586,005 active members*
4,974 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > New Shield and Coolant Fittings !!!

New Shield and Coolant Fittings !!!

The appearance and performance of my Tormach's plexiglass and Loc Line needed to be replaced !!!

- Plexiglass had some weird fungus growing inside the plastic (clouding my visibility) and also started to turn yellow (not that this is a major issue). My main concern was I wanted something a little taller to protect my face. So standing behind 1/4" lexan has me feeling a little more safe.

- For some reason the loc line that came with my setup would not move without force, and the line always popped off the value fitting. Not to mention almost hitting my 6k camera setup and soaking me in coolant, I had enough....

Parts purchased at Enco, Lowes & Homedepot and spent less than $40

I had 2 Snap Flow 1/4" hose kits laying around from my pervious CNC DIY Mill, so I'm not sure if this kit is still sold at Enco or not, but think I paid a little under $16 for both.

As for the brass fittings, here's a picture that shows the exact model number and company.

Note I purchased two different step down pipe sizes due to what came with my kit. You might be able to skip these products if you find a kit that offers two of the same size Snap Flow threaded fittings.

Very nice indeed.

It looks like you used pipe dope and not Teflon tape, is that correct?

Also, how do you like the Shars vice?
    -Jeff

Looks way too clean. It won't look so clean after you actually start making chips and coolant splashes on everything :-)

Actually it's the tape, I just really pushed it in the threads to stop any kind of leaks.

Shars vise for the price is amazing. It's pretty heavy (80 lbs) and sticks about 1" off the Y to much, however I take on some pretty larger work.

"Looks way too clean. It won't look so clean after you actually start making chips and coolant splashes on everything :-)"

My machine ? Hahah.... Yea I take 20 minutes every time to clean my machine with WD40 and a vacuum.

twocik,

I added an anti-siphon valve inline and later added a 3/8" ball valve like you did.
    http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i1...iphonvalve.jpg
    I was trying to eleiminate the 2 second delay in coolant flow. Can't say that the anti-siphon valve really did help though.

Don

BTW Lexan is great stuff...use it myself for shielding.
    Also ball valves are great. I have replaced almost every gate valve in my house plumbing with ball valves.