584,800 active members*
4,404 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 4 of 4 234
    Donavankk Guest
    Well i used to tremble, the pet container until it was rock hard. I have no concept, what the pressure was
    but it was certainly much greater than the pressure in the mister program.

Donavankk Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Donavankk View Post
    Well i used to tremble, the pet container until it was rock hard. I have no concept, what the pressure was
    but it was certainly much greater than the pressure in the mister program.
    used forklifts

I was informed the link died on this very old thread. Here's a current one:
    Free Plans: Zero Fog Mister | MachinistBlog.com

FWIW, the original is still in use. I'm sure well over 100 folks have built their own.

Karl

Very interesting thread, I will keep following this for further information.

Used Forklifts

Re: How I built a fog-less coolant mister

For those of you that are using the water filter canisters. How do you run the tubing into the bottom of the tank?

Kind of forgot about this thread.

After only 12 years, I retired the original. One weakness on the original was not being able to use air blast only, nozzle too small. Also couldn't point it right at the cutter for a deep slot.

This version uses Lock line, smallest size. Not quite as good at making small mist droplets without fog, but acceptable. This is due to the far larger nozzle - 0.0625. But this allows air blast only by turning off the meter valve and turning the air pressure up.

Also simplified construction by doing it all on the lathe and tapping 1/8 NPT for the Lock line.

Karl

Hi all......just to add another two pennoth worth, I see the system uses air to do a mixing process and you meter the air coolant mix accordingly to give a very wet mixture that comes our as droplets rather than finer mist.

Now having an air compressor on all the time is inconvenient as it cycle on and off etc even if it does use very little air.

I have a back pack pump sprayer for weed killer and other things and this pumps up and dispenses the weed killer as a fine mist or coarser if you want it to do a quick soak, so it could be used for the system but as it needs to be hand cranked to get pressure it probably is an air.fluid mixer which is inconvenient.

I also have a hand spray bottle with a trigger pump that sucks the liquid up and according to the nozzle adjustment gives out a fine mist or a water pistol like jet.

If this works by pressurising the liquid with a plunger and forcing it through a nozzle to atomise, then all it takes is a sealed pressurised container with the coolant and a static air supply......without consuming yards of air.

What I'm talking about is a mist coolant only without the air blast, but I have the feeling that it is the air blast with the coolant that atomises the liquid and drops the mist temperature and so cools and lubes the cutter, as opposed to just a stream of droplets to do the cooling.

If the stream of droplets is sufficient to do the cutter cooling, why use air?

Does the air/coolant mix have to be used as a chip clearer too, which would not occur with a flood coolant system that relies on just the flow of the coolant to do the cooling.

I get the impression that the airstream is the main component and the coolant, which is sparingly used, becomes the add on part for the lubing of the cutter.

I don't know what pressure the hand held spray bottle gets up to, but if you look at a scent sprayer with it's small rubber bulb, there is not much there when the mix is atomised.

I might be overcomplicating a simple plan, but I want to get away from any form of compressor in the design and so a small pressure pump comes to mind..... something that will give about 10 PSI which is more than I would get with a finger rapidly pressing the trigger of a spray bottle.....as long as air is not the main component required to cool and atomise.
    Ian.

handlewanker. Just thinking along the lines you are but what about an aquarium air pump? Not sure of the pressure they put out but something along those lines could replace the compressor side of things....

Hi, I don't think an aquarium pump has enough pressure to move the coolant as the pressure is derived from rubber diaphragms electrically activated.
    Ian.

Hi, just been genning up on spray technology and what it takes to atomise liquid into droplets.

If you pump the liquid at pressure through a small nozzle it will atomise into droplets......I think this is how a plastic spray bottle works, in which case there is not much pressure required to make the liquid spray.

However, for the purpose of cutter cooling and lubricating, it may also require an air blast which in itself will atomise the liquid and form a spray of droplets.
    Ian.

oops, double post....deleted.

handlewanker, flood coolant with enough pressure does clear the chips away just like an air blast. The issue is the potential of it getting all over the place(free shower).LOL
    With flood cooling, you need an enclosed machine or you get it all over the place. Mist has the advantage of using very little coolant and an air blast to clear the chips. At least that's how I see it.

Hi I'm very well aware of the ability of chips to get into every place you can think of, but as most CNC set-ups have a cabinet enclosure, air blast or flood coolant is a matter of preference.

Normal or manual milling does not use any air blast to remove the chips and most time only a moderate amount of flood coolant which by it's name indicates that it's a flood as opposed to a blast, and all manual mills that were around before CNC (and exist now) did not have cabinet enclosures in any form whatsoever.

I'm hoping that the high pressure atomisation of the coolant into droplets will do a cooling and lubricating function, but as to an air blast for chip removal, that suggests a compressor cycling on and off at a monotonous rate that would drive me to drink.......there has to be a better way.
    Ian.

Post Re: How I built a fog-less coolant mister

Inspired by this thread, I built a mister that only uses pre-made parts, a soldering iron, and a drill press. Instructions and parts are listed here.

https://sites.google.com/view/soluti...ter?authuser=0

Hopefully this may be helpful to others that do not have access / or the knowledge to make parts requiring multiple axis parts and threads for which I did not have the dies.

Thanks for all the very useful info found on previous threads, e.g. with regards to length and diameters for the mister.

Page 4 of 4 234