584,340 active members*
6,927 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

SprutCAM 4th Axis

This may be a SprutCAm question, but I wanted to ask current SC/Tormach owners first.

I have a figurine to machine and setting up files so when I actually get my machine it may be one of the first pieces machined (I know, simple blocks will be first).

My problem is I am not finding the info I need to rotate the 4th axis during roughing. I will either have a cylinder or block (thinking cylinder is easier) for material. I rough down the top part and then I simply want the 4th axis to rotate 180DEG and machine down the backside.

During the final passes, I believe I have that setup where it will turn around as it goes around the part. Just setting up the movement during roughing is the problem.

Is there a setting for the Tormach machine that I am missing?

Actually may have just figured out my problem. I added an auxiliary operation and changed the A axis to 180 degrees.. That seemed to work.

If both sides are the same you can use the copy setup under transformations.

So many times I have gone through the trouble to model something complex (for me) and then once in sprutcam I figure out I just wasted a bunch of time because I could have just used this feature.

Quote Originally Posted by compunerdy View Post
    If both sides are the same you can use the copy setup under transformations.

So many times I have gone through the trouble to model something complex (for me) and then once in sprutcam I figure out I just wasted a bunch of time because I could have just used this feature.
    No both sides are not the same. Would actually be nice it I could set it up to rough it around the whole part, but rotating 180 would work as well.

I may be wrong but as far as I know only pocketing and engraving setups will rotate the part as needed.

Quote Originally Posted by compunerdy View Post
    I may be wrong but as far as I know only pocketing and engraving setups will rotate the part as needed.
    If I select Finishing- Rotary, I think that moves the part around the 4th axis as it mills, or at least that is what I have been using it for. But there is no similar option under roughing.

... So why not use that, then? Finishing, roughing, who cares? Just tell it to leave some material for a real finishing pass, and use Finishing-Rotary to rough, then do it again as a real finishing pass. Depth of cut is settable, so you should get what you want if you mess with it.

Regards,

- Just Gary

Quote Originally Posted by justgary View Post
    ... So why not use that, then? Finishing, roughing, who cares? Just tell it to leave some material for a real finishing pass, and use Finishing-Rotary to rough, then do it again as a real finishing pass. Depth of cut is settable, so you should get what you want if you mess with it.

Regards,

- Just Gary
    Nothing I suppose. Probably a good way to learn a little more on it as well.

hi i am new to forums and my new pcnc mill i received a message to post and say hi but could not see how to make an original post so will try a reply at some point would like to mill very coarse threads using rotary table to duplicate remington 788 bolt can this be done

Quote Originally Posted by elc View Post
    hi i am new to forums and my new pcnc mill i received a message to post and say hi but could not see how to make an original post so will try a reply at some point would like to mill very coarse threads using rotary table to duplicate remington 788 bolt can this be done
    Well, I am a firearms instructor, not a gunsmith but I don't see why you couldn't make one. I am more familiar with the 780 myself.