585,954 active members*
4,680 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Shopmaster/Shoptask > Eldorado Bridgemill Spindle Bearings

Eldorado Bridgemill Spindle Bearings

Has anyone figured out a good replacement for Eldorado Bridgemill Spindle Bearings? One that could handle 6000 Rpms?
    I finally toasted mine at 4500 rpms. Running my 2.5hp treadmill dc motor. These open cage Wheel bearings are a pain. Since there's no real good way to keep the grease in them.( as it warms up the grease slowly makes it way out) Anybody try using sealed bearings? I can't see what the difference may be.

Thoughts
    http://www.rainman229.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rainman229 View Post
    Has anyone figured out a good replacement for Eldorado Bridgemill Spindle Bearings? One that could handle 6000 Rpms?
    I finally toasted mine at 4500 rpms. Running my 2.5hp treadmill dc motor. These open cage Wheel bearings are a pain. Since there's no real good way to keep the grease in them.( as it warms up the grease slowly makes it way out) Anybody try using sealed bearings? I can't see what the difference may be.

Thoughts
    I looked into that years ago with my first 17-20 machine. I called around some bearing places and found that there are high precision tapered roller bearings- about 100.00 each that will handle the rpm, and also some special grease that will not melt out. There are also sealed roller bearings with angular contact races to handle the end loads- also expensive. However, you must eliminate the stock pulley, as it is heavy cast iron and not intended for that type of speed. My plan was to turn the cast iron pulley down to its minimum size to retain the center splines and then shrink fit an aluminum pulley over it.
    After adding up all the time and costs involved, I ended up building a bracket to hold a high speed router motor to my quill for the engraving work.

I just put a set of stock bearing back into it to get it running again. (Picked them up locally)
    I Found a set of angular contact bearings on line That are the correct size. And rather cheap in price compared to the stock ones. There not high end bearing but say they will hold up to 10,000 rpm. I Will be ordering a set when i free some cash up. I'll let you guys Know how it went.

Smallblock
    I already shaved 8 or so lbs off my main pulley. Need to make a set of aluminum motor pulleys still. The 8lbs off the main spindle pulley makes a big difference. I only left the top to belt grooves on it.
    http://www.rainman229.com