585,735 active members*
4,859 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Fanuc > Fanuc O-T _ RS232 _ 25 pin to PC?

Fanuc O-T _ RS232 _ 25 pin to PC?

Hello there.

I know that this has probably been asked million times but I was unable to find an answer via the search control.

We acquired an older CNC lathe with a Fanuc O-T control that is from 1991? It has a 25 pin female port on the lathe. The 25 pin female connector is wired into a Honda MR-20L connector to position M5 on the board, if that is of an help.

I am trying to figure out how to get this connected to a laptop that has a 9 pin female port.

Can I just use any 25 p Male to 9 p female cable and then stick a 9 pin male to male connector at the laptop side or do I need a specific cable?

Do I need to make my own cable?

I have seen way too many variations on how these should be wired so I am left not knowing what to do. I have seen some with handshaking and some without. Some that bridge certain pins and some that don't. Some that cross 2 and 3 or have 2 to 2 and 3 to 3. Some that cross 5 and 7 and some that are direct.

WTF? I am clueless as to what to do.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Greebe

I would use caution on this one.
    We did this several years ago with the same vintage controler, we used a cable from one of our other machines. (Different make same controler)
    We got a 101 alarm (please clear memory)
    and had to wipe out all stored programs in machine.
    Fanuc said it was caused by incorrect cable configuration.
    Save yourself some trouble and make sure you have correct cable,
    Fanuc told us that not all machine builders use the same cable configuration.
    Hope this helps
    Chris J.

You can build your own if you're handy at soldering, or you can buy one. Predator Software sells the cables for $1.50/foot (minimum 25 feet). They include connectors for each end and are guaranteed for 5 years.

If you want to build one, you'll need a minum 3 conductors. I recommend a stranded-shielded 4-conductor cable (available at Fry's), a DB25 male and DB9 female connector.

Connections as follows:

NC 25M <------------> PC 9F
    1 <------- shield ---- (no connection)
    2 <-------------------> 2
    3 <-------------------> 3
    7 <-------------------> 5
    4&5 jumpered (NC end only)
    6, 8, & 20 jumpered (NC end only)

I found my paper work on the cable that Fanuc specified for us in 2003
    The connections are as stated above by dccoupar.
    Fanuc also says that on the 9 pin connection end to
    jumper 7-8
    jumper 6-1-4
    DO NOT connect anything to on your computer to pin 25 on the rs-232 port of the machine, Fanuc uses this for +24V
    They call this a null modem cable
    If you want a copy of this paper from Fanuc, send me your Fax# I will fax you a copy.
    Best regards
    Chris J.

Thanks for the help. I need some more advice now as the old computer is dead. We have a new laptop that only has USB ports. How should we connect this computer to the CNC lathe now? can a 9 pin to USB be used? I have heard some people say this is possible and other say it wont work. Is there a cable made for this?

Thanks again,
    Greebe

You need a USB/RS232 adaptor ($25.00), I have found they work for the most part.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Use a USB to serial adaptor, and the cable configuration above. Aso check the parameters on the NC- I think you have to check parameters 0002, 0012, 0038, 0552, and 0553.

The Fanuc operators manual shows the honda connector pinout for the M5 connector. You may want to check this connector first to see that there is nothing odd on it, just to be on the safe side. It should have cables going to the 25pin connector on pins 5,8,9,10,14,16,17,18,19, and 20, tough you are only going to use 3 cables.

Hope this helps!

Thanks guys. A friend just gave me a RS232 break out box today. I am not exactly sure what to do with it. Is there a way to plug it into the lathe to see what the configuration is? If so, what do I need to do on the lathe end to make it work with the break out box?

As far as the USB to 9 pin serial adapter, will any of them work or do I need a specific one?

Thanks again,
    Greebe

Quote Originally Posted by gilchapa View Post
    Use a USB to serial adaptor, and the cable configuration above. Aso check the parameters on the NC- I think you have to check parameters 0002, 0012, 0038, 0552, and 0553.

Hope this helps!
    What am I checking and where do I check for it?

Thanks
    Greebe

The break out box informs the status of the handshake lines etc, usually green for high red for low, the hardware handshake lines should show high and the TX/RX (2&3) will toggle grn/red with data.
    This info has been posted many many times, I don't know why you would have missed it with a search?
    Al.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    This info has been posted many many times, I don't know why you would have missed it with a search?
    Al.
    Yes I must have because I didn't find this particular question / answer that I needed. That is way I asked here. If you know of a similar post that would have the answer I need, please feel free to list the link and I would be grateful.

Thanks
    Greebe

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    The break out box informs the status of the handshake lines etc, usually green for high red for low, the hardware handshake lines should show high and the TX/RX (2&3) will toggle grn/red with data.
    Al.
    Thanks for the link. I don't know if the Fanuc -0M is the same as the 0T, but appreciated none the less. I am not sure what to do with most of the info on the pdf, but I will try to search for how to use it.

Thanks
    Greebe

Use 3 wire cable as per dcoupar Post #3 and Cadem software.
    http://www.cadem.com/free_dnc_drip_f..._machining.htm
    Al.

Albert E.