585,917 active members*
3,623 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Indexable boring bar in boring head?

Indexable boring bar in boring head?

This may be a silly question, but I'm curious if there is a reason NOT to use an indexable BB in a boring head on a mill. As I look through a couple of catalogs, I don't see an indexable BB referenced as some kind of optional cutter for boring heads - only as a lathe application.

My boring head takes 3/4" shank cutters, and the cutters that came w/ the "set" are difficult to freshen up w/ hand grinding as there isn't much material to remove before you're well into the brazing and shank body.

I thought this might be a more expedient way to keep a fresh cutter on the boring head. Am I breaking new ground, missing something obvious, or dangerously close to a catastrophy?

Thanks.

I do not see how it can be a problem; having the work stationary and the boring bar moving in a circle is no different at the cutting edge to the way a lathe works.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Well that's pretty much what I was thinking too, but I'm aghast at how much I've learned from this site so far, so I didn't want to discount the prospect that I was missing something.

Thanks for the reply!

I use the 5/8 shank sandviks in the small ccmt series. I have also used solid carbide indexable cutters as well.,
    Ive used them long and short. I prefer them to be 3" or less in lenght, mainly because the boring head doesnt hold that much of the boring bar.
    one thing that is nice about them is you can cut almost any material with them by just changing and insert.
    not to mention you can use different rad. inserts to get a better finish.

also make sure your just a tad below centerline with the boring bar(unlike the lathe), indexables generally don't have as much clearance and the flat( as you are probaly aware by running them on a lathe) doesnt always line up perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Delw View Post
    I use the 5/8 shank sandviks in the small ccmt series. I have also used solid carbide indexable cutters as well.,
    Ive used them long and short. I prefer them to be 3" or less in lenght, mainly because the boring head doesnt hold that much of the boring bar.
    one thing that is nice about them is you can cut almost any material with them by just changing and insert.
    not to mention you can use different rad. inserts to get a better finish.

also make sure your just a tad below centerline with the boring bar(unlike the lathe), indexables generally don't have as much clearance and the flat( as you are probaly aware by running them on a lathe) doesnt always line up perfectly.
    I'm sorry, but I'm not familiar w/ what you mentioned - sandviks / small ccmt series.

Would you elaborate or perhaps provide a link? The swapping of inserts is attractive to me too.

Thanks!:cheers:

http://www.sandvik.com/sandvik/0110/...3FOpenDocument

it's fairly standard practice to use insert boring bars with boring heads
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

heres a kenmetal ccmt boring bar.

Hey Dertsap, Thanks for that link also. I like that series I need to check it out.

Awesome.

Thanks guys!

At the risk of looking like I'm trying to separate the flyspecks from the pepper, is there a reason you favor the CCMT over a 55 degree diamond or even a triangular-shaped insert?

I imagine it may have to do w/ pressure applied.

I just want to be sure I get the right rig; I intend to bore motorcycle jugs w/ this as a primary use.