585,766 active members*
4,027 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Mori Seiki Machines > Mori Seiki lathes > SL-1 Yasnac 2000G cycle start problems

SL-1 Yasnac 2000G cycle start problems

Hello,

Yesterday I ran into a problem with the cycle start not working. At first thought it was probably a simple switch issue. Upon further investigation I found that the button was working fine. Checked it with my digital multimeter. I then checked the white wire from the switch down to connector J10 which is located behind an access panel between the control cabinet and the coolant tank. I have continuity down this far. Where does this switch hook to, is it the main board, the I/O board, something else entirely? I really need to get this machine back up and running. I have quite a few parts lined up for it. Any help would be much appreciated. I will probably call Yaskawa on Mon, but I usually can't get much help there considering the age of the machine and most of the tech's have never worked on a 2000G.

Thanks in advance guys

been a while on a 2000, but here goes.
    You need to check for voltage at the switch, probably 24VDC, but I can't remember if it's a negative 24 or +24 that goes to the I/O board. No prints here.
    Also, check the switch in MDI mode, by turning on coolant or something. Sometimes a interlock from a spindle or chuck clamp, or turret will cause the cycle start not to work. Barfeeders are very common to do this as well. Check all the connectors on the boards as well, they get fuz around them causing weird problems.

I also have a Mori with Yasnac 2000 but mine is 2000b. To be sure, if the chuck clamp is not engaged, cycle start will not work. Several times I have been in this situation in a panic only to realize the chuck is not engaged. You should see the chuck clamp light on.

If the clamp is ok, there are so many things to go wrong. Does the machine zero x and z? Is the rotary system switch set to 0 inside the control panel?

I wish I could help more because I have been in and am actually in the same situation with the machine down and no help! The local repair techs and Yaskawa are really of little help so I depend more and more on the discussion group. We need to stick together and help each other out. It would be great to get a group of Yasnac users together. We could directly help each other and in the future we could retrofit our machines as a group to get beyond the limitations of this old control! If anyone out there is thinking along these lines as well, let's come up with a plan!! I have some specific ideas about PLC, control board interface to the existing or new motor amps and software that we could use. My motivation is not to make money for myself but to save these great little lathes from extinction. Perhaps we could even have our own channel on practical machinery to communicate.

Keith
    Oklahoma City

Thanks for the input guys,

Turns out that I have a mechanical problem with my turret and when it rotated to the next tool, it didn't properly seat down into the curvic coupling but rather came to rest on the top of the teeth or the coupling (hope this makes sense). If I index only 1 or 2 tools, everything is fine, but if I index more than 4, the turret will not properly seat into place, thus not engaging the proper limit switches, plus no alarm. I have found a programming work around for now, until I can get time to pop the turret off and examine things. Any ideas what could be going on here mechanically?

Spindoc,

Have you tried this website, http://nosala.com/phpBB2/
    Unfortunately it appears to be down for maintenance right now.

Thanks again

Wayne Nosalla has shut down his bulletin board for Mori due to spammers.

It could be dirty inside or coming apart. My turret was somehow jamming and I did not know it. I would be running a program and everything would stop at the tool change. If I stopped and jogged the turret to another position, I could rerun the program. It was an intermittent problem but since cleaning and aligning the problem has gone away. I suspect you may be seeing the same thing.

I took my turret apart recently. It was not a difficult process. You may want to do the same and clean the teeth of the coupling. There are some screws and then when the cap comes off there is a nut held by a bendable washer that you have to get out of the way. I used a hammer and aluminum bar to tap on the slots in the round nut to get it off. The tooth on the washer had already been broken off so I did not have to bend it.

The manual does describe how to align the turret but does not describe that the taper pins have threaded holes in them.. So you can remove them with one of the screws that you have to remove to disassemble it. I just placed a nut over the pin with a washer under the head of the screw and turned the scew to pull the pin much like using a pulley puller.

Turret Not Seating

Before you get into an alignment ... I am one of those "old" Mori Tech's ... this problem was often caused by too much weight on one end of the turret ... I mean un-even weight distribution of the tools around the turret.

I know you want to go tool 1, tool 2, tool3, etc. for speed ... but if you have a lot of ID holders mounted from say tool's 1-3 and nothing on the other side of the turret ... say tool's 6-8, the turret has too much weight and when it spins it is too heavy and won't seat. This is especially true when the machine gets older.

You can even add some blank tool holders just to more even out the weight ... but the weight on the turret needs to be evenly distributed.

Hope this helps ...

Real World Machine Shop Software at ... www.KentechInc.com

Another common problem is the center nut comes loose. E stop in a index so the turret is unclamped and check it. Also have had contactor issues cause this.

Common problem with that model Mori

few things can cause that problem, Excessive wear on components, And crashes, and spanner nut coming loose

First thing I would personally address is check turret to see if it is centered

Dial down in X 5 inches and see if turret is bumped off center

I have had mine apart quite a few times, and there are some simple tricks to
    get those couplers to engage

One thing I have done on all 3 of my SL-1s, The spanner nut that
    holds the turret secure, I made new nuts to actually get a good bite
    on them with a socket, rather than fighting with those spanner things

Sometimes the spanner nut just comes loose allowing the turret enough
    mechanical slop to throw off engagement.

Sometimes if turret is bumped off center, pulling the turret and doing an alignment
    can fix the problem. I learned the procedure by watching a service guy do one
    its not as tough as it sounds. I can try to describe, buy would be a lengthy typed up
    assignment for me

Another point, regarding cycle start

Look at the lamp near the turret, if everything is in sequence and functioning
    the lamp will be lit on completion of clamp, If not lit, turret sequence is not complete
    and machine will not start

Wayne
    Visit our face book page, search on FaceBook; High-Desert-Precision-CNC-Machining-Nosalas-Hobby-Shop

Have you tried this website, http://nosala.com/phpBB2/
    Unfortunately it appears to be down for maintenance right now.

Thanks again
    Will try to get the board back up soon, Got hacked and dozens upon dozens
    spam sign ups a day, Just have not had time to fiddle with it

Otherwise, seems like CNCzone has things covered well, I check in here periodically and help when I can

Thanks
    Wayne
    Visit our face book page, search on FaceBook; High-Desert-Precision-CNC-Machining-Nosalas-Hobby-Shop