585,729 active members*
4,900 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > CamWorks > Switch Mastercam to Camworks

Switch Mastercam to Camworks

Any one made this change. We are using Solidworks 2010 and Mastercam X2 lathe mill and wire. It will cost us the same to pay the upgrade as to buy new software and after dealing with CNC Software since version 8 I am very tired of their cell phone like sales tactics.

John

few years ago at my previous work place, we went from mastercam 9 to camworks 2006/2007. It was great. I hated drawing in mastercam, especially when compared to solidworks. not having to deal with different layers (to chain geometries that overlaps) is great. not having to deal with multiple type of files is great, everything is in one solidworks file.

it does take a bit to get used to. making toolpath is more like a 2 step/layer process. you first define the "machining feature" and then you apply a "machining strategy" to the feature. it's better in some situation, more clumpsy in other situation. again, it just take getting used to the workflow.

camworks lathe is not very good, it gets the job done, but takes some tweaking usually. I also used the mill-turn, works pretty good. never used mill-turn on mastercam, so i can't make comparison.

feel free to ask more questions if needed.

my new job uses camworks. i think it has the highest easy to learn/power ration by a mile. i love it.

I agree

I think Yoshi hit in on the head. I came from SurfCAM and it took a little getting used to. But there is A TON of material to help you learn. It comes with a pretty complete set of manuals with tutorials. The help menus are laid out well and there is also a SolidProfessor video training course available.

Once you get over the new process, there are some really great features. Coming from SurfCAM, having the ability to Undo was huge!