585,729 active members*
4,472 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Tool offset limits

The machine is a LB-15 lathe with OSP-5020L control with user task 2. Currently, the offset values are in the header lines of the program and the operators type them in before running the first part. Too many times they either type a wrong number, add a - sign or just fat finger the keys and crash the machine. I'm going to keep the offset values as close to 0 as possible and I am going to change the zero set for each tool with VZOFX and VZOFZ after it is called up. Since the edit lock is always on, they can't change the values. What I want to do is limit the value in the tool offsets so the operator can't put in too large or small of a value, say + / - 1mm just to account for tool wear. I want to make this as idiot proof as possible.

I would assume you have pre-set quick change tooling on the machine, otherwise you don't need to re-set the tools for each job, just zero set. You can also download tool offsets and put them back in via RS232 with the program.

Number 33 under optional parameter long word limits the amount of offset addition/subtraction. Initial setting is 1000 which would be (.1000). Changing this number to say 50 would be (.005). This doesn't limit the amount of times an operator can add/subtract from the offset though. Just the amount of movement each time the offset is changed.
    You might want to actually set limits on the offsets so that the machine alarms out if these limits are exceeded.
    IF [VTOFX [3] LT 1.3600] NALM1
    IF [VTOFX [3] GT 1.3750] NALM2
    IF [VTOFZ [3] LT .3450] NALM3
    IF [VTOFZ [3] GT .3550] NALM4
    G50S300
    G0G95G97X50.Z50.S50T0303M41M3
    -
    program
    -
    -
    -
    -
    M1

This is limiting offset #3 in X and Z. If offset #3 does not fall in the limits you set, the machine will alarm out and not run.

Hope this helps,

Rick

I agree with underthetire. It's too many oportunities for operator to make a fatal mistake.
    a tool offsets must be changed when tool insert is changed. It in not associated with part in most cases. So the normal ways are:
    1. saving into file and using tool set as parameter branch
    2. saving into file and using tool set as variables definition in part program
    ... via RS232 with the program ...
    Sure, the *.TOP file or set of variables definition could be stored directly in user disk (MD1: ) for easy access. It's better to save the copy on the PC, of course.
    There is variable VXMCD named "offset amount". Maybe?