584,805 active members*
4,987 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Digital Machinist CNC Workshop

The Digital Machinist CNC Workshop will be held June 22-25 at Washtenaw Community College in Ann Arbor, MI. We will have a number of manufactures in attendance providing demos and instruction and have a full schedule of seminars to cover all four days. If you are interested in learning more about the event, please visit our information forum at CNC Workshop Information

In the Digital Machinist CNC Workshop forum, you will find lists of seminars, vendor lists, lodging options, as well as registration and payment methods. Information and registration can also be handled by calling Village Press at 800-447-7367.

June is coming up fast, so make your plans now! For those attending the NAMES show in Southgate, MI on April 24 and 25, I will be there to answer any questions you may have.

Thanks, we hope to see you in June!

George Bulliss
    Editor, Village Press Publications
    Digital Machinist
    The Home Shop Machinist
    Machinist’s Workshop

hii its john the forum of CNCzone Club House gives us lots of information about machinist and Rapid Prototiping.Its regular seminars are very encouraging and useful for us .

Digital Machinist CNC Workshop – Seminar Schedule

Listed below is the schedule for seminars and events at the Digital Machinist CNC Workshop. As can be imagined, matching the needs and wants of the speakers and attendees to the availability of classrooms resulted in a few compromises. Because of this, there will likely be some future tweaking of the schedule, but the majority of it should remain unchanged.

I have left some gaps in the schedule and also have intentionally scheduled Friday somewhat light. Several speakers have mentioned their willingness to do a follow up seminar should there be interest and I wanted to leave some room at the end of the week to allow a rerun of the popular seminars.

There are also a few things that are not scheduled at this point. These include, “Basic Multi-tool Operation in Mach3” and “Reverse Engineering with a CNC Scanner,” both presented by Tormach. Roland Friestad will be on hand to help with the Workshop and will be doing several seminars as well. Brian Barker of Newfangled Solutions (Artsoft and Mach) is planning on giving a few talks as well. Rick Chownyk plans to do a few casting demonstrations (Cheap and Free Casting and Lost Foam Casting), weather permitting.

This list does not include the demonstrations the vendors will be doing throughout the week; there should be plenty to see and do all four days!

From 8-9 each day we will have coffee available and the majority of vendors should be on hand. Lunch will be from 12-2 each day, though some seminars run into this time. Tuesday morning from 9-10 will be an orientation and question and answer session. The seminars and times for the week are:

Tuesday
    EMC Lab – from 10-12, by Ray Henry
    Cheap and Easy CNC – 10-12, presented by Rick Chownyk
    Adventures in Home Shop CNC – 10-12, by Ron Ginger
    Hands-on CAM Workshop – 2-4, by Tormach
    Spindle, Servo, and Stepper Motors – 2-4, by Steve Stallings of PMDX
    Wiring a Low Cost Electrical Enclosure – 2-3, by Bob Campbell
    An Overview of Pico Systems CNC Products – 4-5, by Jon Elson of Pico Systems

Wednesday
    Getting Started in CNC – 9-10, by Tony McKenzie of Vetric
    Machine Tool Manufacturing in China – 9-11, by Greg Jackson of Tormach
    EMC Lab – 10-12, by Ray Henry
    Cheap and Easy CNC – 10-12, by Rick Chownyk
    Writing Mach Wizards – 1:30-5, by Ron Ginger
    Grounding, Shielding, and Isolation – Safety and Noise Issues – 2-4, by Steve Stallings of PMDX
    How Things Move – 3-4, by Rick Chownyk
    Servo Tuning on EMC2 – 4-5, by Jon Elson of Pico Systems

Thursday
    What Makes a Machine “CNC Ready” – 9-10, by Fred Smith of IMService
    EMC Lab –10-12, by Ray Henry
    CNC for Model Making – 2-3, by Tony McKenzie of Vetric
    Emergency Stop Circuits, Mains Disconnect and Other Considerations – 2-4, by Steve Stallings of PMDX
    CAD and CAM Alternatives; From Free to “You Probably Can’t Afford It” – 3-4, by Fred Smith of IMService
    The Ins and Outs of Brushless Motors – 4-5, by Jon Elson of Pico Systems

Friday
    My Quest for an Inexpensive Desktop Tool Changer – 9-10, by Fred Smith of IMService
    EMC Lab –10-12, by Ray Henry
    Decorative Design and CNC Machining – 2-3, by Tony McKenzie of Vetric
    Other seminars to suit demand.
    BBQ starts at 5

More information can be found at:

CNC Workshop Information

George

3 Weeks and closing!

Just a reminder that the cnc-workshop is only 3 weeks away! This is a continuation of Roland Friestad's cncworkshop which was held in Galesburg IL. for many years. After being unable to continue the workshops, Village press (digital machinist, Home shop machinist, projects in metal...) decided that is was important enough to continue the tradition! Being held in Michigan for the first time (and a lot closer to my home!) it should be a great event! Check out the Digital machinist bbs for lots of info and where to stay.

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/forumdisplay.php?f=10

And, for a more social site go to the Yahoo group site. This is a site for info about the show as well as a great place to ask questions that the Digital site may not have. Most of the seminar speakers and vendors are on this site, so feel free to ask questions about the workshop!

Http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CNCWORKSHOP

Should be a great to have the workshop back!
    See ya there! Rick Rickomatic

Due to the fact that Ray Henry will not be able to make this year’s event, I have had to make a few minor changes to the schedule. We will still have the hands-on EMC workshop, but won’t be able to run it on Tuesday. It will continue to be available the remaining days, from 10-12.

Because of the change on Tuesday, Bob Campbell’s talk, “Wiring a Low-cost Electrical Enclosure” will be moved to the 10-12 slot. Taking Bob’s afternoon spot, will be Brian Barker of Newfangled Solutions (Mach3).

On Tuesday, from 2-4, Brian will present, “Getting Started in Mach3.” Brian will also do two other seminars later in the week. He will give “The Future of Mach3, Version 4” on Wednesday morning, and will host a Mach 3 general discussion with Ron Ginger on Thursday afternoon.

I’m sorry for the last minute changes to the schedule. Hopefully, the only changes from this point forward will be additions to the lineup. Roland Friestad will be giving several talks and Glen Michalske of PBC linear is also planning on giving a talk.

I’ll keep you posted on any other last minute changes.

The updated schedule is:

Tuesday – June 22
    Kick-off Meeting – 9-10
    Wiring a Low Cost Electrical Enclosure – 10-12, by Bob Campbell
    Cheap and Easy CNC – 10-12, presented by Rick Chownyk
    Adventures in Home Shop CNC – 10-12, by Ron Ginger
    Hands-on CAM Workshop – 2-4, by Tormach
    Getting Started in Mach – 2-4, by Brian Barker of Newfangled Solutions
    Spindle, Servo, and Stepper Motors – 2-4, by Steve Stallings of PMDX
    An Overview of Pico Systems CNC Products – 4-5, by Jon Elson of Pico Systems

Wednesday – June 23
    Getting Started in CNC – 9-10, by Tony McKenzie of Vectric
    How Things Move – 9-10, by Rick Chownyk
    EMC Lab – 10-12
    The Future of Mach3, Version 4 – 10-12, by Brian Barker of Newfangled Solutions
    Writing Mach Wizards – 1:30-5, by Ron Ginger
    Grounding, Shielding, and Isolation – Safety and Noise Issues – 2-4, by Steve Stallings of PMDX
    Machine Tool Manufacturing in China – 2-4, by Greg Jackson of Tormach
    Servo Tuning on EMC2 – 4-5, by Jon Elson of Pico Systems

Thursday – June 24
    What Makes a Machine “CNC Ready” – 9-10, by Fred Smith of IMService
    An Overview of Simple CNC – 9-10, by Jeff Roark of Simple CNC
    EMC Lab –10-12
    An Introduction to MachStdMill - the new screen set for Mach3 v3 & v4 – 10-12 (tentative), by Dave Bagby of Calypso Ventures, Inc
    CNC for Model Making – 2-3, by Tony McKenzie of Vectric
    Emergency Stop Circuits, Mains Disconnect and Other Considerations – 2-4, by Steve Stallings of PMDX
    CAD and CAM Alternatives; From Free to “You Probably Can’t Afford It” – 3-4, by Fred Smith of IMService
    Mach3 General Discussion – by Brian Barker and Ron Ginger
    The Ins and Outs of Brushless Motors – 4-5, by Jon Elson of Pico Systems

Friday – June 25
    My Quest for an Inexpensive Desktop Tool Changer – 9-10, by Fred Smith of IMService
    EMC Lab –10-12
    FlashCut CNC’s New Line of Integrated Controllers and Retrofits – 10-12, by Ron Worth
    Decorative Design and CNC Machining – 2-3, by Tony McKenzie of Vectric
    Other seminars to suit demand.
    BBQ starts at 5

See you at the Workshop!
    George

Just got home

Just got home this morning from the CNC Seminar in Ann Arbor, MI.

There were a lot of famous names there, and it was really great to talk to the movers and shakers in the home and small shop cnc industry. The Mach3 crew were there, almost the entire EMC development team, Tormach, Flashcut, PMDX, Fred Smith, and many many others.

I had a lot of questions to ask when I showed up, and found it almost impossible to think up a question that I couldn't get an immediate, authoritative, correct answer, plus lots of other type of answers to the same questions.

The EMC crew had a 2 hour seminar scheduled every morning and afternoon. Think we probably averaged about 8 hours per day in that seminar. I probably should have just brought my sleeping bag and camped in the back of that one classroom.

Ran across two different guys doing almost exactly the same Bridgeport rehab that I'm doing, plus Roland, who probably doesn't even have an idea how many of that same rehab he's done.

Although the seminar hosting and setup wasn't perfect, George really did a credible job of his first time effort. A new catering company did an excellent job with the box lunches, but George just didn't order enough coffee and donuts and such for each morning. To be fair, George had expected 72 people, and 159 attendees showed up.

A fair number of door prizes were donated, let's thank the vendors for those. Hope more vendors will be willing to throw a prize or two in the pot.

If you're new at cnc, or perhaps if you're not, you should plan now to attend next year's seminar.

Tom

Is there a video of all the demos and classes that will be available for those of us that couldn't make it?

Gary

Great Show !

It's really hard to put it all in words, but yes, it was really great!
    As for videos, that was not planned for this year, but somebody was taping my last session on "How things move". It was about bearings, slides, leadscrews... If I find out who was taping it and they did other seminars, maybe they will make them available somehow.
    If you want to see pictures from the workshop, find the Yahoo group site: cncworkshop I started it 5 years ago just for this reason. It is not for general machining stuff (lots of other sites for that out there) but for discussing past and future workshops. Anyway, look in the picture folder for the 2010 pics. Lots of great pics there! I will try to rename them as to what they are, when time permits. They were taken by Gordon, and he sure did a great job! Just like x-mass, it's going to be a long wait untill it comes again!
    Rick (Rickomatic)

I would have love to have made it. Maybe next year.

Yes.

I am a new member also, and can tell you for sure that new members are as welcome as old members.

And there is a lot of stuff to see. Didn't use my camera as much as I should have. Below is a picture of a builder's plate one member is making for a 2.5" locomotive. Incredible detail. The green in the background is an apple. The plate is approximately 1/16" thick.

Tom
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cnc seminar 2010 004.jpg  

Photos link and welcome to newcomers

For donnaj867 and other newcomers, no worries, newcomers were warmly welcomed. I was pleasantly surprised to see so many newcomers that ranged from those just building or converting their first CNC to some who haven't started. Rick's intro classes were a big hit.

Even more surprising to me was the number of attendees with CNC woodworking routers or even small engravers. I feared I would be the only woodworker but must have met at least 20 and am sure more were there. I guess the change in venue has made it more accessible to a wider audience.

Here's a link to some photos of the event. I'll have to reorganize them later as they seem to have uploaded in a mixed up state.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CNCWOR...18914/pic/list

I think you have to join the group to see photos but that's free. If anyone would prefer me to upload here, just let me know I can do that tomorrow.

Gordon

Great show

It was a great show

www.kelinginc.net

Quote Originally Posted by gb3 View Post
    The Digital Machinist CNC Workshop will be held June 22-25 at Washtenaw Community College in Ann Arbor, MI. We will have a number of manufactures in attendance providing demos and instruction and have a full schedule of seminars to cover all four days. If you are interested in learning more about the event, please visit our information forum at CNC Workshop Information

In the Digital Machinist CNC Workshop forum, you will find lists of seminars, vendor lists, lodging options, as well as registration and payment methods. Information and registration can also be handled by calling Village Press at 800-447-7367.

June is coming up fast, so make your plans now! For those attending the NAMES show in Southgate, MI on April 24 and 25, I will be there to answer any questions you may have.

Thanks, we hope to see you in June!

George Bulliss
    Editor, Village Press Publications
    Digital Machinist
    The Home Shop Machinist
    Machinist’s Workshop
    IS there a date set for the 2011 show. I plan a year ahead and want to attend the next show.

It is looking like it will be June 21-24 for the 2011 event. This date has not been locked in wih the college yet, but I should have it firmed up within the next month.

We are also considering making it a three day event, rather than four. No decision has been made yet though.

George