585,752 active members*
3,956 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Were do I start?

Were do I start?

I have no experience with Mastercam. New boss would like me to learn it. Were do I start?

What version do you have?

Mike Mattera
    Tips For Manufacturing Training CD's, DVD's for Mastercam, SolidWorks, Inventor, G-Code Training & More
    http://www.tipsforcadcam.com

X version/ better have Docutation folder contain PDF file will help you getting start.
    The best way to learn is trial error.

Quote Originally Posted by mkoehn View Post
    I have no experience with Mastercam. New boss would like me to learn it. Were do I start?
    Call your local rep and schedule training, or buy the book Mastercam Mill and solids by Lin & Shay and do the exercises, it about the best book out their.

Version 9

Version 9
    That version is a little outdated but you can find books and DVD's on the internet at reasonable prices.

I suggest Tips for Manufacturing.

Tips For Manufacturing Multimedia Training Tools For Mastercam and Anilam
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Same question!

Did a search on the forum and found this thread. My problem is just the same, so i hope it'¨s ok that i use this thread as well. If not, i will make a new thread for my own.

I am a student studying at 6th semester at a university in Denmark, Europe. I am studying for a master in energy technology, with a specialization in thermal energy and process engineering. For my master thesis, i want to look into aerodynamics of objects. Here is where the fun starts.. I want to make the parts myself, as the machinists are quite busy at times. I also want to make some moulds myself for a car-project i want to do in the future (design of a race car). However, i have ZERO experience, however, i have both Mach 3, Mastercam X3 and Solid Works 2008 and 2010 (currently using 2008) at my disposal.

Enough with the preliminaries.

I am thinking about buying a CNC machine that i can practice on. It will be a medium sized router that can carve out front panels for speakers. My plan is to do some simple routing in MDF, and as my confidence grows, maybe take on some more advanced 4/5 axis machines that i can use for my car-project.

I already have people wanting to use me and my CNC if i decide to buy one, so i am planning to use my savings on a machine, and then work with it until it has "paid for itself".

Can you suggest some litterature to get me all confident with Mastercam? - i am looking at woodworking only at first, and then maybe proceed to use the machine to mill in aluminum/aluminium.

Also, in order to keep my questions in one thread, i am going a bit off-topic as i request general information on using a CNC - how to set it up properly (feed rates etc..) and also what end mills to buy (material as well as the type/size of the endmill) and perhaps explain when to use a specific end mill for a given job.

So, in short, i just need help to get me confident about using a CNC when i have zero experience with machining at all, and also how to use the endmills and making the gcode/toolpaths in Mastercam X3.

Best regards, Anima

Quote Originally Posted by Anima View Post
    Did a search on the forum and found this thread. My problem is just the same, so i hope it'¨s ok that i use this thread as well. If not, i will make a new thread for my own.

I am a student studying at 6th semester at a university in Denmark, Europe. I am studying for a master in energy technology, with a specialization in thermal energy and process engineering. For my master thesis, i want to look into aerodynamics of objects. Here is where the fun starts.. I want to make the parts myself, as the machinists are quite busy at times. I also want to make some moulds myself for a car-project i want to do in the future (design of a race car). However, i have ZERO experience, however, i have both Mach 3, Mastercam X3 and Solid Works 2008 and 2010 (currently using 2008) at my disposal.

Enough with the preliminaries.

I am thinking about buying a CNC machine that i can practice on. It will be a medium sized router that can carve out front panels for speakers. My plan is to do some simple routing in MDF, and as my confidence grows, maybe take on some more advanced 4/5 axis machines that i can use for my car-project.

I already have people wanting to use me and my CNC if i decide to buy one, so i am planning to use my savings on a machine, and then work with it until it has "paid for itself".

Can you suggest some litterature to get me all confident with Mastercam? - i am looking at woodworking only at first, and then maybe proceed to use the machine to mill in aluminum/aluminium.

Also, in order to keep my questions in one thread, i am going a bit off-topic as i request general information on using a CNC - how to set it up properly (feed rates etc..) and also what end mills to buy (material as well as the type/size of the endmill) and perhaps explain when to use a specific end mill for a given job.

So, in short, i just need help to get me confident about using a CNC when i have zero experience with machining at all, and also how to use the endmills and making the gcode/toolpaths in Mastercam X3.

Best regards, Anima
    Not to shoot you down, but that is a lot to learn in a very short period of time. Focus on your simulations, since you are a student you should have plenty of software at school. Try to find a local person that wants to help you out and machine the parts for you from your SW files. You might be able to swap some of your expertise with a local mold shop by some thermo training for mold designers or something to that effect

Quote Originally Posted by foxsquirrel View Post
    Not to shoot you down, but that is a lot to learn in a very short period of time. Focus on your simulations, since you are a student you should have plenty of software at school. Try to find a local person that wants to help you out and machine the parts for you from your SW files. You might be able to swap some of your expertise with a local mold shop by some thermo training for mold designers or something to that effect
    Thanks for the answer!

My master thesis is due in 2 years - that should be enough time to at least begin.

I was planning to do a lot of studying on mastercam this summer to know how to use it. I use Solid Works on a regular basis, so if i can learn how to use mastercam, i should be on my way to use a CNC.

Quote Originally Posted by Anima View Post
    Thanks for the answer!

My master thesis is due in 2 years - that should be enough time to at least begin.

I was planning to do a lot of studying on mastercam this summer to know how to use it. I use Solid Works on a regular basis, so if i can learn how to use mastercam, i should be on my way to use a CNC.
    I did not realize you just started on your masters. I would buy some of the foam board and play with that until you are comfortable with the machine then use the rigid material when everything is reliable. Carbide tooling is very expensive and hard on the spindle when you crash. I run SW 2010 and X3 here so if you need some help feel free to pm or call my office.

Version 9
    V9? Man, I'd get my boss to step up to an X version, if that's possible. V9 is old as the dinosaurs, and honestly IHMO a lot harder to learn than the X versions (I tried, halfheartedly though...). Mastercam X is almost perfect, I think. Really well laid out interface.

I can't help you out on V9, but if you do get X, there's a really good book to learn it, called "Learning Mastercam X Mill 2D Step by Step", by James Valentino and Joseph Goldenberg. It also has a CD-ROM with it w/ accompanying exercises. And, you can get if off Ebay for about $50.

Best of wishes either way!