585,705 active members*
4,416 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Dyna Myte 2800 RS232 communications

Dyna Myte 2800 RS232 communications

Bought a DM2800, original control. It initializes, takes program via keypad input, runs great. No intentions of replacing the control (yet).
    Next step: download program from PC, then "drip feed" lengthy CAD/CAM generated code. I've read all related posts, but haven't seen this one resolved. Trying to avoid pricey DNC software but will consider recommendations. When it's working I will follow up with specifications including any custom code, and some CNC programs (I have an NAS-979 circle-diamond-square program ready for prove-out).
    TIA, Steve

Dyna DNC works

I hooked up the Dyna to the serial port, running thru a 25 pin breakout box emulating a null modem cable. Crossed 2 & 3, 4 & 5, and ran everything else straight thru. Using hyperterminal I was able to transfer a program. 8 bits, 1 stop bit, even parity, 1200 baud.
    I downloaded 4 DNC trial versions, so far tried Multi-DNC.
    Using the send file function, the software would transfer a file 900 lines.
    Using the same function I also transfered a larger file in the traditional 900 lines at-a-time. On the Dyna select Program Execute. The Dyna takes 900, runs it, then takes the next 900. Handshaking from the Dyna kept the Multi-DNC waiting until 900 was complete. I had to change the program output a little based on what the Dyna does once it's loaded. It replaces the first 2 lines with:
    000 START INS 01
    001 SETUP >zcxyu

so I change my output to the same. At first I was losing an axis move on the second line until I figured out what was going on.
    It also drops duplicate moxes and does NOT erase the block numbers from memory. It retains the block from the earlier program, which caused my cutter to move X across the part when I was expecting Z on line 652. This is a little scary. Guess I'll be cutting wood first time thru every time.

There are several things that are quirky with trying to drip feed an old Dyna controller. Depending on the firmware version you'll see different results as well. As I recall I saw funky issues with arcs if they were after certain other type of moves. I wrote a dedicated drip feed program for it and then finally gave up and converted to Mach.
    Jeff Birt

Dyna Mechtronics DNC update

I downloaded NCLink (free) from OneCNC.net and ran the software on a pc hooked up to my DM2800 thru a serial port and null modem adapter. Pin outs:
    1 - 1
    2 - 3
    3 - 2
    4 - 5
    5 - 4

Start NCLink, open the .nc file (do not send yet).
    Send Settings:
    2400 Baud
    8 Bit
    Even Parity
    1 Stop Bit
    RTS/CTS Handshake on
    Remove spaces UNCHECKED
    Line delay 5 ms

Dyna Line Mode, Read/Write, Download, Program Execute. Display's Ready.
    Go to NCLink and Send File. File transfers until line 900, machine runs, downloads the next 900. Works Great!

I too have a DM2800 that I've been trying to get working.

Couple of questions:

on trying to upload from the machine to my computer I get "Echo Not Rec", any ideas? I'm just reading it using hyperterminal with the settings you've posted, I get a single character at 1200 baud: "ñ"

My other question, is on the control panel I've got a switch, "Local Program", doesn't seem to matter whether I've got it to the right or to the left as either way doesn't work, but does anyone know what it's actually doing?

Thanks for your help!!

Waterppk,
    I have not tried uploading a program (from machine to PC). I will try this next time I'm out there to see what settings work. I have not found the need for this, and since most every program I've run exceeds 900 lines it's imperative to have a robust DNC software to handle the downloads with proper handshaking.
    I had problems with hyperterminal downloading 900+ line programs because of a timeout issue which can not be adjusted by the user. I used an evaluation copy of Multi-DNC for awhile before settling on NCLink. Multi-DNC is very comprehensive, and it's 30 day evaluation period only counts down while you are running the program, so if you close it and reopen it another day you've only used a few minutes which is great. However NCLink does everything I need (one machine, no expiration, it's free) and performs the handshaking needed when the control reaches Line 900 and the DNC waits to download the next "block" of 900 while the machine runs.

The Local / Program switch controls the spindle. If you want to turn the spindle on manually, switch it to Local. On Program, the spindle is turned on/off via the SPINDL/ON SPINDL/OFF commands in the program. In program mode you still need to adjust the speed using the drive belt and speed pot. on the control panel.

I'm still trying to figure out what "Line Execute" means. I'm using "program execute" to run the programs from the DNC.

I was trying to upload from the machine to the PC to find out whether my cables were set up correctly, I've got it wired according to the original schematic for DB-9 (PC) to DB-25 (machine) but like I said I can't seem to get anything working.

What vintage PC are you using?, the wiring you posted is for DB-25 (PC) to DB-25 (machine) [crossed tx/rx 2/3 gives it away]. I'm trying to use a USB->Serial adapter at the moment, I'm going to bring in a PC with a DB-9 serial port off the motherboard and give that a try with the NCLink software and WinXP (doesn't run on Win7). Any thoughts?

I'm using a laptop IBM Thinkpad with a docking station.
    I also explored the USB-Serial route and after some research found out they don't work fast enough to respond to the on/off signals generated during handshaking. They are handy for some devices like synchronizing the calendar on my palm pilot, but not robust enough for DNC. Some claim to be but why bother. I found I could buy a new docking station for my laptop with serial port for less than one of the USB devices, and it works flawlessly.
    I'm also in the market for a (free) PC to use strictly for a DNC server that I can leave next to the machine and not worry about destroying my laptop (which I also use for teaching).
    I think you could get by with just about any old PC running windows. The cheaper the better. DNC doesn't require a lot of processing power. I carry my programs out to the PC on a USB (thumb) drive and load it directly from there.
    If your having trouble finding one try Tiger Direct, they have lots of "refurbished" PC's at great prices.

Last question

Can you post a simple ~10 line program that you know works, I've read in the manual that it wants to see 16 characters per line, have you had to fill out each line with spaces or are you just sending over code and it's been working?

Sorry to be buggy but I've been working with this machine on and off for a few months and would like to just get it functioning, so I'm trying to eliminate any potential screw ups on my end :-) I've got an old school computer that I'll be running this all on now, so I should have eliminated any serial communication issues.

Thanks again for your help!

Dyna 10 line program

Waterppk,
    It NEEDS the spaces. You will note this in my parameter settings for NCLink.
    Here is a program I recently ran; I've taken the middle out of this program and renumbered the end. It needs sequential numbers right to the end of the program. More on that later. When you run, it will stop at SETUP and waits for your input (jog, set ref, next, I think). If you get that far and don't know how to proceed I can guide you. I'm not in front of the machine but will review that for next time. BTW Z0 is the TOP of the part, on the Dyna you need a clear path to the origin when starting the program each time. It will move there on its own. Good luck!

000 START INS 01
    001 SETUP >zcxyu
    002 Z>ZMAX
    003 SPINDLE ON
    004 GOfX 0.4628
    005 GOfY 0.8583
    006 GOfZ 0.1000
    007 FR XYZ =20.0
    008 GO Z- 0.0600
    009 GO X 0.4938
    010 Y 0.8622
    011 GO Z 0.1000
    012 SPINDLE OFF
    013 Z>ZMAX
    014 END NEWPART

Update on DB9 - DB25 adapter

Helping someone trying to follo my instructions in this thread. I neglected to mention I have a DB9F to DB25M cable running from the PC to Breakout box where I have the pinouts listed:

DB9F - DB25M
    1 - 8
    2 - 3
    3 - 2
    4 - 20
    5 - 7
    6 - 6
    7 - 4
    8 - 5
    9 - 22

Just to clarify, this is the cable running from my PC to the breakout box. When I make a cable I'll list the composite connections.