585,729 active members*
4,862 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Plasma, EDM / Waterjet Machines > PlasmaCam > Torch Location Problems- Unable to control Gantry position Error.

Torch Location Problems- Unable to control Gantry position Error.

My Dad and I have been having some problems with our DHC2. We bought this machine used and since we've put it together we have had several problems with the torch location. After many hours of troubleshooting we can get the machine working for maybe two runs but after that we consistently get the error that the machine cannot control the gantry position.

We have utilized the diagnostic tool in the software to test the encoders and we found that IF the torch's origin settings are outside of the min/max range that the encoder will simply flicker
    0/-.01. As opposed to showing/detecting the encoder counts.

Like I said earlier, if we start the machine cold, meaning all memory and everything else is cleared, the machine will make two/maybe three movements before losing track of its positioning.

These are our theories:

1) The y axis encoder needs replacement.
    2) There is another setting that affects how the machine determines the torch's location, outside of the torch location origin settings.
    3) I read seomthing about a KERF adjustment, and deteremining the variance based on a straight line cut and entering that calculation into the offset. Is that just for cutting accuracy or will that throw the location detection too?
    3.5) If that is the case, how do we determine that if the dang machine can't control the positioning for longer that two movements? from what I understand in chapter 5 of the manual, you have to be able to cut.
    4) Our fourth theroy is that our computer is messed up somehow?? We have also consistently received the EMI interference errors. I actually went out and bought a gold plated and shielded parallel cable to reduce interference. We're currently operating out of port 278 but it still reads low voltage port, We even bought another PCI parallel port but to no avail.

We are properly grounded to an external grounding rod.
    We have thoughly reviewed all of the assembly procedures and made sure this machine was assembled exactly as illustrated in the manual.
    We are using a hypertherm powermax 600

We really want to get this machine working. We already have customers we just need this to work consistently. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

The encoder reading of 0-1-0-1 means you have a loose connection to the encoder. When you move the gantry way over, the strain is pulling on the connectors. Most likely right where the main harness connects to the motor harness. The sockets may be spread open a little. Use a jewelers screw driver or a pick to squeeze them down. It will not be the encoder since it works sometimes.

Your computer has a low voltage parallel port and changing cables and things won't change that.