585,727 active members*
4,078 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Have any of you used ebay CNC kits?
Page 1 of 3 123

Have any of you used ebay CNC kits?

Hads any one usedf Ebay CNC kits.
    I tried searching but its such a broad question I didn't get a answerer.

For instance this kit.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/3-AXIS-CNC-Route...item3caca583ba

Now Im not saying Im going to use these motors and such.
    But Ide like to hear some feed back.
    They look like decent deals for the price. I mean for like 400$ you can get 3axis 980oz motors cars power supply ect ect ect. '
    Not bad.

So some one must of bought them.

Where did the 980oz motors come from? They would be hamstrung by the wimpy controller
    36v @ 3amps won't float many boats.............and a 1 board controller is 3x as likely to get toasted as 3 x individual controllers such as Gecko's - you pays yer money and takes yer choice!

Heres a set of 872oz for round 400 complete kit.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/COST-EFFECTIVE-N...item3effbb29e8

I wasnt asking bout any specific kit . Just in general if any one uses the ebay CNC kits?
    Why would one controller go out quicker than three.
    Im very clueless to this but usually when you take care of something it should last for awhile.

I'm building my x2 with a similar kit, purchased from Wantai Motor (wantmotor on ebay). It came with a 4 axis driver board and 4 270 oz motors, to my door for $250 CAD. Ultimate speed is not my goal, but economy sure is, and I got the whole thing for less than a G540. Wantai shipped in about 10 days from China. I haven't had a chance to mount anything to the machine yet, but everything seems to work perfectly so far. They will also make the motors in single or double shaft, and shaft length to your spec.

Let me know how it works out. I think I may get bigger motors than than for a few more bucks you can get allot bigger setup.

I'm planning on doing a build thread once I get a little farther along, stay tuned.

Quote Originally Posted by jdrew1 View Post
    I'm planning on doing a build thread once I get a little farther along, stay tuned.
    Im very interested , Ill be watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Arich0908 View Post

I wasnt asking bout any specific kit . Just in general if any one uses the ebay CNC kits?
    Im very clueless to this but usually when you take care of something it should last for awhile.
    A 6.4V motor running on a 24V power supply? That setup will be an absolute dog. You get what you pay for....

Regards,
    Ray L.

Do you have size issues? I only ask as everything you seem to need to do must be outrageously quicker, faster, larger or too big for an application. Your right! you don't know and peeps selling those kits aren't helping! The quoted inductance figure put into a well used formula to determine voltage says those motors need 124v to achieve anything like their potential - the kit gives them a 1/5th of that! Read, research then use ebay to your advantage as a savvy purchaser!
    My reasoning behind the '3x times likely' is that its more than possible a beginner will wire up a motor wrong or have a short in the wiring and poof! the whole controller is toast! - individual controllers - you only loose one!
    I'm almost waiting for the day when you've loaded so much huge stuff on to the X1's head that the column cries enough and folds itself in half!

What are you planning to power with such large motors?

Maybe some of this will be helpful:

http://crevicereamer.com/Page_2.html

CR.
    http://crevicereamer.com
    Too many PMs. Email me to my name plus At A O L dot com.

The power supply that comes with the kit.

Quote Originally Posted by HimyKabibble View Post
    A 6.4V motor running on a 24V power supply? That setup will be an absolute dog. You get what you pay for....

Regards,
    Ray L.
    You obviously aren't much help . Im asking for help because I dont know much bout the topic on hand, but you just make derogatory statements and offer no help . Instead of blurting out random statements finish your thoughts. Im not a mind reader.
    Why would the system be a "DOG"?

Quote Originally Posted by kawazuki View Post
    Do you have size issues? I only ask as everything you seem to need to do must be outrageously quicker, faster, larger or too big for an application. Your right! you don't know and peeps selling those kits aren't helping! The quoted inductance figure put into a well used formula to determine voltage says those motors need 124v to achieve anything like their potential - the kit gives them a 1/5th of that! Read, research then use ebay to your advantage as a savvy purchaser!
    My reasoning behind the '3x times likely' is that its more than possible a beginner will wire up a motor wrong or have a short in the wiring and poof! the whole controller is toast! - individual controllers - you only loose one!
    I'm almost waiting for the day when you've loaded so much huge stuff on to the X1's head that the column cries enough and folds itself in half!
    Good grief! 870 oz-in NEMA34s, and we're talking about an X1? That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever! If they were properly powered, they'd be able to twist the leadscrews into pretzels!
    Bigger is NOT always better! There is a right size for motors, and too big is as bad, if not worse, than too small. On an X1, those things would be at least 3X too big, and with that power supply and controller, the performance would still be abysmal.
    Get educated about the trade-offs, THEN buy.

Regards,
    Ray L.

The power supply that comes with the kit.

the ad says the supply is not included

personally I lean toward large motors over small one , but that driver will be a piece of crap
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

Im actually getting ready to buy a BF16 and keep my x1 manual.
    http://www.weissmachine.us/milling-m...ls/wmd16v.html

And also wouldnt I want to be able to limit a large system and turn it down rather than buying a system thats would be maxed out right out of the box?
    Not that it matters much but my X1 is no where near stock.

Thanks dertsap I didnt notice that.

This threads not bout any specific system on eBay im talking bout all of them in general.

Quote Originally Posted by kawazuki View Post
    the X1's head that the column cries enough and folds itself in half!
    Whats up with people not likening the X1 **** most have a X2 and there not nearly any better.
    Want to hear something real funny ...........
    Im machining a whole new column for it.

Yes I have a X1 I will max it out and do all I can to it.
    I feel like im in high school again.

Whats up with people not likening the X1 **** most have a X2 and there not nearly any better.
    Want to hear something real funny ...........
    Im machining a whole new column for it.

Yes I have a X1 I will max it out and do all I can to it.
    I feel like im in high school again.

don't get frustrated everyone is giving opinions based on our own experiences , do what your going to do but I feel that your better off to be over powered than under , you may sacrifice a bit of speed for torque but then what good is the speed without the torque anyhow
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

Im actually getting ready to buy a BF16 and keep my x1 manual.
    http://www.weissmachine.us/milling-m...ls/wmd16v.html

That Weiss machine is limited by a MT2 spindle. You'd be much better off with a Grizzly G0704:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Dril...th-Stand/G0704 Unless you have literally GOBs of Mt2 tooling already for the X1.

Either the G0704 mill or BF20 should run really well with my recommended X3 electronics:
    http://crevicereamer.com/Page_30.html

CR.
    http://crevicereamer.com
    Too many PMs. Email me to my name plus At A O L dot com.

Quote Originally Posted by Crevice Reamer View Post
    That Weiss machine is limited by a MT2 spindle. You'd be much better off with a Grizzly G0704:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Dril...th-Stand/G0704 Unless you have literally GOBs of Mt2 tooling already for the X1.

Either the G0704 mill or BF20 should run really well with my recommended X3 electronics:
    http://crevicereamer.com/Page_30.html

CR.
    Thanks CR ,
    I know It has a MT2 spindle. I want one.
    I just bought 1000$ in tooling all in MT2 so ill stick with it. My collet set is ER32. I cant be that limited.
    For few hundred more I can get a 20
    http://www.weissmachine.us/wmd20v.html
    For 65 more $$
    I can get the larger table from the 25 or 30 im unsure.

As far as people giving there opinion.
    Opinions are great . Sarcastic criticism and nastiness are unneeded.
    Some people like throwing nasty comments out for no reason not supported by facts just to say stuff to piss people off.
    Not only me Ive seen it in plenty threads.
    One person will come along and think there better for me as example because I have a SX1 and they have a X2 . Are you serious your mill is just as big a piece as mine.
    Some people seem like they get real jealous like . Almost like there afraid to be shown up. I have to have the best.
    This isn't High school . Slow down on the beer and act like an adult , please participate in the discussion with in the forum with out the sarcasm and criticism.
    I see this allot on this board its not cool .

I try to treat people the way ide like to be treated and I must say some of the comments made I would never say to someone.

Thanks CR ,
    I know It has a MT2 spindle. I want one.
    I just bought 1000$ in tooling all in MT2 so ill stick with it. My collet set is ER32. I cant be that limited.
    For few hundred more I can get a 20
    http://www.weissmachine.us/wmd20v.html
    For 65 more $$
    I can get the larger table from the 25 or 30 im unsure.

As far as people giving there opinion.
    Opinions are great . Sarcastic criticism and nastiness are unneeded.
    Some people like throwing nasty comments out for no reason not supported by facts just to say stuff to piss people off.
    Not only me Ive seen it in plenty threads.
    One person will come along and think there better for me as example because I have a SX1 and they have a X2 . Are you serious your mill is just as big a piece as mine.
    Some people seem like they get real jealous like . Almost like there afraid to be shown up. I have to have the best.
    This isn't High school . Slow down on the beer and act like an adult , please participate in the discussion with in the forum with out the sarcasm and criticism.
    I see this allot on this board its not cool .

I try to treat people the way ide like to be treated and I must say some of the comments made I would never say to someone.
    Not trying to kick the pot just a GOOD suggestion, you might want to do ALOT more research before you even think about buying some sort of "kit"
    that will solve all your questions, I know you are asking for feedback from people with personal experiences with these controllers, but obviously there arent many here using these systems and for good reason

as far as peoples comments to the amount of power/speed needed well, I personally dont leave that up to other peoples opinions I DO THE MATH!
    there are formulas for calculating all requirements of a stepper based system
    you just need to do the research and learn the systems, asking questions here is great but, I have read through this thread and found VERY GOOD advice from VERY QUALIFIED members, take it for what it is KNOWLEDGE

Quote Originally Posted by cornbinder23 View Post
    Not trying to kick the pot just a GOOD suggestion, you might want to do ALOT more research before you even think about buying some sort of "kit"
    that will solve all your questions, I know you are asking for feedback from people with personal experiences with these controllers, but obviously there arent many here using these systems and for good reason

as far as peoples comments to the amount of power/speed needed well, I personally dont leave that up to other peoples opinions I DO THE MATH!
    there are formulas for calculating all requirements of a stepper based system
    you just need to do the research and learn the systems, asking questions here is great but, I have read through this thread and found VERY GOOD advice from VERY QUALIFIED members, take it for what it is KNOWLEDGE
    Im sure most that have commented know what there speaking of.
    I guess your missing what im saying .
    The wise ass remarks aren't needed. Im adult. This is an adult forum. The childish remarks and statements can be left out of the discussion.
    Thats all.

Page 1 of 3 123