585,973 active members*
4,165 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Cutting Aluminum stock......

Cutting Aluminum stock......

Well, I got into this a bit over my head....but I am trying to make the best of it. I purchased a Haas Superminimill last year and finally have got the thing setup where I can cut something! I have a person coming over to show me the ropes and cut some stuff.....

I ordered the stock today I would need.....and less than $75 worth a metal turned into $200+ just to have it cut into blanks!

So, I need to be able to cut 3/16 inch Aluminum plate and 2.5 inch round Aluminum Rod.....possibly up to 3.3.

I can't really afford a band saw. I did some searching and found something about Chop saws.....and some type of triple chip blade?

So, if someone can point me in the direction with a link to whatever I need and such, I would appreciate it.....I just need to get this thing up and running, so I can make some money!

Later EddieO

EddieO,

Harbor Freight has a bandsaw on sale for $199

http://www.harborfreight.com/horizon...saw-93762.html

If you use a coupon you may receive an additional 20% off.

Jeff...
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

I actually bought one of those long ago....took forever and a day to cut through 1/4 inch copper plate.....and the blade wasn't looking to great afterwards....I gave it to my dad....

I am hoping to find something that will cut them fast and fairly accurate...the local metal places, are basically triple charging on the metal to cut it.....and even then its 1/8" tolerance....

What interests me is these miter saw/chop saws with a special blade.....everyone makes it sound like they cut pretty fast....

Later

http://www.medfordtools.com/evolution/evo355.html

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQz9xV4sr8o"]YouTube- Evolution 380 Metal Cutting Chopsaw[/nomedia]
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

Seriously impressive tool! - not outrageously expensive either!

Quote Originally Posted by EddieO View Post
    Well, I got into this a bit over my head....but I am trying to make the best of it. I purchased a Haas Superminimill last year and finally have got the thing setup where I can cut something! I have a person coming over to show me the ropes and cut some stuff.....

I ordered the stock today I would need.....and less than $75 worth a metal turned into $200+ just to have it cut into blanks!

So, I need to be able to cut 3/16 inch Aluminum plate and 2.5 inch round Aluminum Rod.....possibly up to 3.3.

I can't really afford a band saw. I did some searching and found something about Chop saws.....and some type of triple chip blade?

So, if someone can point me in the direction with a link to whatever I need and such, I would appreciate it.....I just need to get this thing up and running, so I can make some money!

Later EddieO
    I have a good solution (told to me on here by others)

a table saw with a carbide tipped blade.

Seriously.

I cut 1" plate, 2"x3" bar stock, 3" rounds and more without any problems. The carbide blade will slice through 3/16" aluminum like a hot knife through butter.

The blade will last a long time, and all of the 5 blades or so that I have used up were killed because they got gummed up with chips. I learned to either spray some WD-40 on the blades, or a candle. This keeps the chips from sticking... I've never worn out a blade from wear and tear alone.

I have gone through 3 table saws, but I have just been buying the cheap $69 Ryobi one at Lowes/Home Depot - switch broke on one, motor burned out on another. But I cut a LOT of aluminum on them before they died.

You would be amazed at how well a table saw will slice through aluminum. Just wear a face mask to avoid hot chips hitting you and distracting you.

That Harbor Freight bandsaw will cut a lot better than what you experienced if you set it up right and buy a quality bimetal blade for it.

If you want a chop-style saw, I use a DeWalt Multicutter:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW872-14-Inch-Multi-Cutter-Saw/dp/B0000302QS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1273849966&sr=8-1-spell"]Amazon.com: DEWALT DW872 14-Inch Multi-Cutter Saw: Home Improvement[/ame]

They're fast and leave a decent cut. While they cut faster than the bandsaw, you have to attend to them, whereas the bandsaw can be left on its own while you do something else. Use a workstop that swings out of the way, and put a bucket under the bandsaw and you can cut stock all day, stopping occasionally to feed it some more stock.

Cheers,

BW
    Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:
    http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html

I just purchased a Grizzly portable metal bandsaw with stand as I needed something for larger stock. I have been using a Metal Devil blade in a Craftsman 7 1/4" miter saw. It worked great until I bent the blade. I also used the blade to cut some plate which worked great. I cut 1.25 x 1.5 6061 aluminum bar with no issues. A few lessons learned:

1. Clamp all work down.
    2. Bring the blade down real slow.
    2. When you are done with a cut, keep the saw pressed down until the blade stops.

(I bent the blade lifting the saw up, and 1.25 round stock piece rolled under and caught the blade, I also have a small hole in the wall)

For plate, I recommend the Metal Devil blade on a circular or table saw on up to 1/2" plate works great.

http://www.mkmorse.com/

Dave

I went ahead and ordered the evolution saw. After watching the video, I am pretty sold that it will do the job for me. I ordered the aluminum blade. I am gonna buy a nice little bench to mount it to and then make some jigs to hold the parts and measure them so I can pound them out quickly and safely.

Thanks for all the help...

Later EddieO