585,591 active members*
2,575 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Turners Cube

Turners Cube

OK My new Tormach is in and I now have a running SprutCAM lic again, so time to relearn what I was using in the demo version.

I am setting up a turners cube and would like to hog the first hole out with a 1/2IN end mill (right or wrong). However I can't for the life of me get the tool to stop at the next square's surface. I have tried waterline, pocket and even 5D Hole machinining which I think would work awesome if it actually does turn the 4th axis on my machine. But I can't get the depth to simply just cut the first hole. Any suggestions on what I am doing wrong. Attached is a pic of the cube as reference (most know what they are).

please attach your project with the not working operations , we will see what`s wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by pit202 View Post
    please attach your project with the not working operations , we will see what`s wrong.
    I appreciate the help, but as a general rule, I don't post projects in public s forums (even though this one doesn't matter). Once you do, it becomes public knowledge and is no longer proprietary. So out of habit, i refrain from posting any files. In this case I was looking more for suggestions on how to start, as I have not saved anything to really post.

But, I did get it working by using the 5D hole Machining and using the !Reference feature. It found the holes and created the path, however when posted to my Tormach it did not run correctly so need to verify what functions of 5D machining will work.

simple TC using 5D holes
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks I was going to try and set something up and post, but realized what I was doing wrong and you have correct or at least you are using the 4-axis milling and I had forgotten to change that. Posted code and it worked somewhat now to just play with the tool numbers and get ready for some material.

I have tried running your code through my Tormach with no luck. Anyone running SprutCam with a Tormach know why the Gcode will not spiral cut? It rotates material, but only does a single hole drill, not a spiral.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum164 View Post
    I have tried running your code through my Tormach with no luck. Anyone running SprutCam with a Tormach know why the Gcode will not spiral cut? It rotates material, but only does a single hole drill, not a spiral.
    Change the "NC code format" field from "Canned Cycle" to "Long Hand".

@wvines

Thanks.. That is exactly what was missing, I could tell the minute I processed it and worked like a charm in the machine..... Still cutting air but won't be long till the material is here to actually start cutting something!

For some reason I can't open your file now.. Downloading the newest version, but back again working on this now that I have some material and machine is setup.

First cuts indicates my 0,0,0 in SprutCAM may not be what I think it is in M# on my Tormach. What is the proper way to setup the coordinates for the machine?

Also.. Simulation runs fine in SprutCAM but on the machine doesn't seem to be correct on the tool path. Toolpath seems to go straight down on outside when it should be smaller as it goes down.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails toolpath.jpg