585,997 active members*
4,950 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Have any of you used ebay CNC kits?
Page 2 of 3 123
    Actually I think Ray's comment was one of the more useful ones in the thread! Perhaps you should try to not take it so personally?

As people have already mentioned you should do more research and locate the information necessary to calculate your power needs. This is really a must if you want to fit your machine with the right hardware and not overpay for something that may be entirely unnecessary for your app.

I would highly suggest that you download some manuals to some real drives and motors (any true industrial brand should do) as they will generally have a wealth of information (formulas, etc...) on sizing your power requirements as well as how to properly wire them together. Proper grounding, cable sizing, length, etc..., is always covered in these manuals if they are industrial quality units. This will provide a wealth of resources for you to work from.

Once you have done a little homework then it would be safe to start posting your questions, but even then, I would begin in the Electronics discussion forum and not here in the benchtop forum. If you are fortunate you will receive guidance from Al_the_man however I don't suggest bothering with that until you have versed yourself with the general process as you may just get even more frustrated by his responses than you are here.

You have to realize that this process can be extremely technical (if not borderline mystical) and if you are getting frustrated this early in the process then you might want to consider buying a pre-converted machine because this path you are heading down will give you FAR more frustration than you can imagine. Be prepared to spend many hours pulling your hair out - even if you do go with a "kit". Just mho

Good luck!

Hey CR, I love how much work you have in your site. I was smiling when you were discribing how the motors work. I am in a very overpriced engineering and research school, and half the class still didnt understand the "right hand rule" (which granted, is applied for many things).

Reading your 100 odd pages up there explaining how things worked may have saved a few people I know 30 grand for last years tuition!

Seriously people, do you have any idea how much solid information is out there? And how much you will have to learn to build one of these machines. I am 85% done with zounds of money in the hole already and still look in amazement at all the fields involved to properly engineer, modify, and use a CNC.

You have to be a mechanical engineer, electrical engineer, computer science degree holder (luckily I have that at least), accountant, and in the end you still will have to learn how to be a machinist.

Why do people get angry when others who spent months and years learning themselves, tell you that there is no simple answer and you should start reading and doing the work yourself?

If you really are ready, and want the best, and think we are jealous of your, well, whatever...then buy the gear. Just guess at what you need, then put it together and learn the lessons you will need to learn. There is no shame, close the mouth and do it.

If you cant seem to get through all the opinions and actual science/math then just make a decision and don't look back-you will have to do the math later anyway or sell everything on craigslist.

The knowledge is worth more than the money you lose, if you learn how to use your knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Crevice Reamer View Post
    What are you planning to power with such large motors?

Maybe some of this will be helpful:

http://crevicereamer.com/Page_2.html

CR.

You have no clue what im upset bout ?I can tell. Has nothing to do with me thinking people are jealous . That would be just childish and stupid.
    It goes way beyond this thread and this forum. It has nothing to do with maching, cnc kits, mills....

Quote Originally Posted by Arich0908 View Post
    You have no clue what im upset bout ?I can tell. Has nothing to do with me thinking people are jealous . That would be just childish and stupid.
    It goes way beyond this thread and this forum. It has nothing to do with maching, cnc kits, mills....
    ok, well your on the internet. maybe there is a better forum. No sarcasm here at all. Find the source of whatever is making you angry and confront it. Here we have strangers who, for some reason, hang around and answer the same questions again and again and again for free. No pay, nothing..just kindness.

so find a place for that anger that helps, and come here with specific questions, because general questions get general answers and being mad or hurt will do nothing but drive away those who can help.

And I rely on these guys/gals a lot, they helped me through a lot of questions and have put tons of effort up to help the general public..for free... Cherish that because it is a delicate thing, and take any smartass comments with a grain of salt.

It is the price you pay for free and incredibly informed/experienced knowledge. And it is a very small price to pay....its all good.

I picked and choose d what advice to listen too and ended up overspending a lot because I decided to over do it rather than under do it...and I wish I had made other decisions. because I would have had quicker, more accurate system. But I am trying to make the best of my poor choices and get something done.

People need to learn how to treat one another. Just because , " Im not paying you , this is free service" and I cant see you or dont know you it dose not mean we deserve to be disrespect each other. It wasnt the way I was raised. Its not the way I want my kids to treat others.
    I see it all the time forum after forum it seems like one big pissing contest from some members not all .
    I ran into a lady on ebay three weeks ago. I dont know her from a hole in the wall. Her father died . He has all types of tools she dose not know what they are. I dont need not one of them. She been trying to sell them. Ive sent her link after link and picture emails ect ect ect with exp[lanations of what each tool is and what I think there worth.
    Why have i took out a half hour out of my day each day for three weeks. Simple. Because if I died and my children mother had to sell off my stuff I wish some one in the world was as nice as me with out trying to rip her off or expecting anything in return just simply helped her. Just was human. But thats not how it is. Most people you meet now a days are angry and mean. Or there nice and back stab you he first second they get.

More relative to this thread just because I didn't go out and spend 600 800 1000 on a mill dose not mean its not worth fiddling round with a building it.It my hobby my machine its what I do in my down time.
    Off the top my head ,
    Comments like I cant wait to see my column fold under its own pressure are not needed.
    We all know that would never happen. Thats one comment of plenty just in this thread.
    Go back to the first post I ever made here something was said so bad the mods edited it and I could even see it. But there were four more post like that in one thread my first thread?
    I feel its my money let me choose where to draw the line and consider it a waist . I didnt ask how to manage my money . I asked bout CNC kits. Im a grow man. I can make that decision.
    It seems like if you dont start out with the X2 your not worthy to discuss any thing here .
    Guess what from most of what ive read the X2 is just a big of piece as the X1 .
    O yeah but the X2 has R8 that makes up for all of it.

Like I said it seems like one big pissing contest. I asked bought 10,000 CNC stepper kits on ebay and I got allot of sarcasm and negativity. Thats no way to treat some one.
    Im sorry for the rant but this is a dead thread I barley found out what I wanted to . Im not posting in it again.

Anthony.........

i am seeing tons of good advice and people putting a lot of time in to help you, nobody has said anything rude mean or out of line. Not being appreciative of all the great help is making you look much more disrespectful then anyone else here in the thread... and making people not want to help...

Quote Originally Posted by Teyber12 View Post
    i am seeing tons of good advice and people putting a lot of time in to help you, nobody has said anything rude mean or out of line. Not being appreciative of all the great help is making you look much more disrespectful then anyone else here in the thread... and making people not want to help...
    Seems like some people make up their minds what they're going to do, and make a post asking for advise only so others can tell them what a great choice they've made. But then they get bent out of shape when people who, through years of experience, understand the issues tries to point out the errors in their judgment. The only way those people will learn is the hard, and expensive, way.

The OP asked for opinions a while back on the huge spindle motor (3HP was it?) he put on his X1, then got upset at the many people who (quite predictably) pointed out it was way over-sized for such a small machine and would provide no benefit whatsoever. Now he's asked what people think about the Brand X motor/controller kits on E-Bay, and (quite predictably) pretty much everyone told him they're not worth the money, and won't perform well. But, he'll no doubt buy them anyway. So why waste time asking questions, if you already know the only answer you're looking for? Especially when the answers are predictable, if you take just a little time to read and learn from the hundreds of other threads showing what others have done with similar machines, and what has worked well, and what hasn't? It's a mystery to me....

There's no better way to get people to stop even trying to help you than to bite their heads off and get all huffy just because you don't like the very sound advice they give you. Nobody here owes anyone an answer on anything. But people asking the questions should at least feel some obligation to do a little basic research before asking questions on topics that have been covered a thousand times, and for which links to copious reference material is offered on an almost daily basis. Crevice Reamers excellent writeups on stepper motor, controller and power supply sizing must only be posted about a thousand times a year.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Quote Originally Posted by hoss2006 View Post
    when you sober up you can edit out the garbage you posted, I can only hope that you actually know Anthony and are just joking.
    there is NO call for an attack like that.
    Hoss
    This was in the first post I every made here . Fact is a mod changed it it was so rude.

HimyKabibble ,
    Other member said it would be fine to use the 3hp motor . It was 3hp at peak and more like 1hp contiuos.
    But I was upset that other members where telling me that the current/ volts couldn't be adjust from 0-90 when they infact could.
    It seems like when you get older your so stuck in your way if some one trys something different its automatically wrong.
    But infact thats how new things get get invented.
    But you know whats funny I infact put that huge 2.5hp motor on my mill. Do you really think it offered no benefit what so ever . What kind of advice is that? Thats aggravating also. You know it would improve the mill 10 fold. as it did. I couldn't cut steel at all. Now I can. I can use bigger end mills. there are 100s of ways it improved the mill. My largest pass with the old 150w motor was .010 now I could take a hole .100 easily . I haven't tryied to go bigger haven't needed to .
    This is the type of comments you make in many threads.
    Quote Originally Posted by HimyKabibble View Post
    Tell ya what... You go buy one, and hook it up, and *after* you get it working as you want, THEN you can tell us we're all wrong. I won't be holding my breath....

Regards,
    Ray L.
    Ray guess what you were wrong I did it. The motor is on the mill and the current is very adjustable from 0v all the way to 90v. You can take a breath of relief now.
    This is one of the many wise ass comments that are made.

And to point out something you said
    Quote Originally Posted by HimyKabibble View Post
    A 6.4V motor running on a 24V power supply? That setup will be an absolute dog. You get what you pay for....

Regards,
    Ray L.
    What does that mean ? It will be a dog you just blurt out random statments with no explanation. Yes when your resaerching something and you quite dont undderstand it staments like that get fraustating. Remember there was a point in time when you didnt know it all.
    Quote Originally Posted by kawazuki View Post
    Do you have size issues? D
    Quote Originally Posted by kawazuki View Post
    I'm almost waiting for the day when you've loaded so much huge stuff on to the X1's head that the column cries enough and folds itself in half!
    This is just this thread alone. take some time and go through my other threads.
    Teyber12
    Maybe Im a little bent out of shape bout everything and nothing .
    I appreciate the help I get from members. If Im taking what was said out of context then Im truly sorry. Unfortunately I cant see any one or feel there emotion what may seem like a simple joke to them may be something total different to me. Again if thats the case I apologize.

if your going for a dirt cheap cnc check out a kylotex box or a hobbycnc kit
    http://www.hobbycnc.com/
    It seems a lot of people with diy wood routers use these with OK results. they fry very easily but will make parts.

If you feel someone is being rude, i find its best to just ignore/ not respond to that part of the comment. Makes people not be mean anymore but when you try to poke back it will escalate, case in hand

speaking on rays advice, have you read this so many times you can recite it in your sleep
    http://crevicereamer.com/Page_2.html
    cheers

People need to learn how to treat one another
    A lot of people are complete idiots on the internet. The proper way to deal with them, is to ignore them. Any confrontation will quickly escalate, every single time.
    Ignore them and move on.

Originally Posted by HimyKabibble View Post

A 6.4V motor running on a 24V power supply? That setup will be an absolute dog. You get what you pay for....

Regards,
    Ray L.

What does that mean ? It will be a dog you just blurt out random statments with no explanation. Yes when your resaerching something and you quite dont undderstand it staments like that get fraustating. Remember there was a point in time when you didnt know it all.
    For best performance, steppers should be run at 10-20x their rated voltage. The formula to determine the max voltage is 32 times the square root of the rated inductance.

Speed is proportional to voltage. the higher the voltage, the faster they'll spin. Running at very low voltage will severely limit your top speed.

Keep in mind, though, that the higher the voltage, the hotter the motor will get.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

ger21 , Teyber12
    Thank you , for the advice.
    Teyber12 ,
    Ive being reading CR site for the better part of today it has alot of valuable information it it. Thank you.
    I will look into the wood router forum also.
    ger21
    I didnt know that you were suppose to over power the motors that much. Yes that means I would need a totally different power supply to properly power them
    That also means I can buy a much lower end motor. Thank you.

Originally Posted by hoss2006
    when you sober up you can edit out the garbage you posted, I can only hope that you actually know Anthony and are just joking.
    there is NO call for an attack like that.
    Hoss
    This was in the first post I every made here . Fact is a mod changed it it was so rude.
    I hope you don't think I was the rude one, my comment was directed at ibuildstuff4u and his rude comment.
    I edited it later after he did the same.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showpo...2&postcount=10
    I'll PM you.
    Hoss
    http://www.hossmachine.info - Gosh, you've... really got some nice toys here. - Roy Batty -- http://www.g0704.com - http://www.bf20.com - http://www.g0602.com

Have any of you used ebay CNC kits?

Have you mentioned what your budget is. I see mention of a $400 kit. I just went through this process and bought all my gear at keling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by hoss2006 View Post
    I hope you don't think I was the rude one, my comment was directed at ibuildstuff4u and his rude comment.
    I edited it later after he did the same.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showpo...2&postcount=10
    I'll PM you.
    Hoss
    No hoss you have been very helpful and nice. I didnt want this to be taken this far . It isnt that important that its a life crisis this is going a little to far now. Im not a victim of a hate crime . I just wanted it to be know that some people should watch how they talk to other people .
    Not even me just be nicer to your fellow man. Who knows I could be a raving drunk and go beat my wife after reading a comment that upset me ( Thats a joke)

As far as budget goes. I dont have one set what ever gets the job done and I build a hi quality machine.

Seeing as you're in the US have a look at item number 250623479778 Slightly more upmarket than the "cheap" underpowered drivers in your original post...And they are actually powerful enough to power the kneemill in the original advert.....and a good price imo.... I use 2 of those with 3nm motors to drive my plasma table with 2 50V 10A PSU's

Have fun and if a mistake is to be made....make it a cheap one!
    Keith

I also wanted to point out I grabbed a 3 axis kit for like 200.00+ It is the controller and drives, no power supply. but I have power supplies all over the place here. They arent brutes but after spending weeks getting emails and posts from people recommending steppers before spending a huge amount of money on my current setup (still building btw, so close though)-ordering a kit with controller, bob, and steppers was a relief. I can take pictures if you like. not hooked up yet, but truthfully, the kit I got could run an X1 quite well. take a look around. you don't need a lot of oz-inches. gearing, voltage and acceleration curves can be tweaked to do some cool things with limited resources.

Hi Arich,
    I bought a Wantai kit of 1317oz motors x 3, 5.8 amp drivers x 3, breakout board and a 24v power supply. They supplied little info, googled most of stuff for info and what i couldn't find i found at Kelings website as it appears that Wantai ripped off Keling's designs.
    It runs not baddish, I boosted the power to 50volt by daisy chaining 2 pc power supplys in the mix.
    It did show resonance though, a little bummed out, but i'll get by.
    A lot of poison posts off topic going on here, cant vouch for anyone else's level of sobriety but i have to say i played the fool a couple of times in these forums and it really just made me realise that i shouldn't get loaded on beer and vent anger online.
    Keep it nice hey guys?

P.S; the 870oz motors with reduction gearing might be better than 1317oz direct drive for torque drop off.

ebay 1600oz kits fake or truth

Quote Originally Posted by elmerfud View Post
    Hi Arich,
    I bought a Wantai kit of 1317oz motors x 3, 5.8 amp drivers x 3, breakout board and a 24v power supply. They supplied little info, googled most of stuff for info and what i couldn't find i found at Kelings website as it appears that Wantai ripped off Keling's designs.
    It runs not baddish, I boosted the power to 50volt by daisy chaining 2 pc power supplys in the mix.
    It did show resonance though, a little bummed out, but i'll get by.
    A lot of poison posts off topic going on here, cant vouch for anyone else's level of sobriety but i have to say i played the fool a couple of times in these forums and it really just made me realise that i shouldn't get loaded on beer and vent anger online.
    Keep it nice hey guys?

P.S; the 870oz motors with reduction gearing might be better than 1317oz direct drive for torque drop off.
    hi friend,
    i am also interested in buying one of those kits with 1600oz torque ratings for a new mini mill project. But when i see the current and voltage ratings of the motors, the drivers and the power suppy, the kit seems to be a fake.
    5A at 24V cannot deliever 1600 oz or it can really?
    i have a probotix stepper kit with nema23 motors having 42V at 3A giving 400oz-in torque. This probotix kit works and i have good experiences with it till now.

I want to know that does these ebay kits really do what they say? 1600oz, 800oz in such a good price or these are just a little big motors with poor torques? and do the drivers have thermal protection, short circuit protection ?

your experience with your kit will help me a lot.
    thanks,
    jasminder singh
    It is better to die for something than to live for nothing.

[QUOTE=elmerfud;782281 for info and what i couldn't find i found at Kelings website as it appears that Wantai ripped off Keling's designs.
    .[/QUOTE]

its all the same stuff , Keling is Chinese import , all that Chinese crap is made in one factory and everyone sticks their name on it
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

Quote Originally Posted by Arich0908 View Post
    ger21
    I didnt know that you were suppose to over power the motors that much. Yes that means I would need a totally different power supply to properly power them
    That also means I can buy a much lower end motor. Thank you.
    I'm not the only one then! I must have seen that information, and not quite comprehended it a dozen times before it stuck. Some of the physics and electronics here run contrary to my natural expectations.

Take comfort in the fact that you are not the only one learning and making mistakes along the way.

Page 2 of 3 123