585,885 active members*
6,026 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > importing igs file

importing igs file

i have v23 bobcad and i was given a few files that are in igs format. it opens up the file, but it doesnt seem to want to let me start the machining process such as break/divide etc... has anyone else had this same issue with the igs file? what am i doing wrong?

when i called bobcad, they said i need to purchase the support package. i just bought this software a few months ago. i passed on mastercam because it was half as much. now bobcad calls every week trying to sell me something in addition to what ive already bought.

When I import IGS files the very first thing upon opening is go to FILE / SAVE AS/ and save as the native bbcd format.

That saved me a lot of headaches and problems once I began making sure that I was working in the bbcd environment...... some file types will not perform as expected until saved as bbcd files.

Are the files you have 3d solids or 2d line drawings?

3d solids, you will have to extract edges before you can do any 2d machining operations.

When you import an IGES file into BobCAM, it make it into a solid. If you want to break it back down into 2d drawings, you need to do some disecting. You can extract edges, project onto planes, ect. If the part requires 3d maching, and your BobCAM supports that, you're good to go! Post up some screen shot of what you are trying to do, there are lots here that can help. Oh yea, BobCAM calls about every other day here too, at least they did until they found out I bought MasterCAM.