585,591 active members*
2,916 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Surfcam > Surfcam Lathe Backplot/Verify

Surfcam Lathe Backplot/Verify

Just wondering as to how you configure Surfcam Lathe so that the Verify & Backplot works correctly? I'm using Part Dia. Orientation X=dia Z=length. This is for a Haas HL lathe.

Thanks for any help.

I had problems setting that up too because it didn't seem to follow common sense. Here are the settings that I use:

right click on Setup One to edit set up information
    click on stock tab
    current stock= 1
    stock type= cylinder
    rotation axis= X axis
    Coords= world
    Axis 1 x= - distance from Z0 for part (sample for me would be -.26")
    diameter= enter raw stock diameter
    click add

Now when you click on verify, the verify should work properly. These settings work for me for Surfcam lathe. I'm not sure if there is another way but it does show it properly being machined.

Hey Thanks for the reply, sure seems out of charactor to tell it the axis of rotation is "X". I'm guessing it post as if the axis of Rotation is "Z"?

Thanks again and I will let you know my results.

Quote Originally Posted by troy676zsj View Post
    Hey Thanks for the reply, sure seems out of charactor to tell it the axis of rotation is "X". I'm guessing it post as if the axis of Rotation is "Z"?

Thanks again and I will let you know my results.
    I'm not sure what you mean by post here, but verify doesn't take into account your post processor. I think verify has a bug in it that kind of makes it think in mill terms when trying to use it for lathe processes. But at least it works pretty darn well with those adjustments in the setup menu. You can verify if your post works somewhat correctly by posting the program and then use the editNC window that pops up and use: Analysis, then back plot.

Im not here to critizize Surfware, but it's pretty sad that Verify for lathe doesn't work as it's suppose to. So your true code has to be checked in editnc and then analysis, backplot.

Thanks for the help.

Do you hvae any experience at setting up a Slant Bed type lathe in Surfcam? Rear turret. and the tools are mounted upside down. Haas lathe.

We use Surfcam to program our Haas SL-10. Did you have another question about that?

I have an HL-2 lathe. Under the "Tool Info" Tab, do use "Rear Turret"? Under "Turn Control" tab what "cut angle" and "retract angle" are you using?

Just a simple OD part turning.

Thanks again

Looking at pictures at HL-2 lathes, the set up is similiar to our SL-10. First thing I do is go to Tools, Axis, then lathe diameter. This tab is at the top of the screen, next to the Help. I'm not sure how this pic will insert, but this is what my screen looks like on the first step of programming. If this doesn't come out clearly, I can PM it to you if you want.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lathe setup.jpg  

Hey thanks I got the screen shot. It looks like you use the Front Turret mount? Yeah the Hl-1 and -2 are pretty much the same machine. Does yours have a tail stock, I was told thats the difference. What throws me is that the tools are mounted upside down in the turret, and Verify shows them upright? And yes changing to the X-Axis solved my problem. Thanks.

Verify I think just shows the orientation of the cutting tip and what angle it is approaching from. If you think about the tool mounting on the turret, if the turret was located on the operator side, then the tool would not be upside down but it would still be bolted on the turret in the same exact way.

For lathe programming, I find the back plot function to be really helpful. It is the icon right next to the verify button, on the right side. You can pick any operation, or all of them and single step thru the movement of the cutter. It shows the tool nose radius and how it engages with the work piece.

So it sounds like I just leave everything to the defauts.

I shall try it this weekend.

Thanks again for the help.

Well I'm still not doing something right, if I use the front mount Turret it thinks I'm trying to bore the ID. Hopefully this capture comes thru, it shows the orientation of what I want to cut. It's away from Zero because it will have a hole in it.

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails surfcam lathe 2.jpg  

Make sure that the tool you are using says OD turn, because under the select tool tab, you have choice of picking ID face/turn and OD face/turn. I think that might be your problem. The other thing it could be is if you are using the stock post for the Haas. For some strange reason, it posts negative X movements. Do a search on this section of the forum for Haas post, someone had this problem and there was a fix posted.

Here is the link: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...ight=haas+post

Thinking about your problem more, if your program looks correct in verify, then it is your post. Verify doesn't take into account how your post is set up. Once you post a program, then you get another screen that has a folder option called Analysis, and under that is back plot. That back plot will show how it ends up cutting because it takes into account your post. If your posted x movements are negative, then it is your post.