585,959 active members*
4,711 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Did I get a bargain?

OK I think I got a bargain, A series II 3 hp Bridgeport mill off E-bay. It has a problem with the controller but I figured on a retrofit anyway. I figure with my going and picking it up 300 miles away I will have about $1300 in it. Looks to be in acceptable shape.

My question is can I use a gecko 3XX setup to drive this beasty. Anybody know about these servos? rated 48V 10amp Still unsure about the encoder line per rev.From the label it looks like anywhere from 500-2500 but I bet they are 1000.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Series2-CNC.jpg   Series2-motor.jpg  

The Gecko servo drives will handle up to 20 amps @ 80 volts, so they will work for you. How many wires are coming out of the encoder. The Gecko takes 4 wires for encoder input. I'd say you got a good deal on it even though it was 300 miles away and with the price of gas. Now, how many true friends do you have and how many cases of beer will it take to get it set in place. It's a big one.
    If it's not nailed down, it's mine.
    If I can pry it loose, it's not nailed down.

Quote Originally Posted by 2muchstuff
    The Gecko servo drives will handle up to 20 amps @ 80 volts, so they will work for you. How many wires are coming out of the encoder. The Gecko takes 4 wires for encoder input. I'd say you got a good deal on it even though it was 300 miles away and with the price of gas. Now, how many true friends do you have and how many cases of beer will it take to get it set in place. It's a big one.
    Well they will load at the other end and I figure I can break the head and ram down to help the move at this end. The 1300 should include truck rental to go and get it. Well maybe it will be 1450 with the gas. But a regualr old worn out hand crank Bridgeport I on ebay gets $2500. It was a nice snipe I think, we will see. It looks like the knee has a drive retrofited to it as well. I sure am hoping it is a bargain all around.

Sounds like a bargain to me. I hope the mechanics are in good working condition, and even if not you can still do the retrofit and repair the wore components later (I would assume nothing to be blatantly broken).
    Have fun, you should be running in no time.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

"even though it was 300 miles away and WITH THE PRICE OF GAS" Are you serious? I'm sure all our European members will get a laugh out of this one! Ask Einar how much he's paying per US Gallon (4L). Nah, I'm just jealous, that's all! Back to being serious, that mill was a great find and good luck with the project. I hope you'l post the log. This idea of rebuilding an 80's or 90's mill is really appealing to me.

Nice! Figure once its running and cleaned up its worth at least five, maybe ten, how can you lose if you got the room and the time and money. You sure couldnt do any better than that, unless someone gave you one. I was looking at it too, not to buy, just to look, and thought it was a deal. If I had the space I'd do the same thing.
    Congratulations!
    Halfnutz

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

No! That was a complete rip off! I'll save you the headache and give you $200 for it. hehe

Great grab!
    Dustin B.
    ================
    I hear and I forget.
    I see and I remember.
    I do and I understand.

I agree you were ripped off....I'll save you the grief of explaining to everyone how you were ripped off....and give you $500 for the "alligator pit" you bought.

Looks like a great buy. I am about to pick up my Series II 4hp Bridgeport and retrofit it with PC controls just like you. Maybe we could stay in touch and help each other out with all the problems we're bound to encounter.
    Proud owner of a Series II Bridgeport.

I bought a Bridgeport clone from a retired guy awhile ago for $5200. The machine was manufactured in 1991. He bought the machine new. It was delivered but he never used it. By the time he decided he wanted to sell (2004) he still haven't even started it! I heard from my brother in law about this new machine. Well the first time i saw it, it was dirty, when i started to clean it after i clinched the deal i saw it still had the original graesy stuff the manufacturer coated it before shipment.
    Included in the deal was a 3 inch chuck dividinghead, a right angle attachedment with two arbors and a 4 inch vice.

I don't have the money at this stage to rig it out with power feeds on the y & z axis, digital read out and a few other nice accessories...

Maybe i'll convert it to cnc when time comes...

DieGuy, i think you got someting worthwhile, depending on the condition of the slides, lead screws etc.
    *** KloX ***
    I'm lazy, I'm only "sparking" when the EDM is running....

So does anyone have a clue as to how much voltage these Servo's can take? Is it like steppers or do I need to stay at 48VDC range to be safe? If I get lucky the current controller will contain the necessary Power Supply.

Maybe you should ask that question to Marriss at the Geckodrive yahoo group. He is very forthcoming with support for his products and will give all the detail you need.
    Regards,
    Mark

Are you certain this is a 3 HP head? It sure looks like the typical Series 2 which had a 4 HP motor. The last years these were sold as manual machines they were in the high 30 grand range, price wise.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by machintek
    Are you certain this is a 3 HP head? It sure looks like the typical Series 2 which had a 4 HP motor. The last years these were sold as manual machines they were in the high 30 grand range, price wise.

George
    Nope not sure, only what the seller is telling me. I will look itover for real in about 10 days when I pick it up, lining up the trucking now.

Quote Originally Posted by Klox
    DieGuy, i think you got someting worthwhile, depending on the condition of the slides, lead screws etc.
    Well this one has been sitting for a while as well, I guess the new controller never worked and the machine was stuffed in the corner for a five years.
    The photos of the ways look very good actually. And I suspect this was an original Bridgeport CNC machine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ways.jpg   ways1.jpg   screw.jpg   way-covers.jpg  

Machintek is probably right about the HP. Mine is a 4hp, and I've never seen anything but a 2hp or a 4hp on any Bridgeport.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Fusion
    Machintek is probably right about the HP. Mine is a 4hp, and I've never seen anything but a 2hp or a 4hp on any Bridgeport.
    I suspect it is a typo and a 4HP head, Me thinks this is going to be a great addition to my little hobby shop. Would be nice if I could get it all up and operational for under $2500 + a phase converter. I am hoping that the Power Supply for the servos is intact. :banana:

Figure that a 8-10 HP phase converter should be large enough for this and a surface grinder. :stickpoke

sorry for the late post, but on servos; Mariss recomends no more than 5V above nameplate .

Hopefully, you will have the power supply intact in your machine.
    Art
    AKA Country Bubba (Older Than Dirt)

DieGuy, would it be possible for you to look on the back of the spindle motor and write down the wiring diagram for the low (220v) connection?

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Fusion
    DieGuy, would it be possible for you to look on the back of the spindle motor and write down the wiring diagram for the low (220v) connection?
    Yeah how about in the morning if I get a chance. I am just underwater this afternoon. Computer Contracting is :bs:

Page 1 of 2 12