585,555 active members*
3,044 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > DC motor control for 180v dc motor, will this work ?

DC motor control for 180v dc motor, will this work ?

Hi guys. My new Weiss wmd20 mill came the other day, and I blew the speed control board almost right away. The s6025L SCRs exploded. I replaced them, but there's no DC output to the motor. Maybe the d6025L rectifiers are broken, but I don't know enough about electronics and I can't buy those in England.

While I await a replacement speed controller board, I was pondering how I might get the machine going, or even how I might do it if this ever happens again.

I think (will check) that the motor wants 180v. Supply power here is 240v. So, would the following do the job for running my mill's motor? :

Dimmer switch / triac, into a transformer with a ~125v secondary winding, into a bridge rectifier. In theory I'd get 180v DC with the dimmer switch all the way up, right ?

Is that a good or bad idea ? I know very little about electronics. Would there be an issue in that low-speed would be missing torque that would come from a proper speed control circuit ? Or might I find that the motor overspeeds anyway ?

cheers,
    Carl

The SCR drives made by KB or Baldor are 120v or 240vac for 90v or 180vdc motor, I am not sure if they are available in the UK but someone may make an equivalent, they are fairly cheap on ebay.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    The SCR drives made by KB or Baldor are 120v or 240vac for 90v or 180vdc motor, I am not sure if they are available in the UK but someone may make an equivalent, they are fairly cheap on ebay.
    Al.
    Thanks. I don't see anything like that on eBay UK though. I suppose I could buy one from the US for next time..