585,712 active members*
4,234 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Burny 5 guidance needed.

Hello all,

My cousin just bought a Burny 5 from a local community college that is supposed to work. He's familiar with machining/fabrication but not with computers. I'm more familiar with computers but not with the machining/fabrication. He's got the table set up and it seems to power up and he said he's been able to get the eye to follow sharpy drawings so he thinks he can get it cutting in the next week or so.

There's a few things we'd like. Does anyone have an operators/startup/test manual? I've contacted ITT and haven't received a response.

The table also came with an old Windows95 computer with next to nothing on it. It has a mixed bag of serial cables but I don't know which ones are required. There is a db9 serial connector from the Burny that can connect to the computer but there is also a db25 Burny dongle that I think might be a HW key? I guess the short question is what is required to talk to the table (software etc) and transfer drawings to it and what are some of the options for CAD that will work with this machine? We initially just want to get it working with something and then choose a more right solution later.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.

I think I have a Burny manual but unfortunately it is hard copy, in the mean time the 2.5 may help.
    http://www.coe.montana.edu/met/facul...AO-73290AA.pdf
    The language that the Burny used is called ESSI, the RS232 is nothing special, usually any modem program will work.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Sweet, thanks. Forgive the basic questions. Is the PC/Serial connection simply for getting drawings onto the Burny or is it used for computer control of the unit? Also, if it is only for getting drawings onto the Burny, what is the file type and what are is the software that can generate those files?

Thanks again.

Just to upload part programs.
    It has been a while, I will have to look up my notes, but the manual should give you some insight to the ESSI file format.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

The Burny 5 is a Burny 3 with a color CRT Screen.
    Look inside at the right side cover and you will see a Burny3, front display screen and everything tucked up to the side panel.

It is not a PC based controller.
    It uses a 16 bit TI microcontroller that was obsolete in the late 80's.
    The main processor clock is 1 MHZ. The origanal PC and AT's were 4 MHZ.

The Burny will run on ESSI or Word Address programming.
    You will need to make a part using a Cad program (AutoCad, BobCad, whateverCad!)
    Then export the drawing to a post processor that will convert it to Word Address or ESSI, then you need a DNC program to handle downloading to the Burny serial port.

MTC Software has programs that will handle the Post Processing and DNC, but it will set you back over $2kl.

http://www.mtc-software.com
    They are not the only but they are the biggest.

I am not sure if Burny has put the 3 & 5 manuals online.
    Call them at 800321 8072 and talk directly to Burny Service.
    They will send you a link if they are online, or sell you one through customer service.

Good Luck,
    Alan Bradford
    www.plasmatechnologies.com

Hi, I have been usign a burny 5 for 6 years with HT MAX 200, in regards to transfer the programs between the pc and machine you can look on the internet, maybe you can find something, for CAM I use Mastercam 9, but there are a few freewares. BUT the way you said, when a dongle comes with a pc like yours, you could have the softwares included, because the pc was used to comunicate with the machine... I have the manual in PDF, but have to find LOL... mail me at "julio_gyn at yahoo.com.br"

Hello all,
    I have one b2.5 plus broken. I looking for internal schematics because the capacitors c31 is completly burned.I don't know the value.If somebody can to help me with this drawings please.
    thank you all.

I have been selling and servicing Burny Systems for the past 20 years and have never seen a circuit diagram fopr the main PC boards.
    They keep them to themselves.
    Most likely if the Capacator is smoked than lots of other components may be bad.
    There are at least 4 different versions of the 2.5 so it would be hard for us to help anyway.
    Your best bet is to contact Burny directly.

http://www.burny.com/techinical-support.cfm

They can help identify the C31 value, and maybe correct your problem.

Good Luck,
    Alan Bradford
    www.plasmatechnologies.com

Hy,
    Tahnk you Alan, for your sugestion.I knowed that: this drawings is one big secret for us.
    For old model burny 2.5 (without plus) I have the drawings for power boards only (not for PC boards) if somebody have need write me here.I installing and made service for CNC machines (cutting and welding machines ) in last 10 years only but with burny sistems only in last 5 years. all other companies give me all documentation to can to do my job. this company Burny never and I don't understand why???I hope to solve this problem.
    Thank you again and all the best for all .

Quote Originally Posted by peterro View Post
    Hello all,

My cousin just bought a Burny 5 from a local community college that is supposed to work. He's familiar with machining/fabrication but not with computers. I'm more familiar with computers but not with the machining/fabrication. He's got the table set up and it seems to power up and he said he's been able to get the eye to follow sharpy drawings so he thinks he can get it cutting in the next week or so.

There's a few things we'd like. Does anyone have an operators/startup/test manual? I've contacted ITT and haven't received a response.

The table also came with an old Windows95 computer with next to nothing on it. It has a mixed bag of serial cables but I don't know which ones are required. There is a db9 serial connector from the Burny that can connect to the computer but there is also a db25 Burny dongle that I think might be a HW key? I guess the short question is what is required to talk to the table (software etc) and transfer drawings to it and what are some of the options for CAD that will work with this machine? We initially just want to get it working with something and then choose a more right solution later.

Thanks.
    I've also just received a table with a Burny 5 controller and no manuals. I contacted ITT and the next day I had a login/password to their internal database. There are manuals for everything there, so just contact them and ask for access.

http://www.burny.com/techinical-support.cfm

Re: Burny 5 guidance needed.

Hello all,

I have Burny 5 but its monitor turns black, I can't see anything. Is it possible to install computer monitor in Burny 5?

Thanks

I think so, the burny has a CRT monitor, so, if the connectors are the same it should work

Thanks for the reply, do you have a wiring diagram of burny 5 monitor?
    My burny 5 monitor has 2 wires, one for 110 volts power supply and the other one is for display, which is connected at the PC Board of picture tube with 9 small wires.
    I have no idea which wire to connect to a computer monitor.

I don't have it, the company sold the burny... but, if they come from the monitor on the machine, they may be color coded, will see if I can find any info on that and post back to you