585,761 active members*
4,163 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > Learning to use a mill, lathe, and CNC programming

Learning to use a mill, lathe, and CNC programming

I'm interested in learning these skills to compliment my engineering degree. I finished my degree last May, but am still having trouble finding an engineering job. There are many job postings that say knowledge of CNC and machining is a plus, and I've become interested in wanting to build some designs I've been working on the last couple of years.

That said, what's the best way to go about it? I've searched through some posts here and many said to just get a job at a machine shop doing whatever you can to get your foot in the door. That's not really an option for me right now, as I'm working for the local school district doing computer support and can't afford to take the pay cut.

Would the next best option be to find a trade school to attend? I live in the southeast side of Houston, so if anyone has a good suggestion, I'd be happy to hear it. I'm pretty good at learning things on my own, so I don't want to count out the idea of getting some books and just getting down to business. With the cost of tuition, it may not be such a bad investment to purchase some (relatively) cheap machines to play around and learn on. Are there any books that are considered the gold standard for learning machining?

Thank you very much for any advice!

I'm in your neck of the woods but unfortunately don't know of any good programs in the area. I'm self taught, since I too wasn't about to quit my day job to work at a shop. This forum teaches you a lot...

Seems like all the good paying jobs are guys who do CAD with FEA analysis. Knowledge of machining is good, but probably not really necessary (which is sad).

I noticed today there is a text book I use listed on ebay, I believe it is $10.00.
    It goes into machining as pertaining to CNC.
    Very good book.
    Computer Numerical Control Programming by M. Sava & J. Pusztai.
    You could also get a handle on CNC simulated programming with the freebee
    http://www.cncsimulator.com/
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

AJ

try cnci.com they have a lot of lit on the subject,
    also Mike Lynch wrote several books.

Thanks for the links, they've been very informative. As far as entry level CNC mills go, do you have any suggestions? Production amounts would be very small (prototyping). I think a 10"x10" work envelope would cover just about everything I intend to work on. It would need to be able to cut steel, but speed would not be very important.

Also, does that book by Michael Sava assume you are familiar with manual machining, or does it introduce you to that as well?

*edit* I forgot to mention that I would like to stay under $3000 if possible.

I went to tech school once upon a time, and where I don't think you would nessessary have to go through the whole program, to get you foot in a door somewhere, or a better understanding of the machining side, I would think you could pick up a couple of courses that would give you the basics and give you something to build on. intro to milling, lathe, cnc's would be a thought. I've dealt with people that know all the books smarts of the field but untill you get hands on, is where it starts making more sense. Don't get me wrong books are great, but getting your hands dirty works best for me..

kling

Quote Originally Posted by SW-14 View Post
    Also, does that book by Michael Sava assume you are familiar with manual machining, or does it introduce you to that as well?
    Mainly with the programming aspect and the mathematics that apply to machining as used in CNC.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

You are welcome to visit the Houston Metal Shop Club. Club meets 2nd Saturday of each month. We have classes after the meeting on various machining topics. Check the website for meeting times and location. http://homemetalshopclub.org/