585,768 active members*
4,062 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Opinion's on George's (gio666) Kit/Machine
Page 1 of 7 123

Opinion's on George's (gio666) Kit/Machine

Many of us have been following George's thread on the systems and kits he is developing and selling. That thread has grown quite long at over 60 pages, and while it's a very informative thread, it's hard for someone looking for confirmation of the quality of the machines to separate the wheat from the chaff, as it were. Let's hear from some of the owners of George's machines, here in a separate thread, and get their opinions on the machines they've received.

Well I got my machine almost three weeks ago. Unfortunately the y axis was not straight and there was quite a bit of hardware missing in the original shipment.

George has sent most of the missing hardware but I'm still waiting for a replacement y axis. I'm also still waiting for the motor mount as well as the correct power supply.

I’ll be posting a full review when I'm actually able to run my machine.

Well I guess I'll add my 2 cents to this thread LOL. I got my Machine a few month ago. The fit and finish is out standing. If there's some of you that are thinking weather to buy or not, I say buy. You won't find a better deal for a machine in this class that's for sure. George is a great guy to deal, very busy being he's a one man company for now. Again whom ever is thinking of buying, BUY it's well worth the $$$$$. Here a link to my machine I believe it's Post #119, the machine is 20" x 24".
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...=88026&page=23

I'll be able to comment in detail soon. I just got the 8" Z axis, and my upgraded 16-10 screws.

Not that I am expecting any, but I am confident that if there are any issues, George will make it right.

I have ordered one and am waiting for it (30 x 36). I don't expect to be dissapointed.
    I'll post here after it arrives.

I made my first cuts yesterday. It was nice to make some sawdust! So far so good.

I made a tabletop out of a 3/4" sheet of MDF with a 3/4" sheet on slotted MDF on top. Pretty good low cost solution. And if I wreck it (which I am expecting as I learn the softwares, etc) no big deal.

I still have to get some CAD and CAM software before I can really do anything.

The only problem I have had so far is not related to the machine, but the computer I am running Mach3 on. I get an intermittent chatter on one of the axis. I thought it was because I'm using a long parallel cable, but the problem persisted with my Xylotex board (I bought this years ago) plugged directly into the computer. It didn't do this before, so I have to think back to all the changes I made to the computer recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Semisentient View Post
    I made my first cuts yesterday. It was nice to make some sawdust! So far so good.

I made a tabletop out of a 3/4" sheet of MDF with a 3/4" sheet on slotted MDF on top. Pretty good low cost solution. And if I wreck it (which I am expecting as I learn the softwares, etc) no big deal.

I still have to get some CAD and CAM software before I can really do anything.

The only problem I have had so far is not related to the machine, but the computer I am running Mach3 on. I get an intermittent chatter on one of the axis. I thought it was because I'm using a long parallel cable, but the problem persisted with my Xylotex board (I bought this years ago) plugged directly into the computer. It didn't do this before, so I have to think back to all the changes I made to the computer recently.
    You mention the Xylotex driver almost apologetically. Now I'm sure it did not go bad just sitting in a box. Is it because it is considered a sub-standard board?
    I only ask this because I also have a xylotex board and I hope it will suffice as I have not used mine yet either.
    I will be buying a BOB from cnc4pc with opto isolators.

Quote Originally Posted by bfcg View Post
    You mention the Xylotex driver almost apologetically. Now I'm sure it did not go bad just sitting in a box. Is it because it is considered a sub-standard board?
    I only ask this because I also have a xylotex board and I hope it will suffice as I have not used mine yet either.
    I don't believe the Xylotex board is substandard. The only reservation I have is that it is an all-in-one board, and the potential to blow the whole thing. I just mentioned it was a Xylotex board so people didn't think I was having a problem with something George supplied. Anyways, I think the board is fine, but that my computer is acting up.

I will know more about how well the Xylotex board works in the upcoming weeks as I play with my machine.

Quote Originally Posted by bfcg View Post
    The Xylotex board has its limitations -- current and voltage limits, mid-band resonance issues -- but is an ok board. It has been around quite a while and its affordability certainly helped bring a lot of people into the cnc hobby.

Its best years however are behind it and many of the people who would have used a Xylotex in the past are now opting for a Gecko G540 which has higher voltage and current limits, mid-band resonance compensation circuitry and comes with a built-in BOB.

bob

Thanks for the insight rowbare. I like the idea of the Gecko because it is widely used and you could find plenty of support for it.
    I'll look into it as an upgrade after I get my feet wet.

My machine has been up and running for over a month now. I'm very happy with the accuracy and the performance. I've cut mostly aluminium, some Starboard plastic and MDF. It cuts the Al fine with light cuts and high feed rates. It cuts Starboard like butter. And MDF is not a problem as long as you have dust collection.

George has posted some videos of my machine cutting AL and the part was half a thou off. I'm happy.

I think I got the first 30 inch machine out there and I was a little ahead of the game because I had a homemade machine before this one. My learning curve was about 1.5 years ago. So all I had to do was transfer my motors and router over and recalibrate the Steps/rev in Mach 3 and I was cutting.

Some specs of my machine.

Drive= Gecko G5440
    Software=Mach3,Vectric cut 2d
    Pendant=Logitrol
    Stepper motors= 380 oz from Novakon
    Spindle= Bosch Colt trim router and router mount from K2

Overall it a great machine for the price. If you price all the pieces (ball screws, ball nuts, supported rails, 8020 profiles plus machining of ball screws, rails and profiles) individually you would be difficult to build it cheaper.

I received my machine mid March. I think I got the first supported machine in the USA so I was a bit of a guinea pig for shipping procedures. After a month of gathering up my supplies to fire it up I finally took my first cut last night. I'm a total noobie to DIY CNC but I am a machinist so it was only a matter of minutes once everything was calibrated right to start making parts.

George has gone above and beyond the call of duty to help me out, and I commend him for putting up with my bull**** during the long lead time. I was pretty pissed during the end of my wait, but I am very glad I didn't cancel the order because the quality of the machine and its components is fantastic. I would be incredibly hard pressed to find anything remotely close in size and price made from aluminum. While I cant say that I had the same issue with my Y axis, I did however have some missing hardware. Which again I cant really argue or complain because my machine was the first to ship and I am sure George had a million things going on in his mind. Pretty pointless throwing a fit over $8.98 in hardware to complete assembly when he just saved me thousands of dollars with buying his machine.

I will primarily use this machine to cut wood because I am a guitar builder, but I may throw the occasional aluminum in there. My first part run was a tree of life inlay using a .032 inlay bit running 30in/min at 16k spindle speed and it cut it like butter. I know the feed is kind of low but I was unsure how the tiny end mill would handle wood at faster speeds. Test cuts on pine with a 1/2 cutter I was able to get up to 120in/min cutting speed and it was very accurate with a very good finish.

Some specs of my machine.

Drive= Gecko G544
    Software= Mach3,Vectric Vcarve pro 5.5
    Stepper motors= 270oz from George
    Spindle= Porter Cable 7518 and router mount from K2 (which is junk btw)

Would I do it all over again? Absolutely! After I make some money with this one I plan on buying a few more if the work load continues to increase.

I received my machine last week and it was missing a motor mount and a bearing housing, but George told me about it ahead of time so there were no surprises. I will post a full review when I am able to cut parts, but so far so good. I could not be happier with the quality of the machine. It is fantastic.

Also, I was impressed and thankful that nothing was damaged in transit. I ordered a really big machine (30" x 60"). The ballscrews were very well protected and the machine was 75% assembled on arrival. It bolted together without a hitch and the movements of the axes are smooth and extremely rigid.

More pictures and videos will be posted in a few weeks when I am cutting.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2010-05-08 18.19.46.jpg  

Everyone using steppers or anyone tried servo's?
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by bandtank View Post
    I received my machine last week and it was missing a motor mount and a bearing housing, but George told me about it ahead of time so there were no surprises. I will post a full review when I am able to cut parts, but so far so good. I could not be happier with the quality of the machine. It is fantastic.

Also, I was impressed and thankful that nothing was damaged in transit. I ordered a really big machine (30" x 60"). The ballscrews were very well protected and the machine was 75% assembled on arrival. It bolted together without a hitch and the movements of the axes are smooth and extremely rigid.

More pictures and videos will be posted in a few weeks when I am cutting.
    Thanks for the input, two questions for you: is there any shielding to keep dust off the rails, and how long was it from when you sent George your money until you received your machine?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Clara View Post
    Thanks for the input, two questions for you: is there any shielding to keep dust off the rails, and how long was it from when you sent George your money until you received your machine?
    There is no shielding on the bearing rails, but I'm going to add something when I make a table. The bearings seem to be very good at catching dirt and dust on their own, but I would like to cut down on the amount getting on the rails anyway. I'll be using a vacuum system as well I think.

It was a long wait, but worth it. I started to get frustrated toward the end and considered asking for a refund. However, it would have been a mistake and I'm glad I waited. It was a period of a few months. I believe George has learned a lot from his first few machines after talking with him and seeing the results. The machines weren't fully designed back when I submitted my order I don't think, but they have matured quite a bit if you follow the pictures in his threads.

Quote Originally Posted by bandtank View Post

Hi 'bandtank' - I have the same machine as you have received on order. I wonder if I could trouble you to take a few simple measurements for me. I'm wanting to build a table for my machine now so that once it arrives I can be up and running asap. I need to know the maximum width and length of the machine (the machine itself, not the cutting width and length) and the distance from your dining room table to the top of the rails. Thanks in advance.

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlander View Post
    Hi 'bandtank' - I have the same machine as you have received on order. I wonder if I could trouble you to take a few simple measurements for me. I'm wanting to build a table for my machine now so that once it arrives I can be up and running asap. I need to know the maximum width and length of the machine (the machine itself, not the cutting width and length) and the distance from your dining room table to the top of the rails. Thanks in advance.

Scott
    I'll get this done for you tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlander View Post

Scott
    The machine is 59.75" x 30". I don't know what you mean by top of the rails.

Page 1 of 7 123