584,829 active members*
5,330 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > Chuck will not open

Chuck will not open

okuma ospl5020l when i hit the foot pedal or try mdi chuck will not open or close. does anyone know what may be causing this . thanks for any help.

Any Okuma tech will probably tell you its a RU1 board.

Any Okuma worth his salt will tell you that for sure! Common problem. You can buy a RU1 from Okuma, think they are about 800.00 bucks, or I know a guy that does them....

Must be a Cadet

Quote Originally Posted by bruiserba View Post
    okuma ospl5020l when i hit the foot pedal or try mdi chuck will not open or close. does anyone know what may be causing this . thanks for any help.
    to be sure, spindel should not running to open.
    1.if you had a part in for longer Time and it opens not the chuck, give mor psi

2. if its not open in normaly mode, i have had this on an Lb15 some times and it was just a simple Relay (sitting in the back door).

Tailstock not fully retracted ?
    ie limit not tripped
    Diagnostic page give any info ?

this guy can press something in the back of the machine and the chuck will open and close. but when u press the foot pedal or mdi nothin happens.so this sounds like a RV1board bad.

I wouldn't say without investigation. There is diagnostic message. If You try M83 is for chuck clamp, M84 unclamp in MDI mode, You will see message on diagnostic screen.
    There could be a lot of reasons. Faulty pulse generator, for instance, and OSP doesn't knows, that spindle revolution stopped.

Sometimes it's in Machine Lock! DOH! don't forget the simple things...

Try it in MDI using M83 and 84 like Algirdas says. If it works in MDI you may have severed wires in your footswitch (happened here 2 weeks ago) or a bad connection. Look in Check Data to see if you are getting the input from the footswitch.

Best regards,

Quote Originally Posted by bruiserba View Post
    this guy can press something in the back of the machine and the chuck will open and close. but when u press the foot pedal or mdi nothin happens.so this sounds like a RV1board bad.

Sounds like a RU1 to me, unless he is pushing on the solenoid. That is the most common failure on the RU1. Still need to check everything else to make sure.

Sounds like a RU1 to me
    I agree 100%. I would like to add, that the RU1 is not absolute name of relay set. You need to find these relays. The name of relay is displayed on diagnostic message if any. Single Relay could be replaced. Must be re-soldered on RU1. There are also solutions with relays sitting in the connectors, easy check and easy change.

As mentioned by some of the others Keep It Simple. Check your inputs and outputs in check data. First check and see if you have either the chuck closed or open input being made, one or the other should be made depending if the chuck is opened or closed. If not then start there. See if you get the input from the footswitch when pressed. If these are good then check the output to fire the chuck when the pedal is pressed. If the output is being fired then check the wire at the solenoid to see if you have voltage there. This will confirm if your RU1 board is working. If the output is firing but no voltage at the solenoid then check the wiring in between. If you have voltage at the solenoid then maybe a bad solenoid. You can check the output voltage at the RU1 board as well. Do this before you just up and order an 800 dollar board for nothing. If all this checks out then the chuck may be phyisicaly bound up or frozen. You will typicaly find the answer in one of these areas. Good Luck

Re: Chuck will not open

Quote Originally Posted by CNCZILLA View Post
    As mentioned by some of the others Keep It Simple. Check your inputs and outputs in check data. First check and see if you have either the chuck closed or open input being made, one or the other should be made depending if the chuck is opened or closed. If not then start there. See if you get the input from the footswitch when pressed. If these are good then check the output to fire the chuck when the pedal is pressed. If the output is being fired then check the wire at the solenoid to see if you have voltage there. This will confirm if your RU1 board is working. If the output is firing but no voltage at the solenoid then check the wiring in between. If you have voltage at the solenoid then maybe a bad solenoid. You can check the output voltage at the RU1 board as well. Do this before you just up and order an 800 dollar board for nothing. If all this checks out then the chuck may be phyisicaly bound up or frozen. You will typicaly find the answer in one of these areas. Good Luck

I have same problem with my LB15 chuck not open or close , but this is happen randomly time to time , i did check valve and solenoids looks them working ok , cant open and close in MDI, looks its problem in the relay board on the back door , this is the RU board ?? not sure where the problem is , any ideas ?
    thanks
    Peter

Re: Chuck will not open

Lb 15 probably won't have the Ru1 board, early machines used ICE cube relays.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by underthetire View Post
    Lb 15 probably won't have the Ru1 board, early machines used ICE cube relays.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk
    I think some of those relays are responsible for control solenoid valves
    I find 2 relays that could control ,I will replace them with new ones from RS and see what happens ,otherwise i have no idea what wrong
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20190830_184639.jpg