585,744 active members*
4,021 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hi - totally lost

Hi - I have been researching CNC foam cutting machines for a few weeks now and have got myself totally lost !! I want to build a 4 axis machine to cut R/C aircraft wings. I would like to build something that offers enough precision to be able to cut wing spar tubes in the middle of the wing profile. I have bought the MDf timber plans to build a simple 4 axis machine but I am now not happy with the drawer sliders and would like to try and either design up a solution for myself or buy a kit / plans. Any help appreciated.

Hi Ilium007,
    I am building a machine for cutting R/C wings. I am using the drawer slides and the Dray Construction plans. I have a build thread here

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...313#post767313

I was not certain about the drawer slide design but having built the mechanical parts of it, it feels very smooth and stable. I have not cut anything yet so we will see.

I am using very high load carrying, low play drawer slides I sourced from my old work. They are used for the drawer slides in refrigerators. I had a look at the standard stuff you can find in Bunnings and I felt they were unsuitable.

Have a look and see what you think.

Jason

Australian Suppliers

Hi - thanks for the reply ! I had read your post prior - I figured you were an aussie (Triton gave it away, I have one too !)

I also thought that the Bunnings drawer sliders would be a bit 'budget' I am now looking at building something like this:

http://translate.google.com/translat...a/tbnico.phtml

The next thing will be looking for suppliers of linear bearing etc. There is some stuff on eBay but it look overpriced and chinese.