585,578 active members*
3,872 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Old LeBlond lathe

We recently got an old lathe at work, and with no one to show me how to use it, I jumped in and started piddling with it on my own. I've already figured out how to cut a taper, an inside step and just general turning and parting. Having always had a keen interest in machine work, I've now got a bad bug to have a lathe of my own and started looking around. I've found an old LeBlond lathe, 18 X 20 or so best I can tell. It's in good running shape and they want $2500 for it. Is this machine worth it? It comes with an extra chuck, lots of cutting tools and a few measuring tools, and an indexing table for a milling machine. There may be other parts also. It's three-phase powered, but I can remedy that. Is it worth this much for this machine for a newbie like me? I believe I can learn to work wonders with such a machine, but there may be others out there that cost less with more capabilities. Any thoughts from those who are a lot more experienced at this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

LeBlond made nice machines, is this a manual machine?
    Ironically the CNC's version would be worth a lot less with the old GE control on it.
    If there is a great deal of accessories it would be worth approaching what they are asking, if you could get it for $2k. it would be a nice buy.
    Check the ways for wear or scoring.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Hey Al, thanks for the reply. This old lathe was cared for, having been in a one-man machine shop for many years. The ways look very smooth with no rust. This thing is absolutely massive. The same old machinist who owned it once told me if I ever bought a lathe, buy the biggest thing I could afford because it would be stiffer and would turn out better work, even if it was an old used machine. That's kinda where I've stood on the subject all these years. I don't know how much he used this machine, as he had another one that he did most all his work on. This one was probably his main machine at one time till he got the bigger one. If by "manual" machine you mean is it CNC or not, then no, it isn't. I can't get at the back well enough to find a tag on the machine, nor could I find one on the front that tells exactly what the model is, but it is old, at least it looks old to me. It has an Allen-Bradley drum switch for reversing motor direction, and that's about the extent of any electrical controls that I could find. The main belt and pulley cover is missing, and that may be where a tag was at. I've found a pic of a machine very much like this one that I'll send if you would like. At any rate, if you're not outright discouraging me, I'm going to look deeper into this machine. Of course, more opinions from those who are more experienced would also be welcome. My main concern is I don't want to overpay, not knowing the true value of such a machine. Any more insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I know by experience visiting auctions the manual lathes often go for more money that the later CNC versions, more money to sink into them I suppose, some of the Man types even had the war time (WWII) stamp on them.
    Like I said, you probably can't go wrong with a LeBlond.
    Some machinist may chime in.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

There's a lot more to checking the condition of a lathe that just the amount of rust on the ways. http://www.mermac.com/advicenew.html

I have a 13x18 Leblond Regal from 1943. Check on the ways at the tailstock end for the serial number. It should be stamped on the operator side between the v and flat way surface. Once you find the number contact http://www.leblondusa.com/ and they can give you the year and other details of that lathe.

If you need any parts they sell hold on to your wallet, it's cheaper to have them made. They quoted me a price of $1,200 for the taper attachment shoe, $160 for the cross slide nut, and $576 for the cross slide screw. I repaired all of it for the price of the gasses and brazing rods (about $10).

Also, check out the Leblond Lathe group http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Leblon...yguid=83439648
    The files section has books.

Good Luck,
    Fatboy

Hey Fatboy, I appreciate the reply. Lots of good information there, and I intend to check it all out. Somebody told me a LeBlond was kinda the Cadillac of lathes, and as such, I figured the parts would be expensive if any were needed, just as you said. But I also figure I can make or have made about anything I may need rather than pay ridiculous prices. But thanks again for the links and I'll definitely look up the number and get a hold of LeBlond for all the particulars about this machine. I'll post what I find. Thanks again!

I've found a pic on ebay that accurately represents the lathe I'm considering buying, though I think the picture is of a slightly longer machine. Everything else about it looks to be identical with the exception of the motor control. My prospective machine has a forward/reverse drum switch mounted on top of the headstock, while the pictured machine has a motor control on the bottom left, down near the gear change lever. I hope the pic comes out. Any and all comments welcome.