585,996 active members*
4,222 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

best bed design for plasma?

i'm building my plasma table with the traditional slat top. 3mm slats.
    like oxy cutting tables.

this the best way to go? i was thinking a 'bed of nails' type design to
    minimize any blowback when i crossed the supports, but thats not as
    easy to make.

hoping someone with more experience can save me some design time.
    -anthony

I can't comment of all of the options you may have, but I know that most plasma machines use slats like you're suggesting. I find that after the slats are used for a bit, you start to get sort of a bed of nails kind of support anyway. The slats are the only simple alternative I found that makes replacement easy and cheap. You can also flip and turn them to extend their use. The only issue at times is buildup on the sides and it may be easier to replace than take time trying to clean off the crud. I made 3 steel crossbars from angle that have the slots cut in them for the slats. A small piece of angle is welded perpendicular on each end of the three cross bars so that they "hang" across the machines bed/frame and the slats are simply dropped in place/installed. That way I can easily adjust the bars for extra support if needed or remove the entire setup and use a standard bed for wood work. It's fairlly straightforward but works well for me. Have fun!
    -Marc

I use slats for the bed on my machine. I have arranged the slots that hold the slats vertical so that there is a an "S" curve to the slats. By doing this, the cutting doesen't stay above the slats very long during a cut. If the slats are at square with the table you may find that much of your cutting is in a straight line that may be above the supporting slat. Slats set at an angle to the bed would give the same effect but simply by flexing the slat into the "S" shape lets me flip, move and rotate the slats for renewing the support surface. Mostly this is done for looks though because when the cuts are made through the slats it leaves the nail effect you mentioned and it doesen't take much for the support.
    never set a pace that you can't maintain
    Traveler