584,862 active members*
5,814 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Moving part using hydraulics or pnuematics

Moving part using hydraulics or pnuematics

I've got a problem....

I am trying to come up with a solution for machining a 97" long part using a vertical mill with a 84" maximum travel in the x-axis. As of now I am using multiple clampings in order to face both ends to length and drill two holes.

I have thinking about using m-code relays to shift the part laterally along the x-axis in order to reach both ends. I am working with extrusions and tolerances are quite large so precision is not extremely critical. This sounds like a fairly easy task, however being a newbie I have never worked with m-code relays before.

Has anybody had any experience with this?

Other than purchasing a new machine, or using multiple clampings, are these my only options?

Thanks,

I used to machine features into aluminum extrusion in excess of 100 inches on a table only 40 inches wide, sometimes requiring 3 shifts.

My tolerances were wide also, so I just scribed a center line in the aluminum and lined it up visually with a full-point countersink in the spindle. After I shifted the part, the c-sink was programmed to rapid down, then feed to almost contact the scribed surface so I could line it up and re-clamp.

I know you're dreaming of a more automated solution, I did too, but I thought maybe my scribe-and-shift method would be less headache than whatever you're currently using.

I have a pretty decent 2 stage fixture with accurate offsets to each clamping position. I am looking for a more automated solution where I can get the part finished without reclamping again