585,902 active members*
4,497 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > AHH! Did I hurt it? Please Help!
Page 1 of 2 12

AHH! Did I hurt it? Please Help!

So, here's the deal: Just got my new VF-3 w/10K spindle. I used one for 5 years at the school and never crashed it, so of course right away I crash mine. I don't remember what button I hit during set-up (Was too freaked out) but the spindle seemed to free-fall into the vice. Luckily, I had a tiny 1/8" endmill loaded and Alum. soft jaws on the vise. The tool of course broke on impact, and the tool holder landed on the jaws, making more of a 'Thump' than a dreaded steel-on-steel 'Bang'. Spindle sounds fine & everything seems to work normally, but now I notice a noise coming from the (I assume) top of the machine, like a muted little car horn, whenever the spindle rapids in Z. It'll cost me $500+ for a tech to come down, and while I'd love to just do that & be at ease, I'm just getting started & that would really hurt if it's something I can possibly check myself. Therefore, PUH-LEEZE if anyone has an educated opinion on what may have been damaged or things to check, I'd really be grateful! Tech on the phone said could be a ballscrew or the Z-motor coupling, if that's any help. If you have any thoughts, kindly take a moment to post. Many, many thanks in advance Gentlemen, Chris

toyranosaur

If your machine is new, then they should come & check it for free, it may not be any thing to do with the crash that is making the noise, was the spindle running when it crashed,were you in MDI mode when you did this, if so when you are getting to know your machine, don't put moves or tool changes in the MDI, untill you get used to the machine, use the handwheel, & toolchange buttons, less chance of you having a crash like you did
    Mactec54

The best and probably only way is to take any covers off close to the source of the noise and get up close and personal to identify where the noise maybe coming from, get someone to rapid it up and down while you check.
    Could be a thrust bearing or coupler, if you have trouble pinpointing the source, one of the cheap automotive stethoscope type detectors can be a good tool in pining it down.
    Check to see if any backlash exists now to see if there is any damage or movement occurred in the ballscrew itself.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

First off, get used to hitting that 5% or 25% rapid button during setups and first piece run; increase your reaction time. It will save your behind for years to come. LOL At least you have that out of the way now.

Back to your question. Most likely could be the thrust bearing for Z-Axis. Make a program to rapid the Z-Axis or whatever it takes to get the noise you are hearing. Get on a ladder behind the machine and listen to the noise. Does it sound like the noise is stationary of does it move with Z? If it seems stationary, does it sound like it is below the Z motor? If yes to the last question then it is probably the thrust bearing. If it moves with the Z-Axis then you will need to remove more covers to pinpoint.

Let us know what you find and good luck!

How new is this machine? Do you mean you just had it installed? Are you sure you're not hearing things? I have had three Haas machines with the same 10K/2-speed spindle that sounded completely different based on the acoustics of the environment they were in. One had a low ceiling, one a high ceiling and one was in a 80 foot tall aircraft hangar. Every one made different noises based on what sounds were being absorbed and reflected.

I don't know what the sound of a 'faint car horn' describes but, it might just be the normal Z-axis noises that you're just not used to in this new environment. Are you sure you're not hearing things or is this a pronounced noise that you're sure wasn't there when you started?
    Greg

My TM-1P started to make a similar moaning sound with rapid Z moves after about 2 years of sporadic use. I called Haas in CA and they said it was not unusual and was a bearing in the top of the spindle. They recommended I leave it alone until the machine started to have trouble repeating in Z. I had the local tech check it and he said exactly the same thing, even said mine had a mild case. This is not a recommendation but I would not panic yet. I do not have a 10 k spindle however.

Vern

I crashed the Z on mf VF-0 hard enough already to back the split locking nut off the bearings in the bearing/motor housing. I had sever backlash in the axis after this happen. It also made a thud when changing directions. I just tightened the nut up again, and all was good!

Thanks so much for the input, Gents! I ultimately wussed out & had the tech come look at it ($600, but warranty doesn't cover my error.) I always use the 5 & 25% rapid, etc. After the tech did a vibration test, bearing temp. check, & spindle tram check, he shimmed it up a bit (I had knocked it a bit under a thou off tram,) and said the noise was nothing odd: He said not to worry about it, it's normal, and he allegedly built these things for years so knows 'em pretty well. I'm always very careful and never did that in 5 years at the college, so I had to ask him what did I do? We arrived at the idea that I must have been about to jog Z in .1 with the handwheel, and accidentally hit the 'Jog Lock' button, which is 100 IPM when you have it set on '.1'. I've never used that button, so asked if it could be locked out, but he says that's not possible: Just watch it, which I will (Think I'll glue a thumb tack to that bastard.) He did lock out the 'Tool Release' botton, which I also never used and saw the logic- Touch that accidentally & the tool will just drop out, screw that: I've always used the button on the spindle. So, except for the bill, all is well there: Now I have a water-in-my-air-lines prob that needs addressed. Looks like I'll need a drier, even emptying my tank & filters every day multiple times. Anyone have any opinions on the centrifugal water separators? I do love this thing though, just a couple minor issues to cover. Thanks again Gents! Chris

As far as I know the 'JOG LOCK' button cannot be disabled - however the .1 handle jog button can be disabled instead.
    Setting 163.

Hope this helps.

For what its worth I did the same bobo with a TM3,Gerald

Go to habor freight and get their air drier, about 4 hundred bucks, sometime they have to have it shipped in.

Compressed Air Dryer
    Item # 40211

I have used one for 3 years, still going stong.
    fairly quiet.

Lowell

Quote Originally Posted by toyranosaur View Post
    Thanks so much for the input, Gents! I ultimately wussed out & had the tech come look at it ($600, but warranty doesn't cover my error.)
    Next time don't tell them that you crashed the machine unless of course you really messed things up. It will save you $600.00. That is what the warranty is for. IMO
    Jeff Lange
    Lightning Tool & Manufacturing, Inc.

I shall indeed check on that HF drier, thanks! And yeah, that $600 stings: I thought they'd perchance look at it & not charge me as a courtesy. I've disabused myself of that notion! In the future I may fudge that I had anything to do with it. Chris

What's wrong with just owning up to you made a mistake next time instead? I've crashed the machine before and took my lumps for it.

I need not wait for next time, moron: I was honest this time to the tune of $600. You'd be taking some lumps if you were here, too. Next time read the whole thread before you belch your gas. For a new guy with a name like 'Unassumption', you sure assume a lot! And ya know what they say happens when you assume.....(nuts) Chris

You said you admited your mistake "this time". You implied you wouldn't do it next time. Does the world owe you something? Are you entitled to some free service even if it's your fault? "IF" I was there YOU wouldn't be the one passing out lumps I can assure you of that tough guy. You don't have to start with the childish name calling either. I just asked a question and it looks like you went into servo overload. Grow up and assume responsibility

Did the same thing with a VF-2 yrs back. Had it in .100" instead of .010 I thought it was in. Jogged down in z and just obliterated a .375" carbide end mill. Machine ran fine post event. Just spooked me out like crazy, of course the doors were open so I got to feel the impact!

Yes, the impact seems like a piledriver at the time, even though it's really not too bad. If it wasn't such a precision instrument it wouldn't bother me much!

'Unassumption', your second post ever was to deride me with your schoolmarmish tone: Bully for you if you're Mr.Honesty, but I don't need the morality police admonishing me for the way I deal with a possible future event! I don't know nor care what your problem is, but I'll thank you to stay out of my thread if you've nothing more on-topic to contribute. I don't think the world owes me anything, but YOU owe me an apology. You have a lot of gall to, coincidentally due to your name, 'Assume' I may do something in the future that doesn't measure up to your high standards. Seems there's always a few of you clowns on any forum. (Are you a woman, by chance? That would explain everything.) Chris

I've only been running a Haas for 5 years. When I select whichever jog rate button, I look at the screen, not the button, for confirmation of the current jog rate. This helps to avoid dangerous feedrate assumptions and/or faked button presses that didn't take for whatever reason.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

We all develop habits that are questionable over time, and I'm sure I'm not alone in hitting buttons whilst looking at the work, probe, etc: I just never managed to hit the Jog Lock key before. Now I'm all paranoid and am seriously considering a semi-permanent mod, like Shoe-Goo'ing something to it so I have a tactile feedback and will never do it again. It could have been much worse, thank God. Thanks to all who had something of value to contribute! Chris

Page 1 of 2 12