584,860 active members*
5,239 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Automatic Oiler vs Manual Oiler

I am looking at buying a Tormach 770 Mill and am trying to decide if I should get the Automatic Oiler option (~$200)? I assume the reason to get the Automatic Oiler would be if your jobs take greater than the recomended manual oiling period of 4 hours? Without an ATC, not sure how much this would happen. I plan on doing prototype machining with the 770.

Has anyone had problems with the Automatic Oiler?

Thanks,

bruce34rr

I haven't had any problems with mine, then again I just got my machine in and installed it. I am doing prototype work as well but opted for the auto oiler out of convenience as I knew I would forget to manually oil the machine. Was actually very easy to install and setup. Time will tell how well it does

I have the oiler too. haven't had it that long, but so far so good. easy to set up once i got the right fittings. they shipped the wrong ones but they sent me the correct ones quickly.
    so far i'm happy with it.

I use the manual oiler and see no need for the automatic one. If I were running a shop and had employees running the machine I'd opt for the auto oiler simply because you cannot always trust that other people are going to pull the lever on a regular basis.

I like the automatic oiler - I mounted it on the wall behind the machine where it is out of the way, but easy to fill.

Been using my auto unit for quite awhile now, no problems at all. Installed a bulkhead fitting through the bottom of the side tray and hooked it up there.
    Only real downside I've come across is that it only times when the spindle is running. (220v version anyway).
    Since I may not use the machine for several days, and then when powered up it's usually lots of jogging and positioning prior to running. I like to give the system a shot of oil before moving it around so I have to remember to turn the spindle on, press the override for a few seconds, then home the machine and start playing. Of course remembering to do this would have also allowed me to remember to crank the manual one every few hours too....
    Mooser

Quote Originally Posted by Mooser View Post
    Been using my auto unit for quite awhile now, no problems at all. Installed a bulkhead fitting through the bottom of the side tray and hooked it up there.
    Only real downside I've come across is that it only times when the spindle is running. (220v version anyway).
    Since I may not use the machine for several days, and then when powered up it's usually lots of jogging and positioning prior to running. I like to give the system a shot of oil before moving it around so I have to remember to turn the spindle on, press the override for a few seconds, then home the machine and start playing. Of course remembering to do this would have also allowed me to remember to crank the manual one every few hours too....
    Mooser
    120V version is same way spindle must be turning. However, I did some air cutting tonight and left the machine sitting while I went in to do some reading. My dad said he heard the machine running and went buy to see what i was machining. After checking the sound he heard was the oiler running for a few seconds. Not sure why it would run with the machine just sitting there one with nothing running or moving.