586,024 active members*
4,401 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Cincinnati CNC > Arrow 500 - Acramatic 2100 No Power to Controller

Cool Arrow 500 - Acramatic 2100 No Power to Controller

Hello everyone!

I have a Cincinnati Milacron Arrow 500E with Acramatic 2100 control. Friday, I was running a lengthy 3D contouring program and when the program was near the end, there seemed to be a power surge or something...? The control shut down and I haven't been able to power back up since.

Although I've programmed and operated CNC machines for many years, I'm fairly green when it comes to the internal workings of the machine. Since I own my own machine now, I'd like to at least attempt to troubleshoot it myself and do some non-destructive learning, instead of being at the complete mercy of a $100 an hour technician. If it comes to that, so be it, but I'd like to see what I can find out (without destroying anything, of course) before I make the call.

I've read through many posts and checked voltages at various locations, as well as continuity at the green "ON" button on the control. Everything that I've checked seems to be good. All of the axis drives and the S/D box start up when I put power to the machine, but the PSU1 box doesn't seem to be getting power. I'm assuming this is what maintains power to the controller...? I had a similar problem a few months ago and was able to replace a 10 amp fuse. Easy fix. I've checked the all of the obvious fuses again this time, to no avail.

Does anyone have any suggestions? (In simple terms, for the layman...lol.)

Thank you in advance!

- Tom

Hmm where do we start,is the screen on machine powered up,if not the first thing I would look at is the power supply which is by far one of the most common problems with the acramatic control.When the green control button is pushed when starting the machine the little fan on the computors power supply should start, indicating the supply should have power.If not you can buy these at most computor supply shops and make sure you always buy a higher wattage as the standard power supplies are only small wattage but have much heavier duty
    transistors/capasitors/diodes and much more.Most of the new supplies are Atx but reconfiguring these shouldnt be a problem with the correct plugs and wiring diagram.Best regards Greg.

Problem Resolved - Power Supply

Thank you, Greg. The 24 V power supply was indeed the culprit. I'm not sure, but I believe that I had a power surge in the shop. The computer that I use to drip feed to the VMC power supply was also fried. I replaced them both and am up and running again.