cab be easily done. Also ER11~ER25 adapter can be used if i need to ER collets.

But, still i have a question.
    How to true the surface of almunium using high rpm spindles. Fly cutters/Large face mill may be difficult to use at high speeds. Smaller diameter end mill can be used although. But can it produce a nice flat surface?

Though it can be done. I truly wonder if a spring collet is really the best way of holding a fly cutter or an end mill. On my Dyna 2400 mill they made tool holders similar to a BT series. I did find 3 of these and had them shipped along with some other items. Due to lazy packagaing by the seller, they fell out in transit though I did receive the other parts needed and still financially it was well worth the price paid. However those tool holders dont seem to be available thru the manufacturer any more. They appeared to have the taper of an ER with a nut that draws the taper into the spindle and the tool was held in with a set screw or some other means. I cant seem to find them but this would be the best way IMO.