585,975 active members*
4,635 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Milltronics > Advice on buying a Partner 1

Advice on buying a Partner 1

I am looking to purchase a Partner 1. I have seen pictures and videos of the machine, and I have the opportunity to see it in person before I buy. I has quite a few upgrades done on it.

Can I get some suggestions on what to look for? I do not know the machine type as well, so some weak points, common maintenance needs, etc. would be great suggestions...

From what I know, Milltronics made multiple models with the Partner 1 designation. Some were knee mills, others were enclosed bed mills with tool changers. We still have a bed mill type Partner 1 that was built in 1995 that we purchased new. It has the worst lubrication of any machine I’ve used in the past 35 years. Stupid grease fittings that you can’t get to without taking the covers off. Other than that it worked flawlessly until a few years ago when it was semiretired for a faster machine. What controller does the one have you’re looking at? That could be a deal killer. Don’t buy it unless it has a Centurion V or newer controller. Cent. V is slow but can be updated. Older models will need to be gutted and replaced for the price of a good newer machine.

Thanks for the reply.

It is a Centurion V controller, and as stated the motherboard has been recently "refurbished" and upgraded from 16MB to 64MB.

It is an enclosed bed mill style, with 20 position ATC.

Any response, further questions I should ask and look at, I would greatly appreciate it!