585,753 active members*
4,299 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Sketchup..... anyone using it

First post...time to de-lurk......
    I have been playing with the demo version of sketchup and its very easy to
    get along with. It allows me to save files as .dxf and wondered if anyone here has tried it with mach2 and successfully machined with it.

I dont have a cnc as yet still gathering bits and most of my work is going to
    be milled.

also has anyone here converted a 6 x 26 knee mill as yet

I tried the search and couldnt find if anyone has.....

these here are what i make....i just want to make the process easier and cnc looks the way to go.

an excellant informative site....

thanks in advance

Ian

Yes, I have used Sketch-UP quite a bit for the case-modding that I do.

A lot of case modders use it as well. Pretty nice program, can be as accurate or loose as you want.

However, for my design work I use Autodesk Inventor and not Sketch-UP.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Check Out My Build-Log: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6452

I also use sketcup for some quick 3D modeling, but I like to use Autocad for the "real" stuff.

thanks guys....I find it a basic program but for what my needs are its fine.

Ian

Unhappy

Ok, i did'nt get that
    Is there anyone oute there who have tested to make mach2-code of a drawing made in sketchup and got it to work??

(Sorry for my bad english)

What file types does it export? You'd first have to find a CAM program which will take a compatible file type to creat your G-code and then Mac 2/3 will run it no problem [ if its one of the more common CAM programs anyway]

It's not the drawing program which is going to create the code for Mach 2/3 so that shouldn't be an issue as long as it can export to Step or Iges or some other 3D model file which your CAM program can import.

Jerry
    JerryFlyGuy
    The more I know... the more I realize I don't
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)