586,011 active members*
4,152 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Shopmaster/Shoptask > IS THE PATRIOT VFD HEAD/QUILL BETTER?

IS THE PATRIOT VFD HEAD/QUILL BETTER?

I'm considering a 2010 Shoptask VFD Patriot but wondering it the milling function suffers from the same design limitations as the other 3-in-1's? More specifically, I'm referring to the significant lateral slop in the quill and backlash when doing 3-axis CNC requiring that the quill not be locked - as happens with the other 3-in-1's. Is the VFD Patriot the same basic design as the Grizzly's, HF's etc. or perhaps better implemented resulting in improved capabilities? Not that I need a HAAS but just something more capable than my old, "typical" 3-in-1. Thanks much in advance. - Gerry V

Quote Originally Posted by gerryv View Post
    I'm considering a 2010 Shoptask VFD Patriot but wondering it the milling function suffers from the same design limitations as the other 3-in-1's? More specifically, I'm referring to the significant lateral slop in the quill and backlash when doing 3-axis CNC requiring that the quill not be locked - as happens with the other 3-in-1's. Is the VFD Patriot the same basic design as the Grizzly's, HF's etc. or perhaps better implemented resulting in improved capabilities? Not that I need a HAAS but just something more capable than my old, "typical" 3-in-1. Thanks much in advance. - Gerry V
    It sounds like you already have some experience with those other 3 in 1 machines. Any mill with a moveable quill will by necessity have some error due to the clearances required for it to move in the casting. A dedicated mill with a spindle that moves on a dovetail is the other alternative. The Patriot machine uses a lead screw that acts directly on the quill, rather than those others which operate through a worm gear and rack assembly, so it is already a step up in that respect. There are some shopmaster owners who lock the quill in place and use the entire mill head movement as the Z axis, but the power required is usually much greater than the standard CNC that they sell.

Bottom line- if a 3 in 1 is your choice, then the Shopmaster is the best option. If you want higher precision and can settle for a mill only, then look at one of the Syil products or maybe the new Tormach 770 model. these have about the same milling capacity as the Shopmaster, but no lathe function and considerably more cost.

Is the Patriot VFD Head/Quill Better?

Thanks much Sharpshooter90. That's exactly the info I was looking for so very helpful. -Gerry