584,833 active members*
5,702 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Grizzly G0619 Sx3 spindle bearings replacement

Grizzly G0619 Sx3 spindle bearings replacement

Hi all.
    Quazar had some great info and most of this is a cut and paste.

Been looking at the fourms and gathered some info on this upgrade with some confusion I hope someone may be able to help me out with. I have a R8 taper spindle and need to change all the spindle bearings with a good quality brand.
    What I gather is:

Grizzly bearing 32907 (taper bottom) can be directly replaced with NTN bearing 32907XU.

Grizzly thrust bearing 8106 and radial bearing 80106 (top) can be replaced with an SKF 32006 X/Q using the thrust washer that had been between the thrust and radial bearings to fill the gap as a spacer.

Are this the correct bearings?
    Where to buy them?
    What grease to use?

Also I need to replace the top-most bearing (the one that the quill-pully is attached to)? Grizzly part number 80107.
    Any number for a quality replacement?

Thank you
    Artie

g0619 bearing replacement

Just now I am coming up on needing the exact same thing you were looking for. I have found no replies to your post and by now you probably have found what you need. If you fouund something other than Grizzly for the supplier of your bearings please post the part numbers and bearing manufactor for the rest of us. THANKS!!

I purchased the 32907X from a company called eb atmus ,E.B. Atmus:* bearings, power transmission and motion control products
    Here is the link to the part number Atmus Products Search
    I purchased the 32006 from ebay such as this one,NSK 32006 XJ Single Row Tapered Roller Bearing | eBay there are some going for pretty cheap right now, in the 10$ range
    Great upgrade! worth the time and energy to get rid of those crap chinese bearings
    Make sure to pick up some Kluber lube for the new bearingsit can be found in 50g tubes for around 30$, it is highly recommended check out what bob w. had to say Kluber’s Magic Spindle Bearing Grease « CNCCookbook

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask

JTCUSTOMS
    "It is only when they go wrong that machines remind you how powerful they are."
    Clive James

Question Doing spindle teardown.. need help with removing race

OK, decided to bite the bullet and do a bearing replacement. Got some of the stuff on order, so I'm tearing down the spindle.

Everything came apart pretty easy, with some minor work with an aluminum drift. I don't think I have mucked anything up yet.

My question is what is the best way to remove the upper race of the taper roller bearings? I don't see any way to 'drift' this race out.

I have heard of heating up the whole kabang (in this case just the spindle housing, race, and a metal oil shield still installed) and hoping the race will come out at temperature.

I don't want to distort the spindle housing, so I thought I would ask first on that the correct way to remove this is.

You should be able to just catch the edge of the race with a punch, you could also try just using two screwdrivers to try and pry it up and work it out, I dont remember mine being that tight.
    And get your self some mineral oil and a crockpot for assembly
    P.S. did you get your Kluber lube? A syringe comes in real handy

JTCUSTOMS
    "It is only when they go wrong that machines remind you how powerful they are."
    Clive James

i have some very high quality large bearings for sale on ebay for those who want to upgrade their mills, or build a mill head from scratch:

**NEW PRICE ** Timken/MPB SUPER PRECISION BALL BEARING, 3"Bore ABEC-5T | eBay

I am not sure if it fits the Sx3 or not, what is the diameter you need?

Hello JT,

Thanks for the response. I was able to 'drift' it out. I am kinda shy about using hard punches n such, so I was using an AL bar and a deadblow hammer.

There really wasn't a clean way to access the bearing race with the oil seal still in place, so I used the oil seal to drive the race out. This worked up to a point where the very small difference in ID vs OD caused the seal to work into/through the race. I had enough room by then to use the drift directly on the bearing and push it on out. There are some gouge marks on the 'oil seal', but I don't' think this is any concern, I will clean them up a bit and just press it back into the quill.

Yes, I did get the Kulber grease. Sounds like wonder lube stuff. Really looking forward to getting this back together.

Hopefully the new motor will fix my problems. I still am enough of a noob to not understand how the timing is affected in the motor. If this was a timing issue and not a bearing issue I hope this is not the controller that is having a bad day. Since I don't have anyway to test the motor I will have to wait and see how the new one behaves.

Bearing sources

I'm looking for a source for the 32907X. I put an order in with EB Atmus and he came back saying he wasn't expecting delivery until May '12. Now I have an order with KSCDirect and they haven't shipped either.

As a side note, how can I tell if I'm getting a better quality bearing than the one currently installed in the spindle? I noticed a number of wholesalers were listing this as a china bearing. I would like to make sure I'm 'improving' this.

I'm in the SF bay area, so if anyone knows a local distributor who might have this on their shelf that would be appreciated.

I realize this is an old thread but it comes up in a Google search.

I was replacing the tapered roller bearing in the spindle due to a grinding noise. The top bearing sounded fine so I left it alone until some PBblaster penetrating oil dribbled down from the other end. The entire bearing and cup just slipped out of the spindle on its own. it seemed fairly well seated before that.

So before you start hitting it with a drift pin, give it a squirt of PBblaster.

I am having trouble locating a 32907 bearing in Houston and that number on its own doesn't generate any results on a Google search.

Neil