585,991 active members*
4,550 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Motor Couplings - Metric to Standard

I'm converting an old Grizzly vertical mill to CNC as a first project, and have run across what is (hopefully) my last setback: I cannot find motor shaft couplings, and I can't quite seem to fabricate them on my own.

I'm trying to find a company that either sells or will fabricate two (x2) of the following straight set-screw couplings: 10mm to 1/4, at least an inch-and-a-half long, out of 5/8 Aluminum. And one (x1) 8mm to 1/4 of the same external diameter.

I've tried near matches, but I'm still not having any luck.

8mm 0.3150 >> 5/16 0.3125
    10mm 0.3937 >> 25/64 0.3906

Can anyone help me find or fabricate these?!!!?
    Please!

Look for Lovejoy or similar. You should be able to mix and match to get what you want.

Hello,
    You can fabricate the couplings with some flat aluminum and delrin or other fairly strong wearing plastic. I designed my stepper couplings to use .25" thick aluminum stock and black delrin .25" thick. It is fairly straight forward 2D machining the parts as disks at the desired diameter with say the mounting hole size in the center and 2 press fit holes for a .25" dia. or .187" dia. dowels.
    There are 2 disks that mount 180º to each other on the ends with the dowels protruding just a bit less than the delrin thickness towards each other and the delrin disk in the middle will have 4 slots(90º from each other and at least 1.5 times the diameter in length) for those dowel pins to ride in. These slots provide much the same fit adjustment as an Oldham style coupler and then there are a couple of smaller diameter disks to attache to the outer disks with rivets or screws to use for the mounting boss of the coupler with a set screw that locks onto the motor shaft at each end. If you have any interest in fabricating a similar coupler I can provide some pictures to show better what I tried to describe with words, so let me know.
    Regards,
    Regards,
    Wes