585,597 active members*
3,732 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Gecko Drives > G540 - Faulting at Rapids

G540 - Faulting at Rapids

I recently replaced my wiring on my g540 with DB9 cables (unshielded). I was previously using 4 conductor 22 gauge shielded security wire from Home Depot without issues. Now when cutting a 3d toolpath and the machine goes to rapid and there is a 3axis move (4 steppers moving at once (Y and A slaved)) I get a fault on the g540 and an e-stop in mach. I changed out each cable with an extra and I still had the fault, I then disconnected the Z and re-ran the file without issues, reconnected the Z and ran with the x unplugged again it ran ok.

The steppers seem to be noisier now than they were before with a distinct hum and sometimes a low pitched tone.

I am running Keling 387's and have an antlek 12 amp, 50 volt PS.

The XYA all run rack and pinion at 700ipm/100 acell, and the Z is 200ipm 100 acell.

any thought and input would be appreciated - thanks

- Rob

FIXED:

Upgraded the standard "computer" db9's I had bought with the ones from CNCrouterparts.com and the issue went away.

Why didn't you use the mating DB-9 connectors included with your G540? The provided connectors are rated at 5A per pin; many other DB-9 connectors are rated at only 1A per pin and you will have some "issues" with them.

Mariss

Mariss,

I am using your DB9's at the stepper end now (with the resistor). I was trying to set something up easier to work with than what I had before with the wires going to terminal strips from the steppers, through the security wire and then to your DB9's. The way my controller was setup, it was a PITA to switch things around. Problem solved, and I expected that I may have an issue with the $1.75, 25-ft cables that I ordered. CNCRP took care of it and I am happy. I was just trying to push too much current through those cheap computer DB9's.

Thanks - Rob