584,846 active members*
4,007 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Hobby Projects > Hobby Discussion > Home Simulator Project

Home Simulator Project

Hi guys, I've got a burning desire to make some parts for a flight simulator... the first thing (maybe the only thing that I'll be making but at least I'm interested in making it none the less) is this:

http://www.737ngproject.be/throttle.htm

I understand the basic procedure... create the design in a CAD program, then transfer it to a program that communicates directly with a CNC machine... cut the pieces out... stick em together and you're done. The question is... since money is usually the main constraint... I want to know what the cheapest method of making this throttle quadrant is. The materials are obviously the cheapest part in the project and I'm really just interested in what sort of programs I should get my hands on in order to complete this sort of project and what my milling/CNC options are. I've got a lot of tools lying around, just not a CNC router and I'm sure there will be a few other ones that be needed but the CNC is really the main problem area due to the price.

Not sure if that is your website or not but that is an impressive display of skills!

The use of MDF is, in my lowly opinion, going to be the best bet cost wise for material. As far as method, I think a wood CNC router like a Joe or JRGO would be a good way to get started. I am in the process of making a JRGO since the pieces of MDF can be cut using every day power tools.

For programs, do some research and see which CAD programs can be used in converting their vectors into G-code. I suggest you spend some time in the woodworking portion of this forum and see what you can get from there.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

NearBeer

I think it is fair to say that if it was my site, I wouldn't be asking such beginner type questions